Re proofing rugs - rubbish

Orangehorse

Visit site
I have two rugs of the same make, they are rainsheets. One needed a small repair, so I asked for it to be washed, reproofed and repaired.

When I put it on my horse in the rain I ended up with a totally sopping wet rug and a wet horse underneath, it hadn't kept the rain out at all. The unwashed one still works fine.

So that to me says that reproofing does not work.

Kat

Visit site
You could try a spray on reproofer to save it.

Often the problem is that either not enough wash in reproofer is used or there isn't space in the machine for it to get good coverage

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
I had two rugs for my oldies (sadly no longer with me) and bought two rugs for them (different makes).

I never ever washed the rugs from day one.

Could chuck their rugs on and chuck them out in vertical stair-rods of rain & gale and was 101% certain they'd stay nice & cosy in them.

In contrast I've bought second-hand rugs which HAVE been washed and so-called "re-proofed" and my current pony was sopping wet within 30 mins.

Buy new rugs and don't ever wash 'em, not ever, is my policy.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
It must depend on how good your rug laundry is. I use a long established laundry which has proper washing machines and only uses the correct Nikwax wash and reproof products. I take my larger Rambo turnouts with fill there once yearly and they are still waterproof. I can wash and reproof the no fill 6'3" Rambos here at home as they fit in my machine, I use Nikwax wash and proof liquids and all still good.

Fransurrey

Visit site
I do my own. If I'm organised I wash in a plasterer's bath in the yard with Nikwax rug wash, using a soft brush to remove grime in the lining (I don't scrub the outer layer). I then leave the rug soaking in re-proofer before hanging over a gate to rinse the lining. Never had an issue doing it this way.

When I'm disorganised I have to machine wash, but I make sure I clean out the machine to remove all detergent and add a couple of extra rinse cycles. Only once had a rug not be reproofed this way, but it was quite old.

Zoeypxo

Visit site
I never usually wash or reproof turnouts but my favourite old PE 0g rug started to let the rain in and horse was wet and unhappy. It was either throw it out or get it reproofed and actually after having it washed & reproofed it is 100% waterproof again. Ill ask the lady what she reproofed it with!

Widgeon

Visit site
Dry the rug out and paint on Fabsil Gold. Do it outside as the stuff is pretty potent and ensure the seams are well drenched. Dry and it shouldn’t leak again as long as you never have it commercially washed again.

Fabsil is good stuff. I've got a Gallop no fill - only 600d - into its third winter and still going strong. I cleaned and Fabsil-ed it in the summer and I'm sure it's helped.

Widgeon

Visit site
I got one back from repair/reproof, put it on horse, it rained hard…and the water was beading on it. It was very, very waterproof. I wouldn’t have believed it if I hadn’t seen it!

I'm sure other posters on here have said previously that it really depends on the quality of the job the wash /reproofing company does. I suppose the problem is you don't really know until you've tried any given company!

HashRouge

Visit site
It must depend on how good your rug laundry is. I use a long established laundry which has proper washing machines and only uses the correct Nikwax wash and reproof products. I take my larger Rambo turnouts with fill there once yearly and they are still waterproof. I can wash and reproof the no fill 6'3" Rambos here at home as they fit in my machine, I use Nikwax wash and proof liquids and all still good.
This. I've had mine washed and reproofed yearly since I bought them and both are still waterproof and doing great, well into their 12 year of usage. They were not especially expensive/ high quality rugs when bought either.

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
I have two rugs of the same make, they are rainsheets. One needed a small repair, so I asked for it to be washed, reproofed and repaired.

When I put it on my horse in the rain I ended up with a totally sopping wet rug and a wet horse underneath, it hadn't kept the rain out at all. The unwashed one still works fine.

So that to me says that reproofing does not work.
I general get rid of the rugs once they wont reproof anymore. Must say the best reproof i found is this one .https://lincolnhorsecare.com/product/lincoln-weather-proofa-universal/

I don't waste my money on companies to reproof them

Bonnie Allie

Visit site
I would return to the reproofer organisation and let them know they have failed and you would like it done FoC To restore the customer faith in their business.

Reproofing works when done well. Our Rambo’s are 12 yrs and 13yrs old, reproofed every couple of years and they keep on keeping on. I do use the Rambo recommended products though and follow instructions to the letter.

Winters100

Visit site
I only wash turnouts when absolutely necessary, and I do them myself by hand. I take them to the garden and wash them gently in a tin bath, then flatten them out on the deck to scrub the insides just as much as needed. They do not come out looking fresh and new as they do from the laundry service, but they do stay waterproof. I really only wash if I think the liner needs it, mud etc I just brush off.