Re-homing greyhound troubles...help!

Doggy Love

New User
Visit site
My sister recently lost a puppy which was very sad for her and her children, so she decided it would be a lovely idea to re-home a greyhound.
We went down to a greyhound kennel and picked out the perfect one.

After having him home for a few days everything seemed to be going well. Toileting was good, he loved the children and seemed very happy in his new home. Until one day my sister returned home to find Borris in a terrible state, covered in blood. After a emergency trip to the vets it was seen that he had a fractured jaw with a nasty wound. Was so tragic, and we could not work out what had happened in the hour he was left home alone.

After making a full recovery, Borris is now being a bit different. He is toileting around the house, wanting to eat everything! Taking food that is around. And not listening when he is told no. He seems like he doesn't want to listen to any commands at all.

My sister is at the end of her teather, and having to deal with 4 children as well as Boris, she is really struggling to cope with everything, but is sad at the thought of having send him back to the kennel.

Any tips for Borris anyone...?

Brownmare

Visit site
OMG what an awful thing to happen :eek:

I would guess that the new behaviours are related to insecurity esp seeing as nobody knows how it happened but i would also be concerned that he had a bump to the head too - I assume his whole skull was x rayed? is there any possibility of brain damage or hearing loss? How long has it been since the accident?

It might help him if he were crate trained so 1) he feels safe when they are out of the house / room and 2) it will prevent any future bizarre accidents and thieving of food. Other than that I can only suggest patience and calm to help him get back to normal again.

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
Has he had a follow up visit to the vet for the eating thing? Or as BM suggests, a scan?
What have the rehoming people said? Have they got an in-house behaviourist, or could you seek a good behaviourist or trainer out in your area?

CAYLA

Visit site
When dogs are placed in a new home, u do tend to get a short period of "normal" or we we deem are naormal/wanted behaviour, this is because its pretty daunting for a dog to find its self in a new environment, once the dog has then spent time with it's people and in the environment they feel more secure and more willing to explore, "wonder where u have gone" he has no doubt gotten caught somewhere possibly trying to find a way to see where the owner has gone or gotten restless, this is why Im constantly going on about starting with a small space, this space than becomes there immediate sucurity and routine form day one.
People tend to forget , they are around "usually"when a new dog arrives, because they take time "off work" or out of their usual busy schedule, again we are not seeing the uual behaviour displayed when we do eventually leave.
As suggested by brwoen mare they need to create a space for him, a crate or sectioned off area, make it positive, feed him there give him bones, kongs filled with goodies, place him there when the owner are in as well as out, use it for the basis of toilet training, when he is release, he goes first and for most to the toilet, no times for wondering around, routine and consistency is the way forward.
If she wants a little one on one advice I would be happy to give me e.mail addy out for her to ask a few questions, I think really is a workable problem.
Ps , greys are greedy, they do literally want to eat everything, esp once settled and confident, so again him settling could see his appetite picking up, what is he fed on?

Doggy Love

New User
Visit site
Firstly, thank you everyone for your replies. After the accident Borris was scanned everywhere, and no other injuries were found. His hearing is excellent as he responds to calling sounds etc. The accident happened only a week ago, but Borris has recovered almost fully.

As for crate training i will suggest that to my my sister, however, Borris is very big and i think he might try to struggle out.

Very good suggestion about the re-homing people, will get onto that as soon as possible as they can advise her. They came round to do a homevisit before Borris came home, so they may well come back again for some advise. Could also seek a behaviourist too.

Cayla, that first line you wrote completely sums it up. That seems to be the case here, as he was "normal" at first.

I think the treat idea will definatlely work for him, after a while. Seeems it is going to take a while for him to adjust, but i am sure he will get there eventually.

He is fed on Greyhound biscuits with weak gravy (brought from the re-homing kennels) Also my sister varies it with Butchers Tripe meat. He seems to enjoy this diet, but still wants to eat everything. Seems he is very greedy, didn't realise greyhounds were like this, as they didn't mention it at the kennels. When my sisters youngest has a biscuit or anything Borris takes it, gently from him. If adults give him a treat he is quite quick and snatches it.

But overall, i think patients and alot of perserverence is needed in this situation.

CAYLA

Visit site
Lol, re the biscuit, indeed this is typical of a grey, and they are the right hright for a good thieving :D:D
When im seeing to the rescues dogs (we kennel alot of greys for grey rescue up here) andway, when they are running around outside and im busy cleaning, the greys are sods for sneaking back in and trying to steal food from the bins, they are also kitchen bin raiders and they will jump up at benches given half a chance to steal form those aswell, they are thieves, ask Carey on here she will confirm:rolleyes::D

I would maybe advice a more subtantial food for him, switch the meat for sardines, cheaper and better quality) and a better quality dog food like skinners or fish for dogs, greys get very bad teeth (not sure if the rescue mentioned this) but they can cost a fortune in dentals, so a large raw bone frequenrly is a must to help them clean their teeth and were possibly no tinned meat, as this makes them worse.
If she cannot crate him then a smaller secure space is a must.
When I rehome a grey I give strict settling in instructions and feed advice and advice as to what to expect in regard to the breed/traits.

Doggy Love

New User
Visit site
I can't believe that they are like that, had no idea. Suppose i was just comparing him to my lurcher, who doesn't have a huge appetite, and never scrounges. Maybe she should change his diet then.

Cayla, it sounds to me that you need to have your eyes evrywhere with those greys! :D Can imagine them trying it on when they think your not looking :eek:

Nope, nothing much was mentioned about their traits, but we found out the hard way! But we all love Borris so much so he is well worth the attention. When i look at him i just can't help fussing him, his beautiful long face :D

CAYLA

Visit site
I can't believe that they are like that, had no idea. Suppose i was just comparing him to my lurcher, who doesn't have a huge appetite, and never scrounges. Maybe she should change his diet then.

Cayla, it sounds to me that you need to have your eyes evrywhere with those greys! :D Can imagine them trying it on when they think your not looking :eek:

Nope, nothing much was mentioned about their traits, but we found out the hard way! But we all love Borris so much so he is well worth the attention. When i look at him i just can't help fussing him, his beautiful long face :D

U gotta love their crazy stupidness, esp the X racers, I can stand laughing my back of at them up me mams when they are hooning about and being cheeky, one actually back answers u when u chase her from the food, and no sooner u turn your back and she has knocked the lid off and ran away like a cheeky kid:D:D
and they are clumsy gits:rolleyes: