Ready for BS(JA)?

vikkiandmonica

Visit site
I am seriously considering going affiliated with my gelding, and was just wondering what you would look for in a horse that you would consider doing BS(JA) with?

At home he jumps courses of about 1.10m, with decent spreads, but don't have that much room in the arena. He is super careful and nippy, but can be a little fazed by fillers, however last competition I went to at Titlington, he went clear and won
grin.gif

I have never competed him over a large course, but have had lessons etc. over high jumps and fillers, and he is usually ok, but his bad days are really bad (refuses badly, but does jump in the end, we just argue a bit). He also has a fairly green jump, as in he clears them by quite a way, but is very quick/fast turning in JOs.

Just really wondering what you would do with him to see whether he could affiliate and what you look for in horses that you are thinking of affiliating?

Thanks in advance
grin.gif

caramac1988

Visit site
hi why dont you take him to an intro and just jump on a ticket (means you wont win any money but its good experience) see how he gets on then register him thats what i usually do , take him for a few jumping lessons before hand and ask what your instructor thinks hope that helps
smile.gif

vikkiandmonica

Visit site
Good idea, thanks
laugh.gif
. I got lessons from a BSJA rider/instructer, and he said on a good day he could do and win, definately has the scope for it, but often lacks confidence in his own ability, and can be nervous. I'm getting a lesson in a few weeks though, so I'll ask my instructor then
laugh.gif

Thanks for the advice
grin.gif

MandyMoo

Visit site
as you say he lacks confidence, the best thing to do is just start small and build up from there
smile.gif

before becoming a full member, why not jump on a ticket? they are usually £6 per class on top of entry fee (usually between £10 and £15 depending on show and class) - you cant win any money, but it is a good way of gaining affiliated experience, as they are a lot different to unaff.

what height unaff are you jumping courses at the moment? i would say you should normally be confidently jumping, and getting good results at 1m unaff, then you will be ready for 90cm aff. (basically, one class up unaff than you expect to do aff, due to technicalities of bsja courses and up to height fences etc).

did that all make sense?
crazy.gif
confused.gif
lol
smile.gif
good luck with it! xxx

oh and if you wanted to know, classes are 90cm (british novice) 1m (discovery) 1m10 (newcomers) 1m20 (foxhunter) - they have money limits so check your horse hasnt been previously registered and has winnings. there are also Intro shows which start classes at 70cm

vikkiandmonica

Visit site
Thanks for that. The biggest I've jump recently is only 75cm, as he was fairly fat and unfit, and he was great then. In lessons though, we were jumping courses up to about 1m, with one jump 1.20m, and because it was with a BSJA instructor, I think he built it fairly up to height. I am planning on taking him out to higher unaffiliated competitions. Also, when I said not confident, it's not always, just on his bad days (don't know how to reduce this bad days, other than competing haha).

Thanks for the advice
grin.gif

DarkHorseB

Visit site
Only way to know is to try! There are alot of fillers he would need to get used to but the best way to get him used to them is to get him to different venues and see different things.

Would you be doing pony or horse classes? Like someone said an Intro show would be a nice starting point. Ordinary classes for horses start at British Novice at 90cm with jump off up to 1m.

vikkiandmonica

Visit site
Horse classes, as even though I'm 15yrs, he's a horse haha, so I heard you have to enter senior classes in this case? Also, could someone please tell me the dress code for BSJA classes
grin.gif
?

Also, I have a 13.2hh mare, and admittedly I'm too tall for her, but when fit, she doesn't struggle to jump with me, and I reckon she could affiliate, so want to do a class on a ticket prehaps. Only thing, would I be really look down on if I entered, seeing as I am big on her?

DarkHorseB

Visit site
Yes a horse has to jump in horse classes.
As you are 15 you could jump your pony in junior classes - though not 138cm ones as that is for 14 and under I believe but you could do Junior British Novice etc.

Dress code jacket (black, navy, tweed etc), breeches, stock/ tie etc. Just as you'd expect really.

ecs

Visit site
hi, just to make you feel better a lot of kids are big on their ponies, due i think to kids growing so tall these days. So you wont be alone, yes you can do all the novice classes british novice, 80cm, discovery 90cm etc and all open classes, as for dress code white breeches, black boots either long or johdpur boots and gaiters, shirts can be any colour you like showjumping shirts with stand up collars eliminate the need for ties or stocks and look better,jackets can also be any colour, but must comply with bsja requirements, and actually look like show jackets most popoular colours are black, navy, grey many have pinstripes and various coloured colours, some have some bling on the back hope this helps