reaction to flu and tetanus jab

Seahorse

community.webshots.com
Axel had his annual vaccinations today, he is a bit of a wimp and made a fuss about having it done but the vet was very good and just got on with it.

This evening I went down to do evening stables and he looked fine, so I put his feed in and he couldn't put his head down to eat it he got about 6 inches from the ground but couldn't get his head any lower.
He has a stable lick in his box so I put it on that raising it up enough for him to reach it. He was eating no problem when I left. Hopefully that's the worst of it, poor boy
frown.gif

Patches

Visit site
Is his water low to the ground too?

Been alot of cases of it recently with a certain brand of vaccine, something to do with the carrying agent (I forget the technical term) of it.

cptrayes

Visit site
My horse has a terrible reaction to Duvaxyn and cannot have it again in case it kills him next time. His whole neck swelled, he tied up all over, his pulse went dangerously high and he couldn't eat.

The carrying agent is called an adjuvant. It's what causes the reaction usually, not the vaccine.

Seahorse

community.webshots.com
bugger didn't think of that Patches
frown.gif
his water is in a big tub trug which was full up he could probably drink about half of it which is all he drinks anyway overnight. Poor Axey

How long before it wears off? Do I ring the vet again tomorrow if he's still the same?

cptrayes

Visit site
Sorry didn't catch your later post! My boy was OK the next day, but you should ask your vet if you should mark your passport that he must be given a different brand of vaccine next time, because the next reaction could be even stronger.

Loika

Visit site
The Adjuvant triggers an immune response to the virus particles in the vaccine, which then creates a immune system "memory" to those markers, mounting a bigger and more effective response next time it meets those particles. No one knows why the adjuvant works specifically, other than as a molecular aggrevation, vaccines don't work without one. I used to work in a research lab for immunology.

My horse has also had a reaction to the Duxeyn (SP!) vaccine this time. She was very quiet and didn't eat all her breakfast or start her hay and kept looking at me. When she was ready to be turned out she was lying down and the YO had a job getting her up, she went out like a "dope on a rope", fine by the evening as she came back in at speed as normal! I think I will ask for another brand next year because whilst she has been a bit quiet previously this is the first time she has been really lethergic.

Glad I found this post, maybe my ponio is not a complete pansy afterall!
laugh.gif

SpruceRI

Visit site
My Shetland and one of my cobs has this reaction every time they are vaccinated if done in the neck or bottom.

In the neck, the site of the jab swells and is hot and they can't/won't graze or eat off the floor.

In their bottoms, they appear lame.

I now have them both jabbed in the chest muscle and for some reason here, they get no swellings and no reaction at all.

RachelB

Visit site
My mum's horse has reacted twice to her annual jab - no swelling or soreness but she just can't move her neck about as much. This year wasn't as bad as last year as it wore off a lot more quickly, but last year it lasted a couple of days and even though we fed her from higher up, she became quite depressed about the whole thing
frown.gif

Lucky it's only once a year, really.

mymare

Visit site
My poor shetland had an awful time last year after his booster. He was dripping with sweat, wouldn't eat, and stood huddled in a corner showing no interest in anything at all.