Really fed up - help - arthritis

pottamus

Visit site
I am new to arthritis in horses and am getting fed up with the roller coaster of trying to get my lad right with it. Since he had a flare up two weeks ago he has also been a bit sensitive on one side of the underside of a hoof - when tapped with a hoof pick.
He has been doing well but tonight had a wappy in the field bucking, cantering and bronking until I could catch him :(
He now looks sorry for himself in his stable and his bad leg is even more sensitive when tapped with a hoof pick. I am really worried because he is overdue for shoeing (farrier did not want to do him needlessly with no growth), but worried he wont be able to shoe him if he has an issue somewhere with that leg or foot relating to the arthritis.
My question is for those with experience - is it possible for a horse to be sensitive when shod because of arthritis in his lower legs??? Is it possible that the tapping is reverberating further up the leg where his arthritis is...has this happened to anyone elses horse?
Thanks a million in advance.

Tiarella

www.myspace.com
Where is his arthritis? Sounds something more than arthritis to me but I'm no expert. My boy has arthritis at 9 and still competing dressage (moving up to elem soon) with no struggle and a very expensive supplement. The more work he does the better he is.

Slightlyconfused

Go away, I'm reading
Visit site
My mare has it in her hocks, she used to me very sore during and after shoeing so I took her shoes off, mainly due to other reasons as well, and she is now bf.

She didn't need boots and has actually been alot better picking her hooves out. So that might be an option?

If he needs something on his feet boot him up so it saves the concussion on his joints.

Archiepoo

Visit site
i think the arthritis in the lower leg actually makes the legs weaker so the shoeing is difficult because of being unable to support themselves on the other 3 legs. weve got one on the yard and he has metacam before trimming to just make sure hes not in pain but if the farrier pics his feet too high he loses his balance and threatens to fall. is your horse on bute or anything for the arthritis?

Superhot

Visit site
My mare suffered when being shod so I always buted her a few days in advance. It hurt her to hold her leg still in the same position for any length of time...

Roasted Chestnuts

Visit site
My gelding had it in one hock and now I suspect he has it in both. The trick ios finding a supplement or treatment that works for you both IMO. My guy is 22 and was diagnosed @ 15 :) hes had a few flares ups lasting no more than a week and other than this has been sound :)

If the underside of the hoof is sore when tapped with a pick then I think you need to get this investigate as I have never heard of soore soles/frogs being associated with arthritis.

Hope you find out what it is.