Really Sweaty Horse!! (long sorry!)

christian

RaThEr-bE-RiDiN0610.bebo.com
Seriously! i have never known a horse sweat as much as todgie.

Today i went on a fairly long ride. the weather was warmish but there was a lovely cool breeze. i WALKED for the first five minutes up the road (she fidgets and fights. I have too argue sometimes to keep her in walk to save galavanting up the road faster then you can say gallop) and after 5 minutes walking (sensible for her) she was sweating like an absolute pig, literally foaming!!!!! She always gets like it and I don't see why. I've never known any horse like it!

She isn't a hairy sort. She a 16.2 WB/TB 13yo mare by Dutch Gold. She was fully clipped for winter, and is growing back her summer coat nicely. Its not like she isn't fit. I gallop her at least a mile at least once a week, occasionally with her owners pointer, and she can keep up. I've hunted her into the ground all season and she's been brilliant, will hunt all day no sweat (scuse the pun) and we are now hunter trialing and SJing. She is fit enough that owner was considering taking her in the members race at Flagg Moor point to point last week. I can't even consider trying to school her atm because i can't contain her enough because she is sooo lively. So its not because she isn't fit. You can rule that out.

She is fed Sugar beet and Baileys conditioning cubes to keep her weigt on with all the work she gets, if that info helps.

I don't mind, its just her tack is always disgustingly sweaty even after a quiet walk, and i get conscious that people think i am riding an unfit horse, even though i' m not!

She does sometimes get wound up on rides, i'll be honest, but a lot of the time even when we've been for a quiet stroll and she hasn't messed at all, shes sweaty.
And I knooooowwwwww the weather is changing but its not that hot! I don't know any other horses that sweat like her atm!

Is it just her type? Or is there another reason?

Also is there anything i can do to make her sweat less?

Got a pik of her current condition if you want to see it.

Thanks in advance.......
grin.gif

hadleigh

Visit site
I have a 12 year old Hanoverian who also sweats huge amounts. He is somewhat overweight at the moment but not obese!! I have to change his saddle blanket every time I ride him 'cos of the sweat. I feed electro salts all year round because of the sweating. He doesn't seem bothered by it so I don't let it bother me either.

MagicMelon

Visit site
Isn't it simply because she gets worked up? There's not much you can do about that really if that's just her temperament.

One of my boys was dripping in sweat before I even begun warming up for a XC the other day all because he ponced about getting all excited and fidgety for 10 mins!

MrsMagoo

Visit site
my mare seems to always get hot as well...she is a ISH, just the right weight, competing fit etc but still just doing one round of SJ, she will be sweaty!! Think its just her nature...its a bit annoying as she looks a state when she dries out at shows etc but hey ho...i just make sure she has electrolytes etc!

Theresa_F

Visit site
My first TB would froth at a standstill - excitement - went hunting once and we had a puddle of white froth where we were standing and we hadn't even started out.

Always came back from rides sweaty - even a gentle walk.

I used to make sure she was always clipped out fully in winter so she dried quickly and had salt in her feed - these were days before we had the electrolyte supplements we have now.

I used a good quality saddlecloth to soak up the sweat and used to wipe over the tack after a ride to get the worst off.

Mine didn't improve with age - Breeze was like this to the day she died at 29.

vickers22

Visit site
its adrenaline!Exactly the same with zak-fighting fit and yet 5 mins walk especially on a humid/hot day will have him sweating. Yet sometimes after a full round xc he wont have broken sweat-not even under the saddle!!its so annoying because when i go hunting he gets so exited in the first 5 mins he'll have sweated into a froth and it looks like he is unfit!

guisbrogal

community.webshots.com
I too have a ISH and she is appalling for sweating!

Today she literally dripped and she is ridden roughly 6* a week for a minimum of an hour up and down hills. Sometimes fast work, sometimes slow so she is fit.

It is really embarrassing as she looks so scruffy (especially having the scars on her back too) and unfit. She does get a bit anxious sometimes when out but not all the time and the sweating is very excessive.

Today I have seriously considered having her clipped again, she is sporting a 'fading' trace clip at the moment.