re training ex racehorse...jumping.

lastphoenix

Visit site
Hi, I have an ex race horse which is coming on really well on the flat and has done pole work and jumped coloured poles and started to jump solid XC fences. He has no confidence issues at all but he does knock alot of fences, as he does the typical racehorse style jump with his legs out like super man :) i was wondering if anyone had any exercises for teaching horses to tuck their toes up and also help them jump more round instead of straight up? Any tips/ advice and exercises would be much appreciated. Thank you.

fleabittengrey

Visit site
I assume he has hurdled?
I personally treat them no different to other horses, disregard what they might have done in the past and start straight from scratch, as if they had never jumped before, so they they can learn from scratch the appropriate technique and method. Most important - do not rush or hurry, either the actual jump or the long term process. if you need to take more steps backwards than you do forwards, so be it. If you had a "non racehorse" that started knocking jumps you would step back until they were confident and developed more skill not to do so - what they have done in the past is not relevant here. Don't skip steps in education or they will come back to bite you in years to come.

lastphoenix

Visit site
Thank you and i totally agree. Im so impressed with his progression into ridden work, its been nearly a year since we started and hes doing so well.

Tnavas

Visit site
I assume he has hurdled?
I personally treat them no different to other horses, disregard what they might have done in the past and start straight from scratch, as if they had never jumped before, so they they can learn from scratch the appropriate technique and method. Most important - do not rush or hurry, either the actual jump or the long term process. if you need to take more steps backwards than you do forwards, so be it. If you had a "non racehorse" that started knocking jumps you would step back until they were confident and developed more skill not to do so - what they have done in the past is not relevant here. Don't skip steps in education or they will come back to bite you in years to come.

This ^^^^^

Saved me writing it :D

fleabittengrey

Visit site
Sorry never got around to posting something to actually try out!

Put a V shape or rather a ^ shape of poles up in front of a straight bar, that will encourage any horse to think of where their front legs are - generally I find ex hurdlers are careful behind as they are using that end for power and propelling forwards but not too bothered by what the front end does! Don't be tempted to make it narrow or tight or high - if you upset them, they run and flatten. Thats the one time you have to remember what they have done before - unlike a "fresh green" horse they do have a default setting - just don't get too het up on what that is or was or means.

Set out a small grid very very excatly to your horses stride (on the short collected side though) and that will really encourage them to bounce down and take some more weight behind - again keep it small and build it up slowly to prevent them "reverting to type" and running at speed.

Last edited:

lastphoenix

Visit site
Thanks fleabittengrey, he is very good down a grid and i havent tried an arrow head yet but will certainly give it a go. I think i just need to carry on with grid work and poles until he REALLY gets it. Thanks for the advice.

fleabittengrey

Visit site
I usually find they have a "lightbulb moment" - you might be at your wits end by then, but they will suddenly get what is intended and leap forward like an old pro, and never look back! That applies to all work - flat or jump .... can you tell I do this day in day out! ;-)

racingdemon

www.facebook.com
echo what has been said, but also, you need to make doubly sure you have a really good quality of canter, very engaged, practise with poles on the ground, shortening & lengthening, so you have a horse that stays really engaged, & this will help with the dangly legs considerably