RAV 4

LifeofRiley

Visit site
Has anyone got any experience of a Rav 4 - not to tow, just as a "run around". Looking at one but is has high milage - should I be put off by this?

Thanks

RachelB

Visit site
I LOVE mine, it's just ACE
grin.gif

My friend tows with hers (lightweight one horse trailer with a 500kg horse - three-door RAV4) after much research into whether it would be legal or not... it IS legal apparently, but not at all safe IMO
crazy.gif

I don't have a tow bar anyway (or a towing license!) so that's ok!
They do rather drink petrol, but as I only work 5-10 minutes away and walk to do my horse a tank costs about £40-45 at the moment and lasts me about a month. Toyotas are apparently virtually indestructable (hence why I bought one as I managed to destroy my little Fiesta - chassis was hanging on by a thread, pretty literally!) but when they go wrong they can be expensive to fix. Mine needs a new catalytic converter and has some issues starting in this cold weather (more issues than would be normal, but I bought it with the issues and broken cat) but once that's fixed I am assured that the expense will balance out because nothing will go wrong for ages. I did a lot of research before I bought mine and 99% of the reviews and comments I got went along those lines!
I had a LOT of fun yesterday in the snow - it's just SO much fun to drive
grin.gif

ladyt25

Visit site
New model of the last model?

Old model had some problems with the fly-wheel and computer (as my mum has just recently found out!). Very expensive to fix although Toyota should have done it for free really as it was a known fault. Hers was an 02 reg and had quite high mileage when she got it about 3 years or so ago.

I think the gearbox/clutch went within the first 6 mths or so and it was this again that started with problems this year. All in all it has not been the best and she is looking for an alternative now.

I think you get a fair bit for your money with Nissan x-Trails but it might also be worth looking at Honda CRVs as Hondas have long warranties on them. I have a Suzuki Vitara 3 dr (new style) and that does me fine for commuting to work and is v easy to drive round town and park.

Depends what you're looking for really. Suzukis are cheaper but more basic but also quite robust but the likes of toyota, Honda, Nissan will probably be a more comfortable ride for longer journeys.

LifeofRiley

Visit site
Thanks for your replies.

It's an older one - "N" reg with 122K miles. I only need it to get to the yard, about 5 minutes drive from my house and I work in the city so would not do that many more miles!!!

Just don't want to buy a heap of trouble - but I appreciate you take a risk with any car!

alsxx

Visit site
I have an N reg 5door GX model; I got it from a friend of mums who had had it from new, it had done 108000 miles which works out low ish for its age. The milage on the one you are looking at is probably actually spot on for its age.

I got mine dirt cheap, and its been brilliant! We had loads of flooding recently and it was great to just drive straight through and not conk out! Its been fine in the cold weather too, although brains here did wash it on sat and have now managed to freeze my drivers door stuck!!!

I do 9miles each way to yard, and go twice a day, I generally put in 30 a week so it does ok although has been a little more thirsty this wk for some reason.

Its recommened to tow 1500kgs, friend used to tow all her goats round in it in an old rice trailer and said it was brilliant (christ knows what the weight of the trailer alone was!!). I'm going to get a lightweight cl single trailer and tow with it too as my MAM of trailer will be 1200kgs.

Archangel

Visit site
I love mine, it bounds along over ruts, up banks, through deep water without comment. Does drink the petrol though but so reliable, had mine 5 years, service once a year, never lift the bonnet, passed every MOT since I've had it. Used to have a Ford and I had the bonnet up every week and it had to be rebuilt every fortnight. Go Toyota I say!

Edited to say, mine is a 3 door so very short, you can park it anywhere. I wouldn't tow with it though as a bit light.

FMM

www.absolutelymad.co.uk
Mine is great but it is one of the new ones. Costs about £43 to fill up at the moment (went up to £58 when the prices were high) and does around 30 to the gallon. I fill up two or three times a week. I have had it since March and it has been a pleasure to drive.

ginger111

Visit site
I love mine! It's only a 3 door model and I don't tow with it.I've had no trouble with it and always found it very reliable. It is really good off road and has got me out of all sorts of trouble!. I would definately get another one.

now_loves_mares

Visit site
LMAO at the flooding! I used to live in the caribbean and had a 1995 Rav 4 3 door - maybe about M reg? Anyway every time it rained there it got very badly flooded. One day I came back from diving, and found a flood on the road to my house. Was too cold to consider wading through it, so just thought I'd drive through it. Sure enough my Rav conked out, water started flooding in through the doors (up to the level of the seat, so I guess the puddle was deeper than I thought
wink.gif
) Thought I was going to drown (the logic of the water level outside didn't enter my brain!!) so ended up having to wade through the puddle after all, which was actually waist deep. Oops!

Called my dad to tell him what I had done and he said "stupid bleeping idiot, what did you do that for?". I said "but it's 4wd???" and he just laughed and said "yes, but it's not a LAND ROVER"

smile.gif

Anyway believe it or not, after I'd bought a new gear box, it was fine. Sold it, and years later people keep telling me they still see it running about. It even survived a hurricane where about 60% of the island's cars were destroyed by floods! So now I think of it like the Top Gear Toyota Hi-Lux - indestructable (even if it's not a land rover
wink.gif
)!!