Reallly really warm riding trews?

ElleSkywalker

As excited as Kitty about to be a bridesmaid
Visit site
Suggestions please, I already have decathlon Kipwarm and Kerrets thermal riding tights and even with extra thermal leggings underneath neither are warm enough ?

Am talking make u sweat they are so warm trousers, or over trousers or personal heaters that can be warn while riding ?

I have arthritis in both knees and they lock with cold which is agonising so must be kept toasty. Have also tried various knee supports with no joy ?

Annagain

Visit site

tatty_v

Visit site
I’ve got some Laura Garrelli fleece lined softshell breeches and have been sweating in those these past few weeks as it’s really too warm to wear them! Otherwise can definitely recommend primary velvet fleece lined leggings underneath jodhs - they’re so warm I used to wear them under my ski trousers!

HappyHollyDays

Slave to 2 cats and 2 ponies
Visit site
I live and ride in my Mountain Horse mountain rider pants which are similar to the current MH Polar Breeches. They are not fitted breeches but like ski trousers, windproof, waterproof with full zips either side and I am never cold. Expensive at £150 a pair but mine are 5 years old and have been worth every penny. I’m just about to replace them and after exhaustive research I can’t find anything as good so will stick with them.

Visit site
It doesn't matter what breeches and thermals you have on you need a loose layer for air on top. In winter I have thermals, skinny jeans (can't be doing with breeches for work! Primakr skinny jeans all the way!) and then a pair of looser waterproof trousers on the top. I currently have the Horseware H2O supposedly waterproof ones and they are CRAP at being waterproof! Drizzle proof but not waterproof (so farmer gummies go on top of them when wet! And yes that makes 4 layers!) But they provide a layer of air which helps you stay warmer. I also never go anywhere without knee high socks on - even in summer but I am just weird like that! On dry days a pair of joggy bottoms would probably do the trick as a top loose layer.

Otherwise

Visit site
I have fleece lined full chaps that I wear with soft-shell fleece lined breeches for really really cold days but I'd be tempted to try a riding skirt similar to this one. I've tried riding in ski trousers, they were really warm but I didn't like the combination of fresh horse and slippery material. Agree with the fact you need an air pocket, too many tight layers will make you feel colder. With a riding skirt I think some of the horses heat would also be trapped under the skirt which is a bonus.

J&S

Visit site
I have Just Chaps full length fleece lined water proof chaps which I wear over good warm winter jods. I am not even aware of having them on, comfort wise, just the fact that I am warm!

ElleSkywalker

As excited as Kitty about to be a bridesmaid
Visit site

Barlow

Visit site
I have a riding skirt made by Arctic Horse. It’s made by people in Alaska so they know how to deal with cold weather. It’s the toastiest thing I own and I wear it for all the yard work and I also ride in it. The model I went for is the Backcountry Trail, it’s tweed lined wool insulated with a Barbour wax type layer on the outside. I’ve had it four years now, regularly hose it down to clean it etc and it is still going strong.

rextherobber

Visit site
I have some Kramer riding tights. They're so warm I haven't been able to wear them this winter as it hasn't been cold enough!

ETA I have these
https://www.kramer.co.uk/Rider/Womens-Breeches/Grip-Knee-Patch-Riding-Leggings-Performance-Stretch?prod_number=810510-3432-NV&ref=Produktportal/googleUK&subref=810510-3432-NV&adword=UK/GB

....but as I was looking for the the link I came across these - if the former are ridiculously warm, I'm assuming the latter will be even warmer as they're described as thermal!
https://www.kramer.co.uk/Rider/Wome...mcs0=45&emcs1=Rubrikseite&emcs2=&emcs3=810579
I have the Kramer waterproof thermal breeches, I also very rarely wear them, as they are way too hot for me!

Keith_Beef

Novice equestrian, accomplished equichetrian
Visit site
Fishing section at Decathlon might have something you can wear underneath your current clothing. And thermal insoles for wellies, in the hunting section (at least, here in France).

Riding requires some effort from the rider, generating heat. Fishing involves lots of sitting around doing bugger all in the cold and damp. I used to know quite a few men who went carp fishing, who freely admitted to getting their wives to buy tights in the biggest sizes, and would wear two pairs under their trousers.