Reaction to flu/tet jab?

Brummyrat

Visit site
Ive had a quick search but can't find a similar previous thread, I just want someone to put my mind at rest. My five year old had his booster on Friday evening, its the second year Ive had him and he's always been absolutely fine previously. I know the modern vaccinations are synthetic and therefore aren't supposed to cause any reactions (which I dont agree with personally - my last horse was always off for 24 hours afterwards) but my boy hasn't been right since. He was fine Friday night when we got back from the vets, slept overnight presumably, but he was very quiet when turned out yesterday - too quiet for him although eating, drinking and pooing normally, but not as precocious as usual! However he seemed to struggle to eat his tea off the floor yesterday evening, and then his carrots that I leave him on the floor when I go home. Overnight he didnt lie down which is unheard of and this morning he'd also not finished the hay that was on the floor which normally he'd hoover up. He wasn't himself again today but had a canter up the field. The problem, I believe, is that he has a sore neck - he's not "ill" as such. He didnt try and drag me to the grass when I was doing the gate back up fetching him in but when I picked some grass and encouraged him he then started munching and he wasnt happy about eating the treats I left on the floor of his stable. I put his tea on a door mounted bucket and he ate that enthusiastically but will someone please tell me its happened to them and it'll pass. I will phone the vets tomorrow to speak to them, and one lady on our yard said her horse reacted the same last year after jabs, but its a new one on me. Poor boy :-(

Sorry for the waffle, it doesnt make sense to me neither! Happy Sunday night everyone!

scats

Visit site
My old pony had a horrific reaction to a flu jab one year and collapsed. His body temperature and heart rate shot up and he was extremely ill. We had to be careful never to give him that brand of vaccination again. He was about 14 when it happened.

Dazed'n'confused

Visit site
Don't worry, my mare was like that too! She couldn't put her head down at all and wasn't right for a week. She is a greedy moo so when her feed was left I knew it was serious!!! She was perfectly happy to eat from a raised bowl (& I had to raise her water/hay too)!
She was first vaccinated with both flu & tetnus at 4 (previously just tet) and she was fine but in her 5th year she reacted & again the following year. The vets swore it was unusual but I know a lot that have issues (including, in later years, her daughter)!
We got round it by injecting into her chest (she was still stiff but at least she could move her neck!) & giving her a Danilon the night before, the morning & evening of the injection & one a day for 3 days afterwards!
Interestingly, when the vets changed (& therefore presumably the brand of vaccine), her reactions were less severe & she now just needs Danilon help for 24 hours...
Hope that helps!

Pinkvboots

Visit site
Was he injected in the neck? one of mine can't put his head down for hours afterwards after a vacation if it's done in the neck but I rang my vet and they said to give him a few bute that evening and he was fine by the next day, I now have him jabbed in the chest and he seems fine with this I would ring your vet anyway if his still not right but chances are it's the muscle that is sore from the jab.

PorkChop

Visit site
I have had this with a injection, though not a vaccination.

I would have a chat with the Vet in the morning.

I would also hot cloth the injection area, it can give so much relief.

racebuddy

Visit site
My horse had routine Jab last year , put to bed as normal next morning couldn't move was horrendous neck pain , vets thought it that severe they were considering xraying as another vets had jabbed him , never had a horse react like this before had that brand of vaccine before , took about 2 months beforehand was. Ack competing again and a lot of physio , he had some swelling also , I dodnwuestion wheather he had been injected wrong , this year was dreading it but got it done in his chest xx hope your horse is ok xx

Brummyrat

Visit site
Thanks for the replies all, and particularly to Dazed, its such a relief knowing he's not the only one. I did put half a bute in his tea and the other half in his breakfast so I'll monitor him, and speak to the vets. Luckily he has a drinker and his hay is in a net so he can get to both. Its sad seeing my usual boisterous baby look so quiet and wanting cuddles. Fingers crossed he'll improve, he was injected in the neck Pinkvboots although its not swollen but I know not what to do next year xx

Brummyrat

Visit site
Sorry to hear about your boy racebuddy, I also thought he might've damaged his neck but he'd only been to bed between the jabs and the next morning when he didn't look his usual self so it must be a reaction. Two months though! God I hope not but let's wait and see, thank you for replying xx

Pinkvboots

Visit site
Thanks for the replies all, and particularly to Dazed, its such a relief knowing he's not the only one. I did put half a bute in his tea and the other half in his breakfast so I'll monitor him, and speak to the vets. Luckily he has a drinker and his hay is in a net so he can get to both. Its sad seeing my usual boisterous baby look so quiet and wanting cuddles. Fingers crossed he'll improve, he was injected in the neck Pinkvboots although its not swollen but I know not what to do next year xx

my horse had no swelling either but he couldn't eat from the ground for some hours afterwards, the vet told me it's because some of them tense up so the muscle gets really tight and sore.

spookypony

Visit site
Mine had pretty much the same reaction; I put his feeds up higher for a few days and made sure he could reach hay/water, and he was back to normal after a few days. This was after years of no reactions at all.

holeymoley

Visit site
My boy had that too a few years ago . Whichever vaccination it was ,can never remember which one they only get every 2 years, but it was that one and he couldn't move his neck down very well for about 2 days. After owning him for 12 years, I can still say that it's only every second year when he gets that vaccination that he goes off colour .

Britestar

Visit site
It tends to be the tetanus part that makes them so sore.
I have one who reacts. He gets danilon the day before and for 3/4 days after, and has that time off work.

Brummyrat

Visit site
Thank you, I am definitely feeling better about it now after hearing your stories, I will be more prepared next year. Ive never known it before but Britestar you're right, a friend of mine said last night that the tetanus part of the jab can do this. Also, as Pink said, he was done while on the lorry and he's never had it done at the vets before and he was probably a bit "wtf" about it, hence tense neck. I have him turned out in the mornings and apparently he seems fine today so fingers crossed he's improving xx

AnShanDan

Visit site
I had a young horse react to flu/tet vacc. a few years ago, it was his first annual jag, so he'd had 3 already. He was very stiff and had a rugby ball sized lump on his chest, so much so I thought he'd been kicked (jag was into pecs), he struggled to walk properly it was so painful and swollen.
Vets came back out and gave him steroids, the vaccination manufacturers actually paid for all the treatment he had and the information re. my horse went into their research. My vet told me it was the carrier that caused the reaction, so we changed brand of vaccine after that and had no further problems.
Horse was fine in about a week.

starryeyed

Visit site
Really glad he seems to be improving - poor thing. My mare had her flu/tet last week and the swelling was enormous, it was done in the chest so not as severe as in the neck but she was very off colour for a few days - totally quiet and subdued which is not at all like her! Danilon helped to bring the swelling down. She had a very nasty reaction to a different carrier a few years ago which I've avoided ever since. I think the flu / tet vaccine can be given separately (on the same day) so I might ask about this next time around to see if it makes any difference

Goldenstar

Visit site
I would get him a finadyne jab the next time he has his jab .
I have to do this with one of mine and it solves the issue.

Brummyrat

Visit site
Thanks Goldenstar and everyone else, I've told the vet to make a note on his record and will definitely go about things differently next year. Im happy to report that I had my boy back tonight, he was full of personality again and was able to eat from the floor. Still giving him a couple more days off just in case though. Love to you all for putting my mind at rest.

Mandy xx