Really worried about big boy.

ROMANY 1959

Visit site
This may be a long story...
Three weeks ago his rider took him to pony club camp,where he did lots, xc , show jumping, team chasing and quite a bit of ground work schooling, he is, or I thought he was, quite fit, I drive him rider does all general stuff on him. 10 days ago he went one tenth lame on left hind, so yard owner said. So he has been doing in hand stuff, thought he was ok, but as the vet was at yard the other day for some other horse, I asked to share call out and asked him to look him over.
Vet could only find small cut on left hind fetlock, that we had seen and had dressed it, bit of puss came out of hit and he objected to it being pressed after 5 mins of it being pressed!!
Vet trotted him up, and he said he not tracking up on left hind as he should and he concurred he is 1/10 th lame . No heat anywhere, did flextion test, he was ok with that, just bit sensitive on loin area just behind saddle area, more on left than right, this would sort of add up to make him not quite right.
Now I am no expert, and I take their word for it, so he is in the field till farrier comes Friday, as vet said get him re shod and wait for the back expert to see him(20th sept)
I know there are many of you out there who are experts with backs, but it's not made matters any easier when a know it all horsey mate today said " oh it's probably kissing spines" I am so so worried now, I know in my head its probably just a little strain and if the vet can't find anything serous I should just let him rest and wait for the back expert. But I amWORRIED. When I said in hand I mean hand grazing and walks out for light excersise .
Thoughts please.
Choccies and tea for reading.

Last edited:

Abacus

Visit site
Sounds like a know it all to me. I'm not an expert either but I think if it was kissing spines there would be soreness on the spine if you run a finger along with some pressure. Right up in the centre of the back. Probably not on one side on the loin.

Don't listen to them but get a good back person if worried.

Good luck. x

LouS

Visit site
Could just be tightness somewhere. Mare I've just taken on was dragging both back legs quite badly, looking arthritic etc as she was so tight, two sessions and she is moving fantastically. I wouldn't panic just yet, just see what happens.

L&M

Visit site
I would try not to worry...the symptons of kissing spines are usually far more dramtic than that.

He may just be a little saddle sore from the intensive peiod of camp, coupled with an infected cut, being responsible for the lamness.

If it was my horse I would give him time off until your back person comes, then re assess from there. Also ask your farrier when he comes out, as may have a bruised sole or low grade abscess.

Hope he is ok.

ROMANY 1959

Visit site
Knew you people would help stop me worrying!!
Yes he is in the field, farrier Friday and I will ask him if he has something brewing in hoof, and wait for back lady, who comes v highly reccomended. Vet never got any response from his spine anyway, just me and my worry head on. Thanks.