Rather odd "sort of feeding" question

RachelB

Visit site
This sounds a bit strange, but does anyone want to take a guess (preferably a fairly educated one!) at whether a handful of diced carrot or a handful of high fibre nuts (eg. the D&H ones) are likely to be more "nutritious"?! My fattie is bored with being on a diet and absolutely loves her snak-a-ball, but I've only chopped two carrots so far and I'm fed up of it already... if someone could tell me that I'd be better off feeding her high fibre nuts and that she won't put on loads of weight on a handful a day, it'd be much appreciated
smirk.gif
grin.gif

RachelB

Visit site
Oh I like cheap!! I've never come across grass nuts so I haven't the foggiest about them... are they just literally grass compressed into a nut shape?!

SirenaXVI

s17.photobucket.com
[ QUOTE ]
Oh I like cheap!! I've never come across grass nuts so I haven't the foggiest about them... are they just literally grass compressed into a nut shape?!

[/ QUOTE ]

Be careful if you use grass nuts, a lot of them need to be soaked. The other thing to think about is that grass nuts have a fairly high DE and can be quite conditioning, you would be much better looking for a high fibre nut with a DE of 8 - 9 if your horse is a fattie.

Spyda

Visit site
I wouldn't recommend the Alfalfa or grass nuts TBH. Alfalfa is conditioning and relatively expensive (although a handful of nuts surely wouldn't harm him a day) and grass nuts can taste bitter and disgusting!

Would you be able to use something like Spillers Happy Hoof. It's loose and chaffy with little pellets in it. My horses love it, the fussies, the fatties and the skinnies alike. That, or stick with the Hi Fi cubes. Carrots are quite high in sugar so the cubes or Happy Hoof would be preferable.

RachelB

Visit site
I definitely wouldn't use AlfaA, that was what got the condition on her when she was too skinny! I'll steer clear of the grass nuts then, thanks for the advice everyone. High fibre nuts it is!