re-seeding,best time to do it?

Prince33Sp4rkle

Visit site
the fields are not poached/rutty really just the gateways and the corner they all stand together in is looking a bit worn and tired.

we are on very sandy soil previously used as dairy pasture so the grass grows quickly, thick and very rich.

is there an ideal time to re-seed the few small bare patches(just to give them a fighting chance of remaining just as mud free next year really)???? our land is fairly samey all year round, never super wet or super dry/rock hard, its always just spongey and bouncey lol!

the grass is always growing through neon green on the rested side (ready for summer) and by the end of April (when they move over on to it) its usually knee deep and looking like a hay field!

Polos Mum

Visit site
Depends on ground temp, we've had a few frosts over night but 13/14 degrees in the day (only South Lincs so not a million miles away) I'd do it asap - it'll be warm enough and you want to keep it nice and wet so if you leave it too late there won't be enough rain.
The best reseeding we did we put it down in late Feb and it got snowed on! I thought it was ruined but it grew by far the best.
Give boston seeds a call and get advice on the best variety for the job - sounds like you're not bothered if they eat it or not just that it's hard wearing - I seem to recall they do a mix just for gateways might be worth a look.

Prince33Sp4rkle

Visit site
Depends on ground temp, we've had a few frosts over night but 13/14 degrees in the day (only South Lincs so not a million miles away) I'd do it asap - it'll be warm enough and you want to keep it nice and wet so if you leave it too late there won't be enough rain.
The best reseeding we did we put it down in late Feb and it got snowed on! I thought it was ruined but it grew by far the best.
Give boston seeds a call and get advice on the best variety for the job - sounds like you're not bothered if they eat it or not just that it's hard wearing - I seem to recall they do a mix just for gateways might be worth a look.

perfect,thank you :)

kit279

Visit site
I've been talking to our farmer next door about this and his advice was that for the grass seed to grow and not be wasted, the temperature needs to be consistently above 10C for 10 days in order for the grass to grow properly. We're going to wait until the end of the month as there's always the chance of frost. We had similar soil to you in our last house - sandy and never any mud and we reseeded when we changed them over in April as you have to keep them off the reseeded areas or they trample it/eat all the new grass!

Prince33Sp4rkle

Visit site
I've been talking to our farmer next door about this and his advice was that for the grass seed to grow and not be wasted, the temperature needs to be consistently above 10C for 10 days in order for the grass to grow properly. We're going to wait until the end of the month as there's always the chance of frost. We had similar soil to you in our last house - sandy and never any mud and we reseeded when we changed them over in April as you have to keep them off the reseeded areas or they trample it/eat all the new grass!

ok that makes sense, so maybe wait until we move them to be sure to be sure and fatty bruce will def nibble the new shoots down!