Re-establishing grass growth on fly tipped areas

floradora09

Visit site
Hopefully Win will be allowed to start going back out in a couple of weeks, and I've been trying to do a few odd jobs round the field. A couple of years ago part of the field was fly tipped on and weeds left to grow etc. The weeds have been cut back and most of the debris removed, and the ponies in there before him had grazed it back nicely. He's been on box rest so it has been rested most of the winter, and is looking good, except for this area.

There's hardly any grass coverage, some weeds trying to grow back and LOADS of rocks/bricks. The soil doesn't seem to be of great quality either. I've just been out to remove the last bits of debris (thank god I did) and after a :eek: moment at finding a nail, broken glass and various other unsuitable junk, I think I just need to dig up the worst of the weeds, rake over the area to pull up the straggly twigs etc, and try and work out what I'll do with all these rocks!

How do I go about re-establishing quality grass growth? I'm going to buy some seed but am not sure if the soil will need improving first? I was looking at this website http://www.thegrassseedstore.co.uk/?gclid=CPaBqsLtzrUCFaLHtAodC3IAew and trying to work out which the best would be to buy. The only problem is that I don't need more than enough to cover about a 30mx10m area and the field is only rented so am not keen to spend ££s! Some other areas of the field look like they could do with a little help (it has footpaths through it so quite heavily used) so was going to chuck some in other areas too.

Thank you very much :)

PeterNatt

s68.photobucket.com
Get a soil test done just to check it does not require any dressing.
I would use some total kill on the weeds first to get rid of them.
Then cultivate the ground.
Drill grass seed in it.
Roll grass
Give grass time to become established before you put horses on it otherwise it will revert to weeds.