Really horrible story from the USA...

westernlover

New User
Visit site
Hi guys and gals.
I am new here, spent all my life in the UK but hopefully USA bound in the near future so I currently spend a lot of time loitering on US boards picking up as much info as I can about stuff in general. I saw this story which has been featured on Miami tv, I have honestly never heard anything so truly sickening in my life, heaven forbid this kind of thing should ever happen here.
The link is
http://www.nbcmiami.com/news/local/From-...kbGvKkCp4XehGcB

I apologise if it offends anyone, luckily you can read the story without having to see anything too graphic as the bad stuff is separate media.

Beccaeve

Visit site
Thats horrific
frown.gif

bandit

Visit site
I think that is the sickest animal cruetly thing I have ever read, and seen....

I hope they find these butchers, and then take them and skin then (no doubt alive) and leave them by the side of a road.

Truly sorry for all those who have had horses taken in this way, and I hope they do find the butchers soon so it can come to a quick end.

Bx

*hic*

village idiot :D
Visit site
One thing that horrified me was the "wealthy owner" who gave a horse to its handler when it broke a leg on the track. She sold it for $500 - and it ended up at a meat farm.

Total lack of responsibility on his part, money making wheeze on hers - and no thought for the animal on either part.

westernlover

New User
Visit site
You know, the more I think about it the more concerned I get. Maybe it wouldn't happen here under those exact circumstances as I guess it's possible to buy horsemeat somewhere legally if you really have to eat it because of your ethnicity or whatever PC excuse you care to use.
The worry is that it is a new twist to horse rustling and potentially so much easier for the opportunist. Previously you would have needed a trailer which is pretty visible whilst out and about, and also you would need to have somewhere to store it. However, by butchering on the spot you just take the bits you want and leave the bits you don't-I bet you wouldn't need anything bigger than a normal car to do it. Also you don't have the risk of being caught at a sale with a stolen horse.
The scum doing this are obviously experienced horse handlers and will have no morals about what they pass the meat off as to (eg) the restaurant trade. As Geronimo appears to have been taken in broad daylight (last seen at 7am) whats to say gangs over here won't start doing daylight round-ups out on the moors where there is no-one to see them? This is the disadvantage of the internet, it spreads stuff like this and gives lowlife ideas.
Be aware that the human race has sunk even lower than you ever could have imagined
frown.gif

cefyl

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Hi guys and gals.
I am new here, spent all my life in the UK but hopefully USA bound in the near future so I currently spend a lot of time loitering on US boards picking up as much info as I can about stuff in general. I saw this story which has been featured on Miami tv, I have honestly never heard anything so truly sickening in my life, heaven forbid this kind of thing should ever happen here.
The link is
http://www.nbcmiami.com/news/local/From-...kbGvKkCp4XehGcB

I apologise if it offends anyone, luckily you can read the story without having to see anything too graphic as the bad stuff is separate media.

[/ QUOTE ]

frown.gif
Well if you are US bound to live you had better get used to seeing stories like this. Hate (and ashamed having dual nat & pt time home there). The amount of cruelty, neglect, and sheer abuse of domestic animals - dogs / cats /horses is on a huge scale. If you have ever seen Animal Cops Houston / Philly / Detroit / Phoenix that only shows the tip of the iceberg.

Thanks to PETA getting the slaughter houses in the USA shut down for good now there is no legally killed (and humanely killed) horse meat available. So this is going to happen.

I hear time and time again about horders and puppy mills and foal farms (the Amish are prime millers and PMU mare producers). Only last year a puppy mill was raided in VA and 1,000 (yes 1,000!!!) dogs seized, leaving the owner with his legal limit of 500 dogs....my god what has the world come to.

http://uk.biz.yahoo.com/09112007/323/massive-dog-breeding-farm-rescue-va.html

http://www.metropets.org/Newsroom/articles/premarin.php

GreySorrel

Visit site
While I admit that the USA has its share of animal cruelty, don't let what you watch on tv lead you to assume we have the worst problems. I have seen animal cruelty in other countries my husband and I lived in as well.

