Reaction to sedation

guisbrogal

community.webshots.com
Ellie was sedated yesterday while the vet lanced her abscess and she went under almost immediately.

The only thing was she started what I can only call 'hyperventilating'. The vet said he would rather she hadn't but that it was nothing to worry about. he then went on to ask me if she had ever been sedated before. (I think he maybe should of asked this before giving her it?) I told him only once when I was on holiday, she cut her chest and needed stitching. My friend said she didn't do it then though.

So my question is.....is this normal and will it happen again? Is it something I need to remind vet of next time?

Louby

Visit site
Id deffinately mention it too.
My boy twitches on a certain 'brand' of sedation but is fine on a different type so hopefully your horse may not react the same to a different type if needed in the future.

sassyequine

Visit site
My Warmblood shows excessive reaction to sedative which is really unhelpful as he is currently being sedated every day to cope with post operative rehab. However with some patience we have found he can tolerate light domesdan i/v or 2mls of sedalin gel. Talk to your vet and explain your concerns. Both the above drugs are common and are smaller doses than usual however they suit my horse. ACP causes him to remain sedated for twice as long as he should so it really is a case of finding the best drug. Make sure it is marked at the stables and on his vet records in case he ever needs emergency surgery.