'Raw diet not as healthy as you might think' Article

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
My aunt and uncle took on a former breeding bitch from a breeder that they knew well and had had dogs from before. He feeds raw, so they continued with that regime. After a few years the bitch, a lovely miniature poodle, became ill. The bitch was taken to the vet who immediately diagnosed an infection and advised changing the diet. Obviously anti-biotics were prescribed but the poodle never ate raw again and after a truly serious, almost fatal disease made a good recovery and lived for several more years.

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
My mother's dogs were fed raw green tripe from the abattoir in the days before dry food was invented, raw feeding isn't a new phenomenon.
Nothing will convince me that it's not the healthiest way to feed, just looking at their teeth tells me that. It's what they're designed to eat.
Sadly it's not convenient for me to feed fully raw at the moment but I try to give as much variety as possible.

I find the Dutch seem more enlightened about dog ownership generally :)

Leo Walker

Visit site
I've seen this posted all over. I'm not really sure that there is anyone who doesnt know raw meat contains bacteria. So does dry dog food though. I saw an almost immediate change in behaviour and health when I first started feeding raw so there is no way I'll be changing.

I'd be interested to know who funded the "research"

cremedemonthe

Was Caterham on the Hill, Surrey now Wales
Visit site
I've seen this posted all over. I'm not really sure that there is anyone who doesnt know raw meat contains bacteria. So does dry dog food though. I saw an almost immediate change in behaviour and health when I first started feeding raw so there is no way I'll be changing.

I'd be interested to know who funded the "research"

^^
This, I don't listen or read articles like that,
Been feeding 5 dogs over 11 years on raw meat and bones, never a bad tummy between them or me for handling it .
Dogs have always been healthy
I don't think the article was scientific research as such, more of an opinion

Last edited:

SusieT

Visit site
The article is similar to all the articles I've ever seen on 'raw' feeding - i.e no evidence base, written as an opinion article - so raw feeders can't really run it down tbh.

Aru

Visit site
It was a uni article so not pet food funded.
Department of public health link not hills etc. Researchers declared affliliations are on the link attached.

http://veterinaryrecord.bmj.com/content/182/2/50

Nothing especially new for this study bar that it was on commerical foods.
Theres similar ones online on google scholar.
Tbh raw feeding in general needs a bigger research to show the pros and cons of the diet. Nothing in life is perfect its nice to be able to get the info on both sides. It also really dies need to be the balanced diet(meat offal bone etc)thats researched as well. Feeding the likes of chicken breast as a sole diet to a growing pup is not exactly balanced raw feeding and those are the sort of examples that have been published as proof of issues so far so as a result atm all the reliable research has been pretty negative but anecdontally many dogs are absolutely thirving. Theres a mismatch there! Sadly but there's no one willing to fund studies so far...despite all the new raw food companies on the market.

Personally id have thought it was pretty much common knowledge that meat can carry bugs that cause food poisioning. Thats why we cook our meat before we eat and and are aware undercooked chicken can cause food posioning. Risk makes sense. Have raw food in the house just means clean down your prep areas and where it is fed if you want to keep the humans low risk for food poisioning.
Dogs are better able for spolit and raw food thanks to their digestive system then we are but they are not immune to it! At the end of the day it does depend on the bacteria involved the type and amount present and the dogs immune system.
Everything carrys risk. They check all the therapy dogs going into hospitals here in Oz 3 monthly for being salmonella shedders etc.Its just risk assessment.
Knowing the risk exists makes it easier to manage for.

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
Handling raw meat for human consumption is exactly the same. Vets will not carry out a study on raw food, it’s not commercially viable to do so. Trouble is, OP, that people, myself included, are convinced they know the best thing for their dog. I’d rather feed straights to the horse/dogs. Straights for dogs means raw to me.

The French springer site I’m on is full of enquiries about what to feed today. I’m posting endless links and reviews for them as so many of them are suggesting supermarket poor quality stuff. You can imagine the names that are cropping up.

Saying that, there was a Facebook post about ‘millenials’ choosing higher quality dog food with more meat. I thin’ manufacturers are slowly realising that consumers are doing their research these days.

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
I think it also depends on how robust you and your dog are also. See numerous boring stories of me forgetting to wash my hands after handling raw minced chicken, tripe or sheep poo ;) and then tucking into a sandwich. Don't try it at home though.

Alec Swan

Visit site
With the exception of those packs which are forced to abide by hare-brained EU directives whereby they can't afford the monstrous incineration costs of the unusable by products, I wonder how many hounds in kennels have suffered over the years, from the feeding of raw flesh. Few if any, I'd suggest.

npage123, I suspect that you've fallen victim to alarmist twaddle. The average dog will cope with meat which is so decomposed that it may well kill a human and to no ill effect upon the dog, whatsoever. Dogs are far more resilient, 'mostly' than we imagine.

Alec.

nb. 'mostly' is a disclaimer in an attempt to fend of those who have a friend who once had a dog …….. etc. etc.

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
Anyone for scooter bunny?! :eek3: the famous pic of an eviscerated rabbit with head and tail left intact and attached by a strip of skin. Must have been Zak, Bear always starts with the head :tongue3:

As Alec says, dogs cope remarkably well with stuff we wouldn’t dream of touching, they are scavengers by nature.