Re-flocking saddle advice & recommendations

spacie1977

Visit site
Hi there,

I bought an Ideal GP saddle when I bought my horse in October. He was a proper fatty at the time so I got a 17.5inch in wide fitting as that was one of the couple makes/models saddle fitter Poppy Webber recommended to me. Now 10 months on my lad is much slimmer and being ridden more than before so slowly building muscle. As a result, my YO has told me his saddle is now too wide for him (possibly one reason why he's been awkward to canter). I love my saddle and can't afford to buy a different one at the moment so she said I could get it re-flocked instead. I never realised you could re-flock for a better fit. I just thought it was done when old flocking got hard - dozy newbie :eek:
For the time being, I've borrowed pads to insert in the gap behind his shoulder under the saddle, and he now seems much more comfortable. But I need to find a good saddler for re-flocking. Can anyone recommend a qualified saddler? I'm based between Cambridge and Haverhill. I know Mark Fisher/Woolcroft is highly recommended but he's 1.5hrs from me. Has anyone used Katie Eaton in Sudbury? Also does anyone know how much it roughly costs to re-flock a saddle to make it narrower?

sbloom

www.stephaniebloomsaddlefitter.co.uk
Just beware that the tree may now be too wide - flocking can help, but can't make up for a major change in the width of the tree that the horse may require. I charge callout plus £20 to top up flocking at the front of a saddle, that is about standard but will vary between fitters. I would say that Mark Fisher will travel to you, but I don't know that for a fact, I just know that he covers a decent area.