I found this while doing a google search on puppy mills in Europe...
"One of our breeder friends in the Netherlands told us about a special television program that aired recently in her country. It was about Eastern European puppy mills. Eastern Europe is the largest home base of incredibly grisly puppy mills. These mills spread dogs all over the world and earn huge amounts of money in the process. They work on pure volume. The individual health of the parents or puppies is considered so little as not to be even a trivial matter. This documentary was made in Hungary, filmed under cover. You can view the video at www.trosradar.nl. Click on bekijk videofragment. It is in Dutch but the visuals say enough. It was produced by TROS Television for their program Radar. The program is called Illegale HohndeHandel - Het Vervolg.

The program illustrated a breeder putting 2 week old Chihuahua's in a Tupperware box without their mother. It showed two year old females who had already had 4 litters with their 5th on the way. It showed the horrible conditions that the dogs live in – in very small cages, too small to even move around in or sleep comfortably, all in an environment of unbearable stench. Mothers and their offspring in layers of excrement. "

Not sure if anyone has seen this. I get sick to my stomach hearing about any form of abuse. And if someone came and did that to one of my horses, you could bet I would be going target practicing and have my extra clip for my pistol in case I missed the first tome..AT close range!!

Good god I hope they catch the murdering b@$tards that did that to those horses!!

cefyl

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
While I admit that the USA has its share of animal cruelty, don't let what you watch on tv lead you to assume we have the worst problems. I have seen animal cruelty in other countries my husband and I lived in as well.

[/ QUOTE ]

No one is being lead by the tv programmes, they are just the surface. Ireland (Republic of) has it's fair share of puppy mills, as does Eastern Europe, all illegal and thankfully the EU is making moves to regulate and shut down these houses of horror.

HOWEVER the USA government for all it's bleating about animal rights and policing other countries activities on animal welfare how on earth can they ethically give PERMISSION for someone to keep 500 - yes 500 dogs LEGALLY for breeding purposes. And they say if it is licenced it is not a puppy mill, well if that is not then what is. And these live in crates stacked 7 - 8 high, litter trays never cleaned, dogs never groomed / exercised, bitches on their 5th - 6th litter by 5 yrs old (if they survive that long).

And now they have closed the humane slaughterhouses in the US they are happy to sit back and watch thousands of horses make several days journey without proper rest, food or water to Mexico to be killed in a crush by stabbing.

We too have lived in many several countries, we spend considerable time in the US in VA / TX, but out main home is Europe. I travel extensively and am involved in equine and canine health and welfare, and at times rescue. The problem is worldwide but the USA as a so called civilised country does have a disproportionate amount of puppy mills and PMU farms.

Puppy

Visit site
frown.gif
frown.gif
frown.gif
I can't imagine finding my horses like that. What evil b*astards!! I hope they catch them asap!!
mad.gif
mad.gif

GreySorrel

Visit site
I can't argue with that. I have seen the worst and I often wonder if it isn't because we have the bleeding hearts who can't see that without slaughter, horses are left in some deplorable conditions and yet they turn a blind eye. I have challenged those who are against slaughter, are they going to open their barns and pastures for the unwanted, unloved, old, tired, etc. None will.

I use to rescue Northern Breeds...Malamutes and Siberian Huskies. I got out of it eventually because someone came in our yard in TX and stole my female that we brought back from Germany with us who was hand, voice, English and German command trained as well as a therapy dog. I also got so tired of the plethora of excuses people would give me for turning in or abandoning their animal. And yes, on breeding, on the abuse, the misunderstanding of the Northern Breeds.

My female Husky, Dakota, I have now, she came to us as a 5 year old. We were her 6th home and her permanent home. Why was she given up by her last owner? The husbands wife did not like her constant shedding, it messed her carpets up...*sigh* I found out that she was bought by the first owner, they abused, beat and starved her, and it went south from there. She has separation anxiety so she does sleep with us at night and I have to be mindful when I leave the house to shut all doors and give her something to chew on.

