Really shocked at Insurance premium increase

Biglets Mummy

Visit site
Anyone else reeling from an increase in their dogs policy ? Just rung up to change my direct debit details and agent ended the call by saying " Ok so on the first of August we will debit your account with £17.98" to which I said " Hang on its currently £12.40..."
Its due for renewal this month hence the increase......I can understand a pound maybe but over £5 increase??? Over £60 a year increase??
I've never claimed on the policy. I've left it as it stands as haven't got the time today to shop around and dont want her not insured but really pretty shocked.
Its with More Than pet insurance. Worn out at all this ever increasing costs all the time. Farrier has just put his costs up this morning by £5.00 per trim and £10 per set.
All pretty tough on an already tight budget - Thank god for ALDI x

blackcob

🖖
Visit site
Lifetime or 12 month limited policy? Either way that still sounds like a bargain, sorry. :eek: Mine have gone up a few quid every year, with or without claims, and I expect a bigger jump this year as they've hit seven (which is often a cut-off point for new lifetime policies, depending on breed).

Biglets Mummy

Visit site
Lifetime or 12 month limited policy? Either way that still sounds like a bargain, sorry. :eek: Mine have gone up a few quid every year, with or without claims, and I expect a bigger jump this year as they've hit seven (which is often a cut-off point for new lifetime policies, depending on breed).

Its 12 month unlimited - Thought the £12 was good value tbh. Not so sure about the £17 and would have liked a warning letter to say it was going up :)

Teaselmeg

Visit site
My insurance renewal last month went up from £45 per month to £156 ! After some complaining, it has come back down to a more manageable amount with less cover, but he is still insured. I would be ecstatic to pay £17 per month !!

fankino04

Visit site
Just cancelled mine and paying money into "dog account" instead after it went up from 20 for 1 and 25 for the other to 35 each, again no claims or health issues, am fortune that I have just paid off the credit cards so if we need to pay a big bill before the balance in their account has built up we can do it and I've never been in that position before so was always at the mercy of the insurance companies.

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
god, the cheapest quotes I am getting are for £20pcm. My old dogs premiums eventually went up to £1200pa (from £800). I switched insurers who obviously excluded anything preexisting until their premiums shot up and then I stopped. I kind of think I will stop insuring at 8yo and rely on savings after that. OH and I have very clear ideas on what we would and wouldn't do after that.

Princess16

Visit site
Gosh that's cheap! I am paying £70.75 per month for lifetime cover (£4K p.a.) with Pet Plan.

I'd count your blessings at £17!

satinbaze

Visit site
Lily's policy with lifetime pet cover has just been renewed. It is now £37 per month for a 10 year old flatcoat. Claimed last month for oral lump to be removed. V prompt payment. TBH I really thought premiums would go up a lot more after the claim so I'm really happy

Alec Swan

Visit site
Gosh that's cheap! I am paying £70.75 per month for lifetime cover (£4K p.a.) with Pet Plan.

…….. !

There must be more to it than that, surely. Have you made a claim? At £4k pa, I'm staggered.

We're with the Co-op and it's £132 pa (£11 pm). It's inclusive of all costs and there are no limitations.

Alec.

MurphysMinder

Visit site
My policy wih NFU more than doubled at renewal this year for my eldest GSD (she was 7 at the time). I have never claimed and it was fairly basic vets fee cover (no lifetime) . I was not impressed and they couldn't give me a good reason so I have cancelled the policy. If the need arises I have some savings and an understanding vet!

blackcob

🖖
Visit site
I suspect Princess means 4k vet fees cover p.a, 4k p.a in premiums would be worth cancelling your policy and 'self insuring' for!

I handle a dozen or more insurance claim forms a day at work and have seen so many people be caught out by 12 month policies, basic accident only cover and cheap policies with unreasonable exclusions and low vet fee limits. If in doubt, Petplan, they really are worth paying a quid or two a month more.

FWIW between my three they average £28/month per dog.

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
OH does the dog insurance, but the horse insurance went up £50 this year and £50 the year before. My landlord's insurance is nearly £100 more this year!! I'm looking for a new policy!

Alec Swan

Visit site

I'd count your blessings at £17!

I suspect Princess means 4k vet fees cover p.a, 4k p.a in premiums would be worth cancelling your policy and 'self insuring' for!

…….. .

I apologise. £70.75 pm equates to £850 pa. I still think that it's an awful lot of dosh, for all that!

We have 4 dogs, and only one is insured (considering 'him', a high risk lurcher!), and I still wonder if we aren't better off putting the money 'invested' in a teapot and facing the rainy-day when it arrives!

Again, I apologise Princess, I miss-read your post! :)

Alec.

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
It's definitely cheaper putting the money away if you've got enough set by for emergencies initially. As Alce pointed out £70 a month would build up quickly, after three years you'd have £2500..

I stopped insuring my dogs a few years ago. One dog has had X-rays and treatments for a damaged crucuate but Ive still spent less than I would have done on premiums (same for the horse, which had a bone chip). I also think the vets are a bit more thoughtful and don't run bills up. We have a great vet that I trust though.