Reaction to frozen semen - anti inflammatory?

TigerTail

Visit site
Heya experienced breeders

Q - have you ever had a mare chuck up a lot of fluid from frozen and if so tried again with steroids to try s d reduce the inflammatory response? If so what was the outcome?

Many thanks

ihatework

Visit site
Not with frozen but chilled, mare pooled loads of fluid. I think they flushed her 4 days in a row and she took first time

blitznbobs

Visit site
Yes its one of the added ingredients- apparently more common in maidens.. flushing out and oxytocin to control Ive never heard of them using steroids but it may happen

paddi22

Visit site
I had difficulty getting one mare into foal through frozen ai. changed vet to a fantastic vet and she got her on her first try. here's the list of stuff she used in case it's any useScreenshot 2023-07-12 at 08.39.29.png

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-07-12 at 08.39.29.png
    Screenshot 2023-07-12 at 08.39.29.png
    251.4 KB · Views: 1

TigerTail

Visit site
Having had a discussion with the other vet on the case she doesnt think it was a reaction to the frozen, as when she discharged her post wash out etc she was clean - however from almost 2/3 days from being home the mare was chucking stuff out the back end and when the original vet scanned for pregnancy he said she had a false season going on....

What I am now wondering from thinking about it over night is whether when she came home she was so pleased to see her field mate (22 yr old mare) has she somehow come into season early?!

@paddi22 thanks so much for that - whereabouts are you based? I am trying to get them to look at steroids which is what yours had - did the vet talk you through why they used those and when/how etc? I gather it is a balancing act between wanting some odeama at point of ovulation but needing to clear it fast post.
Did yours go home on the pred tablets or where they just used at the time?
Why the trimediazine powder?

Sorry for the Qs just really want to understand better!

paddi22

Visit site
Im based in republic of ireland. my mare was with the vet for three days the insemination and was cleaned out repeatedly as she had a cervix shape that was difficult to work with and had a good bit of fluid. when she came home to me she wasn't on any medication. the vet said the steroids were because she had a particular cervix shape and she thought she'd throw up a strong reaction to frozen semen. I'm sorry I cant remember more! I just nodded and went along with what vet said. i think she got antibiotics to prevent an infection, her cervix shape is a common one to get infections, apparently.

the first vet doing the ai didn't do any of the stuff the second vet did. it was a quick, totally different process that didn't work. the second vet was so thorough and it was way more complicated. but she def kept her for