Re Kerilli's 'little quiz' (Waterford bit)

Sal_E

Visit site
Yeah, I understand the theory & guessed that would be the answer as I've heard it before, but same as I argued the last time I heard it, I think the theory is a bit anal in my opinion.

People should know to get a Waterford a size up than usual (1/4" is sufficient), just so it sits properly. When they do this, I've not known a Waterford pinch & to be honest, anyone who has to pull so hard as to make the horse bleed is either in the wrong bit or on the wrong horse! The vast majority of Waterfords are manufacturered like 'less superior' version in Kerilli's photo & as I say, I'm not aware of people having the problems that Kerilli's bitting guru is suggesting anyway...

Can anyone tell me differently? Always interesting to hear people's opinions...

SpottedCat

Visit site
Have to say I agree - had horse in waterford dutch gag, reins on bottom ring, so theoretically as severe as it gets, went XC, horse ran through my hands and had complete brake failure - no cut mouth, no bleeding, certainly manufactured as per the one more likely to cause problems.

I'd say if anything was going to cut/tear it would have happened then - we were heading towards the ropes in water, I did not think he had seen them and for self-preservation purposes I was socking him as hard as I physically could. (And he has had a sore mouth in the past from a snaffle, so it's not him being ultra-tough!). BTW it made no difference - from 3 strides out he took off and cleared the lot. I now XC in a pelham and he is very polite!
grin.gif

fairhill

Visit site
I use a loose-ring waterford (cheapest available) on Chloe, and due to the size of her mouth, it's actually her normal size. Despite this it hasn't once pinched her or made her mouth bleed.

lastresort

Visit site
use a snaffle & pelham (waterford ) hunting, xc you name it with a very strong horse and she has never has any probs. One is NS and one is cheapo both are good.
ball bits to big to pinch??