Really tough toys

poiuytrewq

Visit site
Can anyone recommend some please?
We always seem to have a house load of broken dog toys!
Ive been replacing the crappy rope type and others with better quality, Our dogs are pretty serious about chewing (minus Basil who has cuddly squeaky stuff in my daughters room that’s lasted forever!)
So far I’ve had success, as in they are very chewed but not destroyed and In bits over the carpet with nylabone and benebone (cecils favourite)
Cecil in particular will sit and chew for hours so I don’t mind spending more than the £5 squeaky chicken type toy, especially is it’s not constantly bunging the hoover up!

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
Kongs.

Deer Antler.

The hard types of rubber ball that have flashing lights in.

These have survived Hector and Crackers, little terriers!

poiuytrewq

Visit site
Thanks.
I have a kong but they don’t have free access to it because the lab loves to break rubber into tiny bits and Basil loves to eat tiny bits of rubber ?‍♀️
I do need to get a couple extra and use them more.
Deer antlers are a good shout. Any idea where’s reasonable price wise to buy?
Flashy rubber balls would go down well I’m sure! Especially the lab likes a ball.
Yak chews I’ve found a bit hit and miss, they totally ignore them until one shows an interest then they all want the same one ? another thing I often reserve for one dog at home alone or something, great for that.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Yak chews are good, not a toy though I know.

Be careful with those! They are part Yak's milk and part cows' milk. It has taken over a week for one of our Labs to get over the digestive upset. We won't be bothering with those again.

We have found that antlers, coffee wood sticks and buffalo horns last pretty well. Some Kong toys do last well but choose carefully. Definitely avoid anything that squeaks, they will just want to remove the squeak.

Rowreach

👀
Visit site
My dog's destructive tendencies have been completely foiled by the hard plastic bone shaped toys I found in Poundstretcher. Not expensive, indestructible, and they survive being lost in the garden for long periods of time.

poiuytrewq

Visit site
My dog's destructive tendencies have been completely foiled by the hard plastic bone shaped toys I found in Poundstretcher. Not expensive, indestructible, and they survive being lost in the garden for long periods of time.
Yes! These are brilliant! The Benebone I mention above are a similar thing but in different shapes and apparently flavours!

poiuytrewq

Visit site
Coffee wood chews are fab, long lasting and not too harsh on the teeth like antlers can be. Or Goughnuts, tough rubber type chew that they will replace if your dog manages to destroy it past a certain point- https://www.goughnuts.com/
I’ll take a look. I bought a chunk of coffee wood, no ones that interested. That’s often the case with new things though. I’ll leave it out and one will eventually decide it’s the best thing ever!

poiuytrewq

Visit site
Be careful with those! They are part Yak's milk and part cows' milk. It has taken over a week for one of our Labs to get over the digestive upset. We won't be bothering with those again.

We have found that antlers, coffee wood sticks and buffalo horns last pretty well. Some Kong toys do last well but choose carefully. Definitely avoid anything that squeaks, they will just want to remove the squeak.
Squeak removal is pretty instant in this household!

Keith_Beef

Novice equestrian, accomplished equichetrian
Visit site
I’ll take a look. I bought a chunk of coffee wood, no ones that interested. That’s often the case with new things though. I’ll leave it out and one will eventually decide it’s the best thing ever!
Put it on the dining room table or on the kitchen worktop. The dog will think that he's stolen it. Stolen toys, treats or food are always true best.

poiuytrewq

Visit site
Benebones and antlers are the only thing that survive our 8 month old JRT! Oh and the flashing balls Red-1 mentions.
? where are all the people who’s dogs carefully carry soft toys around?!
I had this silly idea that little terriers could have loads of lovely toys which would last forever ?

EventingMum

Visit site
? where are all the people who’s dogs carefully carry soft toys around?!
I had this silly idea that little terriers could have loads of lovely toys which would last forever ?

Our pup has systematically destroyed every soft toy he has been allowed to have, the house often looks like a snowstorm with the stuffing from him dismembering them, ever the ones that are supposed to be extra tough. The eldest terrier, on the other hand, is very good, he has a soft toy hedgehog he has had for years that he gets at bedtime. He lovingly washes it each night and cuddles up with it but never chews it.

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
Apparently split antlers are better and less likely to break teeth. Bear and Zak both lost the same tooth, I’m pretty sure it was due to whole antler pieces. The current two love stones, I have to regularly remove them. They love bits of wood, I might look at coffee wood. Goose destroys toys, remove the squeak, pull out the stuffing, proudly carry round the empty shell, we’ve kept the destroyed monkey, it’s the only thing he likes to ‘paddle’ on my knee at night.

For long lasting chews, I use paddywack, not as calorific as pigs‘ ears or as likely to hurt teeth as yak chews, although I quite like those.

poiuytrewq

Visit site
Apparently split antlers are better and less likely to break teeth. Bear and Zak both lost the same tooth, I’m pretty sure it was due to whole antler pieces. The current two love stones, I have to regularly remove them. They love bits of wood, I might look at coffee wood. Goose destroys toys, remove the squeak, pull out the stuffing, proudly carry round the empty shell, we’ve kept the destroyed monkey, it’s the only thing he likes to ‘paddle’ on my knee at night.

For long lasting chews, I use paddywack, not as calorific as pigs‘ ears or as likely to hurt teeth as yak chews, although I quite like those.
Goose sounds like he’d be very much at home here ?

CanteringCarrot

Visit site
My Labrador is pretty good with soft toys and has a few. She mostly likes to carry them around or take one (or a few) to bed with her.

The coffee wood is good. It's a bit messy and leaves small pieces of wood around, but at least it doesn't smell.

Pigs ears last all of 5 minutes I swear ?

The deer antler is really hard and she's not that into them. Mostly carries it around, as chewed a bit on rare occasion. I've also seen Bison (or Buffalo, cannot recall) horn before too, but haven't tried it.

I thought I saw some sort of olive wood as well. Not sure how that is.

poiuytrewq

Visit site
My Labrador is pretty good with soft toys and has a few. She mostly likes to carry them around or take one (or a few) to bed with her.

The coffee wood is good. It's a bit messy and leaves small pieces of wood around, but at least it doesn't smell.

Pigs ears last all of 5 minutes I swear ?

The deer antler is really hard and she's not that into them. Mostly carries it around, as chewed a bit on rare occasion. I've also seen Bison (or Buffalo, cannot recall) horn before too, but haven't tried it.

I thought I saw some sort of olive wood as well. Not sure how that is.
Fancy a pig ear race? Sure we can beat you ?

TheOldTrout

Completely Unknown Member
Visit site
Our Parsons used to destroy squeaky toys in a maximum of 6 minutes. I bought him a Kong one, thinking it would last longer, he couldn't destroy it but lost interest in it after about 5 minutes because he couldn't kill it!