Really tough lightweight T/O needed!

fairyclare

Visit site
Any recommendations for a really really tough, hard wearing lightweight.....

My girl has ripped her premier equine L/W and her Mark Todd L/W to ribbons on the barbed wire - HATE the barbed wire but its really the only down side to the yard so I am putting uo with it for now.

I was hoping not to have to spend a small fortune on a rug either!

Any recommendations??

Thanks in advance
smile.gif

Fiona

Visit site
Had a friend years ago who always customized the front part of his turnout rigs before they were put on the horse.

He had a couple of old canvas TOs (the green ones) and he had the saddler stitch a huge patch of the green canvas onto the chest area of the rug. He had a huge HW hunter type who loved leaning through fences, and this meant that he got a LOT longer out of a new rug.

In general I would say that ballistic nylon is a LOT tougher than polyester fabrics, but very little stands up to barbed wire I'm afraid.

Fiona

Fiona

K27

Visit site
Mark Todd Rugs are usually quite tough, but I agree not many rugs would probably stand up to Barbed wire, this type of fencing and horses don't mix! not to mention their rugs.

Have you considered JHL rugs which are v similar to the Mark Todds but a bit cheaper, or the Amigo's which are the Horseware economy brand, which are cheaper than the Rambo's and Rhino's.

marmalade76

Visit site
Thats a really good idea Fiona! If I had a rug trasher, other than doing something like that, I would buy the cheapest rugs I could find, including second hand and just throw them out when they've had it. Its soul distroying to spend a fortune on a rug only for it to be shredded the first time its worn.

fairyclare

Visit site
I quite agree about horses and barbed wire not mixing, I dispise the stuff but where I live there is a real shortage of yards and this is the best in the area.

She isn't a rug trasher at all, this is the 1st rug that has been trashed and its purely because we have no grass so she is leaning over the fence.

I have a JHL that I use as a spare, she has had it on today and so far there isn't a mark on it so I may well invest in a new 1.

I like the idea of reinforcing the fronts of the rugs, will get my rug man to do that, hopefully that will prolong the life of her perfectly good rug
smile.gif

hedge1

Visit site
I sympathise, have also paid a fortune for rug repairs in the past. I've recently ordered a lightweight turnout from Robinsons (cubert i think its called) - 1680 denier for around £50. Not arrived yet but hopefully will fit the bill

merlinsquest

Visit site
Are you able to run a line of leccy wire along the top of the barbed wire fence..... with those sticky out/screw in things rather than fence posts.

That way she will stay away from the fence full stop
smile.gif