Really, really wrong horse names...

Caol Ila

Visit site
A friend of mine bought a young horse and called him Sphere, with the show name of Inertia. This was due to the fact that we were all sure the horse had some kind of learning disability as he clearly wasn't 'all there' and we had never encountered a horse so difficult to train to stop and steer. Hence, "an object in motion remains in motion..." His owner was also studying physics. Ah.... physics jokes...

Last edited:
Visit site
I have a Jasper, a Jeff, Gerry, Kyle, Laurel, Pippa, Lucy. I dont like human names for horses but they were all named before I got them.

My homebreds are called Rains, S.O.S., Firefly and RQs (pronounced Arks).

I also have a Flint, Ranger, Charm, Freebie, Bells and Gray - no prizes for guessing what colour he is :p

TheHairyOne

Visit site
Our old yard had not 1, but 2 Ralph's and a Norman!!!

My sister also owns Bruce...but ALL our poor horses get stupid nicknames, so we now shout Toad across the field! I am not sure which is worse. :)

Cobiau Cymreig Wyllt

Visit site
My daughter 5yo at the time, firmly announced that her sec A was to be called.....David.
Not Davy, not Dai, not Dewi, not Dafydd....(yes we were trying to talk her out of it and yes, we're in Wales) but David.
So David he is, and David he has remained, despite having gone elsewhere for a while and coming back named Bailey. :rolleyes: Which, of course actually makes him David Bailey :D

Bojingles

Visit site
When I was a kid I rode a riding school horse called Paul. Paul??!!!

I think Paul's pretty bad but after much thought, I've decided DEAN takes the prize

Bojingles

Visit site
And Joan. Can you imagine a horse called Joan? For god's sake, someone tear me away from this screen. It's turned into my new favourite game.

GinaGeo

Visit site
I've got a Mick and know of a Rodger, a Bob, a Connor and an Eric, all on their passports so have to compete under those names too. They were all imported from Ireland. They're imaginative aren't they :rolleyes:

ETA: I know a Russ too! And spent along time trying to convince my cousins to call their new horse Colin or Alan. He was christened neither :(

Last edited:

somethingillremember

Visit site
My first pony was called Guy , I currently have a Sebastian and a Mouse. My best , solemate horse's nickname was Poodle ( I dont know why it suited her but it did) , one of my cats is Charles and my friends horse is called Rook ( black Friesian).

Buds_mum

Visit site
My friend had a horse called Ricky.... Never seemed right!

Of course my horse is named Buddy Holly so I can't say anything :eek: All his brothers and sister are named after old age popstars, Buddy, Ringo, Elvis lastest one is Patsy... Just what his breeder does lol!

wench

Visit site
Worst one ever, posh name of Private Parts.

My horse was called Henry, thought it was a stupid name at first but actually suited him.

Have known of a Clive, Hector, Horace.

Hexx

Visit site
We have a Nigel on our yard. We also have a gelding called Shirley!

I remember reading on a forum once about someone who had a mare called Penny - however, she wanted to be diffferent, so decided to spell it Peni. The only problem came when she wrote her name on items, eg, Peni's bucket, Peni's brush, Peni's wheelbarrow

nikCscott

Visit site
I had a Basil once... you just could help calling him in from the friend Faulty Towers styleee "Baaaaa-silllllllll"!

Aidey

Visit site
Went and tried a pony once whose name was Mavis.

My new girl is coming tomorrow, her name originally was Sweetheart! But the people I am buying her off renamed her Lady, I'm not a fan of either but I will prefer shouting Lady at the field gate rather than Sweetheart :eek::D