Really good Purple shampoo?

Cob Life

Visit site
Can anyone recommend a good purple shampoo?
Washing up liquid just isn’t doing it, he’s still yellow. I’m washing his hind legs and tail weekly.

Ive seen a lot of different ones recommended on Instagram but a lot of those are sponsored posts.

Goldenstar

Visit site
John Frieda .
If you are really stuck make a thick paste out of hot water and Ariel powder work it into the free end of the tail ( below the dock )
You need to wash the tail first then give it a swirl round so its wet not dripping then work in the Ariel paste put the tail in a plastic bag and
fix it on with a tail bandage leave for at least twenty minutes then wash the end in as hot water as you can bear and rinse throughly then condition.
Tomato sauce is quite good roughly wash the tail towel dry the. Work in masses of Tomato sauce leave at least twenty minutes
One yard I worked on used bleach it does work but it’s a bit extreme .

Cob Life

Visit site
John Frieda .
If you are really stuck make a thick paste out of hot water and Ariel powder work it into the free end of the tail ( below the dock )
You need to wash the tail first then give it a swirl round so its wet not dripping then work in the Ariel paste put the tail in a plastic bag and
fix it on with a tail bandage leave for at least twenty minutes then wash the end in as hot water as you can bear and rinse throughly then condition.
Tomato sauce is quite good roughly wash the tail towel dry the. Work in masses of Tomato sauce leave at least twenty minutes
One yard I worked on used bleach it does work but it’s a bit extreme .
It the legs I’m struggling with! He’s rugged (thankfully) but I washed him yesterday and hes already dirty again (really bad too, not just slightly) as he likes to sleep in his poo. Obviously I can’t wash him everyday so need something that will work to get the stains out when I do wash him

iknowmyvalue

Visit site
Wahl diamond white or the supreme products blue shampoo work well for me! If they’re really stained I usually do the first wash with green/blue washing up liquid, then use blue shampoo.

Cob Life

Visit site
Wahl diamond white or the supreme products blue shampoo work well for me! If they’re really stained I usually do the first wash with green/blue washing up liquid, then use blue shampoo.
I’ve seen both these recommended before so I’ll give them a try!
i usually wash with fairy platinum then a cheap and cheerful blue shampoo but the blue isn’t quite strong enough to get rid of the yellow

Nicnac

Visit site
Please don't use washing up liquid on legs. It's really not suitable. You'd be better off using a shampoo such as Cowboy Magic and then putting baby oil or lots of coat conditioner on legs so dirt doesn't stick. Are you competing every week? Just curious as to why he needs his legs/tail to be clean all the time?

tda

Visit site
I didn't find much helped any better that warm water and washing up liquid. I did use the supreme products blue powder for a final rinse

Cob Life

Visit site
Please don't use washing up liquid on legs. It's really not suitable. You'd be better off using a shampoo such as Cowboy Magic and then putting baby oil or lots of coat conditioner on legs so dirt doesn't stick. Are you competing every week? Just curious as to why he needs his legs/tail to be clean all the time?
He doesn’t need to be sparkling white all the time but he literally is covered up one leg (including under his rug? Not sure how he does that!) in a layer of poo every morning. It’s not his lower leg so much, more his thigh.

He’s allergic to a lot of oils so I have to be careful with what I use. I do use baby oil in the ends of his tail and it works really well

iknowmyvalue

Visit site
He doesn’t need to be sparkling white all the time but he literally is covered up one leg (including under his rug? Not sure how he does that!) in a layer of poo every morning. It’s not his lower leg so much, more his thigh.

He’s allergic to a lot of oils so I have to be careful with what I use. I do use baby oil in the ends of his tail and it works really well
you can use coat shine and conditioner to help stop it sticking and staining so much! I’d also recommend the “bath in a bottle” for something you don’t have to rinse out. Think it’s miracle groom who make it? Or someone like that anyway... I’d just brush off what you can and use that and a damp sponge to get most of it off, then just bath once a week or so. Once you get on top of the yellow, it’s much easier to keep them clean :)

Cob Life

Visit site
you can use coat shine and conditioner to help stop it sticking and staining so much! I’d also recommend the “bath in a bottle” for something you don’t have to rinse out. Think it’s miracle groom who make it? Or someone like that anyway... I’d just brush off what you can and use that and a damp sponge to get most of it off, then just bath once a week or so. Once you get on top of the yellow, it’s much easier to keep them clean :)