My Malamute/Shepherd (or fondly called a Malamutt) Rocky was severely abused. As with Dakota, Rocky had a lot of issues when I took him in from the pound. The owners beat him, starved him and he was living out of trash cans. If a man in any type of uniform came into the house, he would cower and pee on the ground and himself, then growl and slink away. He too was 5 when I got him, I tried to rehome him once, he didn't bond with the family and I brought him home, and here he stayed, he is now 13 and slowing down a lot. However, Rocky is my constant shadow and the best damn dog I will ever be honored to have. It took some doing to rehab him but he has learned to trust and to know we will never let him suffer. I owe him that much for being such a good companion.

Sorry to go on and on, I am very passionate about how we treat our animals, be them equine or canine. One thing I have also seen, many do not want regulation of having to neuter or spay or to put a regulation on how often we breed our animals. They want to do what they want to do and damn what anyone thinks because it is THEIR animal.

I have lost friends for my stand on animal abuse. I have been told I am too blunt and I am too in your face. Well, so be it. And I do apologize if I offended anyone on this list, that really is not my intent.

Scratchline

Visit site
I have lost friends for my stand on animal abuse. I have been told I am too blunt and I am too in your face. Well, so be it. And I do apologize if I offended anyone on this list, that really is not my intent.

If everyone thought as you did there wouldnt be any animal abuse. Hardly a fault you have
smile.gif

westernlover

New User
Visit site
It's my thread and you all have my official permission to say exactly what you want
wink.gif
wink.gif
wink.gif

Seriously though, I think we are all very passionate about animal welfare and if other people don't like our opinions then TOUGH. I would have absolutely no problem in dealing with these kind of abusers on an "eye for an eye" basis and I don't care how many hand-wringing liberals I enrage by saying so.
tongue.gif

GreySorrel

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No one is being lead by the tv programmes, they are just the surface. Ireland (Republic of) has it's fair share of puppy mills, as does Eastern Europe, all illegal and thankfully the EU is making moves to regulate and shut down these houses of horror.

HOWEVER the USA government for all it's bleating about animal rights and policing other countries activities on animal welfare how on earth can they ethically give PERMISSION for someone to keep 500 - yes 500 dogs LEGALLY for breeding purposes. And they say if it is licenced it is not a puppy mill, well if that is not then what is. And these live in crates stacked 7 - 8 high, litter trays never cleaned, dogs never groomed / exercised, bitches on their 5th - 6th litter by 5 yrs old (if they survive that long).

And now they have closed the humane slaughterhouses in the US they are happy to sit back and watch thousands of horses make several days journey without proper rest, food or water to Mexico to be killed in a crush by stabbing.

We too have lived in many several countries, we spend considerable time in the US in VA / TX, but out main home is Europe. I travel extensively and am involved in equine and canine health and welfare, and at times rescue. The problem is worldwide but the USA as a so called civilised country does have a disproportionate amount of puppy mills and PMU farms.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just know and please understand Cefyl...there is abuse in EVERY corner of the globe, not just the USA and I wanted to clarify that. Look at how China and Japan view dogs? Mmm tasty after being bashed and beaten, makes the meat more tender. Had a lady I worked for who was German who said after her pony died, the vet deemed it natural causes and they had the butcher come and they bbq'd the "beloved" pet. ACK! How about the Phillipines who bbq their canines too? Or the Costa Rican artist Guillermo Vargas featured a starving street dog as “art” in a Nicaraguan gallery?

I just didn't want those who have never been to the USA to assume were all slackers, redneck, ignorant, unfeeling, jerks. What you see on tv and the news is not how EVERYONE here thinks or acts or treats their pets. And again, not ALL of our government is how you described, many are pet and animal lovers and I can give you presidents who had ponies, horses and hound in the White House throughout their presidency. Many Americans do what we can to stop what is going on, I just ask that you don't lead others to assume we are the worst, as believe me, were not, were just part of the bigger picture.