Reactions to flu jabs

Surbie

Visit site
Does anyone else's horse react?

Last year mine had a lump appear about 2-3 weeks after a booster into the base of his neck. He was no different mood or behaviour-wise and the lump disappeared in a few weeks with hot compresses probably making zero difference. I didn't think any more of it.

This year he had the 6 month booster and it went in his chest. Just over 3 weeks later a massive lump's appeared (I thought he'd slumped on a sleepy bee!) and the vet's just been out to drain a large abcess there, which I am now flushing 2x daily with weak iodine solution and praying I don't need the antibiotics. He's insured, but I've been told it probably won't be covered.

Does this happen a lot? Anything you can do?

Mule

Visit site
One of mine got a lump a few years back. It was a reaction to the combined flu and tetanus vaccine. It took months to go down but he didn't need treatment and he hadn't reacted to the vaccine since.

Surbie

Visit site
Maybe he's just unlucky.

The vet said they'd seen a few this year so I wondered if it was either to do with boosters at 6 months rather than a year, or whatever is being used to carry the vaccine.

Mule

Visit site
Maybe he's just unlucky.

The vet said they'd seen a few this year so I wondered if it was either to do with boosters at 6 months rather than a year, or whatever is being used to carry the vaccine.
It could well be either of these, I don't think we can ever really know. Hopefully the iodine does the trick. It is a good antiseptic.

shergar

Visit site
Does anyone else's horse react?

Last year mine had a lump appear about 2-3 weeks after a booster into the base of his neck. He was no different mood or behaviour-wise and the lump disappeared in a few weeks with hot compresses probably making zero difference. I didn't think any more of it.

This year he had the 6 month booster and it went in his chest. Just over 3 weeks later a massive lump's appeared (I thought he'd slumped on a sleepy bee!) and the vet's just been out to drain a large abcess there, which I am now flushing 2x daily with weak iodine solution and praying I don't need the antibiotics. He's insured, but I've been told it probably won't be covered.

Does this happen a lot? Anything you can do?
Ask your vet for the name of the drug company ,my friends horse had a huge abscess and was admitted to an equine hospital for 3 weeks when she asked for the name of the company that supplied the vaccine she was told they would be paying for the treatment . Can you ask your vet if your horses adverse reaction has been reported to the VETERINARY MEDICAL DIRECTORET as in the past I know of some that were not reported . Hope this helps .

Myloubylou

Visit site
A couple of years back my mare reacted badly and neck was so stiff she struggled to get head down to eat and then head back up. Had to give Bute but eased after 48 hours but gave her week off work. Vet said was certain batches but has not given same ones since & put in chest so if reacts can at least eat and drink ok. They informed the drug company

Auslander

Visit site
One of my lot had a reaction this year - she's got a firm lump under the skin, which must be attached to underlying structures, as it moves under her skin when she moves. It's not painful or troublesome at all. It's affectionately referred to as her "baby alien", and we are yet to tire of joking about finding a little green critter running round her stable one morning!
Jokes aside, the reaction was reported, and the drug company is paying for associated bills

Gloi

Too little time, too much to read.
Visit site
My frien's horse always reacts and gets a stiff/sore neck if done there so now gets it in his chest. I've never had a problem from vaccine but had one get a horrible abscess which developed a fistula to the crest which needed surgically removing from when she was microchipped. Vet said it was a reaction to some skin/hair/dirt getting pushed in by the needle and her body reacting to that.

Surbie

Visit site
Thanks for your replies. He's been on Danilon 2x/day as well as the iodine flushes. Spoke to the vet before the weekend as the swelling hadn't gone down in 48 hours after draining.

Yesterday and today there is some thin, runny, yellow pus when it comes to the evening flushing. I've been taking photos every day and the swelling is going down but obv I am worried about the pus as that's new.

I'm talking to the vet again tomorrow morning. She said she would be reporting it to the drug company and has seen other abcesses & reactions from the same vaccine. Interesting pointers about the drug company paying bills, thanks, as I'm not sure my insurance will pay.

On the plus side, he's a total star patient. Flinches but doesn't move when the syringe goes in the hole, or warm iodine is squirted in and likes the carrot sticks I am giving after each flush (1 small carrot cut into 14).

Abi90

Visit site
An interesting read as my dog has had a lump appear in his vaccination site from 2 weeks ago. Very mobile and seemingly not bothering him