I usually bath that leg once a week, daily it is attacked with a curry comb (occasionally a no rinse shampoo that he tries to drink) then is sprayed with mane and tail conditioner

iknowmyvalue

Visit site
I usually bath that leg once a week, daily it is attacked with a curry comb (occasionally a no rinse shampoo that he tries to drink) then is sprayed with mane and tail conditioner
Sounds like a good plan! The bath in a bottle or a decent stain removed will help keep on top of the yellow! I had a filthy coloured (mostly white, with pink skin too) who managed to cover herself in poo and wee on a daily basis, so I feel your pain!

Cob Life

Visit site
Sounds like a good plan! The bath in a bottle or a decent stain removed will help keep on top of the yellow! I had a filthy coloured (mostly white, with pink skin too) who managed to cover herself in poo and wee on a daily basis, so I feel your pain!
I’ve never met a Horse so prone to getting dirty! And all our riding school ponies were grey! Ive got the Naf stain remover and that doesn’t seem to do anything, the car & day&martin one seems to work a little better

jnb

Visit site
Not that this probably helps but my cob is out 24/7 with a thickly shavings bedded shelter - white legs and feet and almost never had mud on them and definitely no poo stains. I assume your horse is in at night, can he stay out?
If not - the bigger the bed, the better for avoiding poo stains, my last cob was a grey and had a huge shavings bed, rarely had a poo stain & i just sponged them off every morning to keep on top of them. His tail was snow white too, washed it only when I had to go anywhere through winter and kept it just below the hock (show cob) which helped a lot.

PS the Henny Feather soap is good for legs, or for stain removal, Tresemme (human) Clarifying Shampoo (the one that removes product residue)

Cob Life

Visit site
Not that this probably helps but my cob is out 24/7 with a thickly shavings bedded shelter - white legs and feet and almost never had mud on them and definitely no poo stains. I assume your horse is in at night, can he stay out?
If not - the bigger the bed, the better for avoiding poo stains, my last cob was a grey and had a huge shavings bed, rarely had a poo stain & i just sponged them off every morning to keep on top of them. His tail was snow white too, washed it only when I had to go anywhere through winter and kept it just below the hock (show cob) which helped a lot.

PS the Henny Feather soap is good for legs, or for stain removal, Tresemme (human) Clarifying Shampoo (the one that removes product residue)

no was to keep him out at night but it doesn’t seem to make a difference anyway as in the summer he lives out 24/7 and is still just as bad!

I have got to chop a big chunk off his tail today though

onemoretime

Visit site
For his tail either white vinegar rinse or a couple of teaspoons of bicarbonate of soda in water as hot as you can stand your hand in. Swirl his tail around in this for a few minutes then wash with the blue shampoo and then condition well. This should help if done regularly. As others have said coat conditioner will help stop stains penetrating deeply.

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
Tomato juice or paste works on stubborn urine stains. Daub on the stained bits and leave on for 20 mins or so, then wash off with any shampoo/soap. Also works with skunk spray, but that's not commonly needed in this part of the world......

Ossy2

Visit site
I’ve found Baby shampoo better than any purple shampoo, I even use it twice a week on my own highlights to keep them fresh.

Cob Life

Visit site
For his tail either white vinegar rinse or a couple of teaspoons of bicarbonate of soda in water as hot as you can stand your hand in. Swirl his tail around in this for a few minutes then wash with the blue shampoo and then condition well. This should help if done regularly. As others have said coat conditioner will help stop stains penetrating deeply.

honesly I don’t have any issue at all with his tail, for anyone hi struggles with tails baby oil works amazing for that! The dirt sticks to the oil not the so as soon as I wash it it just washes straight off! Then I condition and reapply oil.

I’ve left a bit of baby oil on one of his clipped parts to see if he has a reaction to it, if he doesn’t I’ll try that on this pain in the butt back leg!

Cob Life

Visit site
So I’ve tried the supreme products blue shampoo and it’s works well,he’s not been washed at all for 2 weeks as it was so cold and it got out all stains from the last 2 weeks. I think if I give the yellow patches a wash Sunday and let it sit a little longer they may reduce more too. It’s the best one I’ve used so far