reactions to vaccines

Gryfiss

Visit site
Any ideas?

My horse had a flu vaccine yesterday and today she's had a reaction to it on her neck it's swolllen and hot and about a hand in size, she is already on pen&strep and danolin for mud fever.

Is it worth calling the vet or should I give it a couple of days?

has anyone else had this problem if so what was the treatment ?

horselover11

Visit site
Hi

If it is a vaccine reaction you should notify the vet who vaccinated your horse because they can notify the drug company who manufactured the vaccination and the drug company should pay for any treatment needed as a result of the reaction!! Also in future if your horse reacts to certain brand of vaccine you can use a different vaccine brand.

Hope that helps!!

mik

Visit site
Also ask your vet that all future vaccines are given in the rump. All mine are vaccinated in their rumps as we have had issues with this before. I learn't this from a very old breeder many years ago and he had all his yearlings vaccinated in their bottoms.
Be sure you have water raised up to a level that she can drink from. It should go down quite quickly.

Skippys Mum

Visit site
My boy gets this. He looks pretty sorry for himself but it only lasts overnight. He is usually fine by the morning. The vet automatically leaves danilon for him now when he gets done.

jvm100

Visit site
One of mine has had this a few times, once so badly she struggled to put her head down. ice packs and haemorhoid cream works really well. she now has injections in her chest which has proved much better

Gryfiss

Visit site
Thanks for all your reply's,

She look's a little better this morning although her neck is a bit stiff, I've given her another danolin hope it helps.

Looks like I wont be going xc training tomorrow :(

kate79

Visit site
One of my mares has a reaction to the vac, I only found out this after she had her first one with me and ended up with colic as the vet had put it in to her neck and she couldn't bend down to drink or eat... I now have it in her rump or her chest.. She ends up with 38 dd s at the front lol last time the vet gave her another jab first which was a anti allergy jab and she was so much better with that x