RATS!!

lucky7

Visit site
I have had my field shelter and stables in for just a year. One of the stables has been turned into a storage room for hay and feed - the feed is in metal bins and nothing is left out. However i seen a big rat in there yesterday and theres evidence of them everywhere :(
Whats the best way to rid of them? poison? been here almost 10 years with my shed and only had a few mice, never rats!!

Shay

Visit site
If you've got a large infestation it might be worth getting professional help. The types of poison you can buy as a private person are not going to be strong enough. If you are a licensed pest controller you can buy stuff that works. But it has to be used responsibly - it mustn't contaminate a water source for instance. And some types are palatable to dogs. Otherwise can you get a terrier man in? Quick and surprisingly effective without any environmental risk.

The fact you have your feed bins sealed isn't a complete deterrent incidentally. They'll take food straight from the horse's feed buckets whilst they are eating, eat soiled rugs and leatherwork.

lucky7

Visit site
Good idea! or perhaps someone with ferrets? thank you didnt think of this . Nice quick death for the rats too!

Shay

Visit site
Speak to your local hunt - they may well know someone in the area who runs terriers or - or ferrets! - for pest control. Or a local farmer will know.

Equi

Visit site
Terrier or ferret man best option as I would never put Poison down. Too many "innocent" animals can die from it and it's a horrible death.

Merlod

Visit site
I don't like poison, I have feral cats on my yard and they do their job superbly, not only that but their presence alone keeps the rodents away!

Tyssandi

Veteran
Visit site
I have had my field shelter and stables in for just a year. One of the stables has been turned into a storage room for hay and feed - the feed is in metal bins and nothing is left out. However i seen a big rat in there yesterday and theres evidence of them everywhere :(
Whats the best way to rid of them? poison? been here almost 10 years with my shed and only had a few mice, never rats!!

I would either get a pest controller or ferral cats or put these down they work really well on getting rid of our rats http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/36-x-Raco...942987?hash=item1c727dfa4b:g:kTIAAOSwTM5Y1Uki

JillA

Visit site
I don't like poison, I have feral cats on my yard and they do their job superbly, not only that but their presence alone keeps the rodents away!

Mine too - so far they have brought me a nearly full grown rat plus a mole - all for a few tins of cat food a week.

turnbuckle

Visit site
Mine too - so far they have brought me a nearly full grown rat plus a mole - all for a few tins of cat food a week.

Not sure you're getting the best end of the deal there. Less tinned food = more hunger = more productivity? You should set them a quota :)

TelH

Visit site
Poison will do the job but it's not a particularly humane way to do it. My method of choice is a dog. It's quick and effective. My springer is a good ratter. The only disadvantage she has is that she can't get down small holes like a little terrier but if they get flushed out she's on them like lightning.

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
Not sure you're getting the best end of the deal there. Less tinned food = more hunger = more productivity? You should set them a quota :)

doesn't work like that IME. mine are prolific hunters but still get fed. they like to hunt straight after dinner!

has to be said though, not all cats will tackle a rat although most good farm cats will. if I were to have a real problem, I'd look around on FB for terrier men etc (they often advertise on farming/poultry/smallholding sites) and then get the cats.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
our outdoor farm raised cat was a midget and would never have tackled a rat, YO's cat would take rabbits but was also hopeless as a ratter thought the old terrier was good until he got too creaky.

I would perhaps just question if they are underneath the field shelter etc in which case poison might be your only real option if there is a lot.

paddy555

Visit site

nope. well fed cats hunt for the pleasure of the kill. Big rats need strong well fed cats.
OP got to a shelter or cats protection, explain what sort of cat you need, cage it or shut it in the feed room and feed it there until it settles and let it sort out your problem. A bit of cat food lying around is a lot safer than poison. Pull your bins out from the wall and make a way through the hay so it can get around everywhere.

cremedemonthe

Was Caterham on the Hill, Surrey now Wales
Visit site
Terrier men will get them out even if under things/down holes as they can smoke them out first straight to the Terriers waiting for them, quick and effective.
We used to use an old 2 stroke chainsaw with chain and guide removed and a drop more oil in the mix, the resulting cloud of smoke from the adapted exhaust with hose on it poked down the hole soon flushed them out.

Merlod

Visit site
nope. well fed cats hunt for the pleasure of the kill. Big rats need strong well fed cats.
OP got to a shelter or cats protection, explain what sort of cat you need, cage it or shut it in the feed room and feed it there until it settles and let it sort out your problem. A bit of cat food lying around is a lot safer than poison. Pull your bins out from the wall and make a way through the hay so it can get around everywhere.

Absolutely, my cats are fed twice a day and catch many mice, rats, moles, pigeons and rabbits. They seem to particularly enjoy decapitating them and leaving parts in the middle of the barn and stables.

pansymouse

Visit site
I'd get the terrier man to get the population down and then get a feral/semi feral cat from one of the rehoming charities. I think even the smell of a cat about makes rats move on. If the feral cat takes a shine to you do be prepared for a regular supply of "gifts" left in the most inconvenient places :)

Merlod

Visit site
If the feral cat takes a shine to you do be prepared for a regular supply of "gifts" left in the most inconvenient places :)

Haha I'll to not be so ungrateful next time I am filling haynets in the dim light and nonchalantly bend down to pick up my sheepskin noseband cover from the floor in front of the hay, which was in actual fact a rabbit head complete with wild staring eyes!

Clodagh

Visit site
Haha I'll to not be so ungrateful next time I am filling haynets in the dim light and nonchalantly bend down to pick up my sheepskin noseband cover from the floor in front of the hay, which was in actual fact a rabbit head complete with wild staring eyes!

Eergh! I was collecting the hens eggs after dark one nmight and put my hand in a nest box, in it was a very large, very dead rat. It was the nearest I have ever come to a Tena lady moment!

PaulieB796

New User
Visit site
If you're still having problems and you're not too far away, I would be more than happy to help you with your rat problem. I am BASC registered and insured and use air weapons to control vermin such as rats. Give me a bell if you still need help.

Regards
Paul - 07515518872