Rearing horse

Graciee

New User
Visit site

Hi,

I have a 16.2, rising 7 year old, oldenburg mare, i usually jump her which she really enjoys, however, to keep the jumping progressing i also need to work on her flat work. this is where the problem lays, about one minute into our first trot she has started to plant her feet and then, upon me asking her to move on she rears. we have had all her teeth, back and saddle checked in the last 3 weeks and since the first check the habit seems to have set seed and she seems to have got worse! the rearing doesnt really bother me but yesterday she went up very high and i thought she was going over, i had my hands around her neck and slipped my feet out of the stirrups ready to hop off and she returned to the ground quite suddenly, not allowing me time to sit back up, she paniced at this and cantered off, swerving as she went as i was scaring her and i came off the side. i know it was my fault that i came off, as if i hadnt scared her then all would have been fine. i hurt my arm quite a bit and we thought i had broken it, so was unable to re-mount to try to school it out of her - which usually works as she only normally has one 'moment' - i went for some x-rays and it seems nothing is broken just bruised thankfully! however she now knows that she has got away with it once and being the bright spark she is i am worried next time i get on her she will do the same, or worse. basically does anyone have any tips for getting this habit sorted?! sorry for the essay but felt the more details given the easier it would be to help :) all replys appreciated!

p.s she is also a bit funny in her mouth!

dwi

Visit site
A silly question but how does she know you're not going to jump her? Presumably when you jump her you warm up in walk, trot and canter first so when you're asking for your first trot how does she know that its not just a warm up for a jumping session?

LaurenM

Visit site
Personally I would have remounted even if it was for a minute purely because i would be really nervous the next time round.

My boy rears but has never done it with me apart from the day he was loaded to come to my yard (hence how I know he does it). I've put a martingale on him just incase as it makes me feel abit safer too. Alot of people have told me that if he does it to smack him between the ears but I never have and prob wouldn't ever.

Would it make a difference hacking and then schooling to release some energy? Is the flat work relatively interesting to her?

Well done on having everything checked.

kirstyl

Visit site
Personally I would have remounted even if it was for a minute purely because i would be really nervous the next time round.

My boy rears but has never done it with me apart from the day he was loaded to come to my yard (hence how I know he does it). I've put a martingale on him just incase as it makes me feel abit safer too. Alot of people have told me that if he does it to smack him between the ears but I never have and prob wouldn't ever.

Would it make a difference hacking and then schooling to release some energy? Is the flat work relatively interesting to her?

Well done on having everything checked.

I agree with the above! Get him going forwards out hacking or round the fields with a sensible reliable companion. Were you asking for your horse to become rounder before he reared? I personally would take it back to basics. Get him out hacking and introduce regular lungeing and show him there is a life without the excitement of jumping all the time! Scary though, I hate rearers so would avoid putting myself in that position again

Graciee

New User
Visit site
thank you for replys :)

there isnt anyone else around that i can hack her with as there is only one other livery which is a nutter with anyone else. i can walk her out in hand and she is good but under saddle she doesnt get past the school! its silly as she is soooo spooky about anything like a bird or a leaf blowing across the track, but put a lion under a jump and there would be no problem!

and dwi ... don't have a clue!!

she has Baloubet du Rouet lines and i know he was also a bit of a character with a great jump so probably just in her temprement.

she is a very quick learner so i know all i need to do is find a way around this and all will be sorted! think i will lunge her to begin with tomorrow and then go from there.

Graciee

New User
Visit site
you know what, think it could be just that ... came very heavily into season today!!! will be off to the feed merchants for oestrus tomorrow, hopfully it will have the desired effect! arm still very stiff so havent been able to ride at all but lunged her this morning with her head strapped down after some research as this should make it near impossible for her to get the right center of gravity to go up in the first place, however i know this isnt a solution for riding! thanks again for advice :D

Sal_E

Visit site
I have to ask the same question - how does she know if you're doing flat or jumping? Sounds a bit odd?

Assuming there's no pain, fear etc & it's just a form of napping, I'd take the pressure right off. As soon as she plants, I'd make her stand rather than pressuring her to go forwards. Make her stand until she wants to go forwards (starts to fidget) then send her forwards into trot or canter - shooting forwards isn't a problem at this stage. I would certainly use a whip to help you get her forwards IF you need it.

Personally, I wouldn't slip my stirrups in that situation - I think you were right to throw your weight forwards, but quitting your stirrups does put you in an unbalanced situation. If you feel nervous about your foot getting stuck, how about using peacock stirrups for a while so your foot could come out easier in a tricky situation?

Also, get yourself a neck strap to grab if she goes up.

Once she comes down, send her forwards sharply, try to get her straight into concentrated work - so send her into shoulder in or a 5m circle - something to get her concentrating & listening to you.

scally

Visit site
Sorry, but why on earth strap her head down when lunging her, firstly it is serving no purpose as she only (from your description rears when you are onboard) and secondly it is teaching her nothing except when she works it causes her pain and discomfort, makes her muscles ache and go in a totally unnatural position so is possibly a reason why she is rearing as resents any work that doesnt involve a jump. Dont believe they cannot rear with their heads strapped down, they can, the only thing they cant do is keep their balance so easily.

Go back to basics, if she is mouthy get her teeth checked again, then check that the bit is comfortable for her, all horses mouths are different and if in any doubt get an expert out to check the bit is not causing any discomfort. Ensure that the bit is not pinching her at all, also get someone to check you out and your position, that you are quiet and in balance with her, not pulling the reins or over riding.

Agree with Sal-E, if she threatens you, then sit still and let her wait until she fidgets before asking her to move off, keep work entertaining circles, changes of rein, transitions with the pace and up and down transitions, keep her mind on you. Long reining her may well help, to get her going forward in a relaxed outline. A horse cannot work out if they are warming up to jump or schooling, if it helps put poles on the ground as part of your flatwork if it helps concentrate her mind. Also vary her routine, it sounds that you dont hack but purely jump or school to which she may be getting stale with, if you do hack out you can do a lot of schooling on your hacks that you can do in the school.

Please please do not strap her down at all, if you do and she goes up you are seriously risking her going over on you.

Sal_E

Visit site
I didn't notice the bit about strapping him down but also agree that's not a great thing to do - if a horse wants to rear it WILL & it's balance comes from it's neck - if it goes up without the balance, you've got more chance of it falling over... Personally, I'd stick to the neck strap so YOU have something but it doesn't interfere with the horse...

Graciee

New User
Visit site
thanks again for replys,

and when i said 'strap' her head down, it was really quite loose, just enough for her not to go around looking straight up to the clouds!!

and no i dont hack her out as she will not move unless i am walking next to her! instead i take her out in hand so she does get a change of scenery, i know it still isnt ideal but as we have a very busy main road surrounding the farm we're on think it is the safest way around it!

i have had her on oestrus for a week now and she has been very well behaved, also we have literallyin the last two weeks had everything checked (teeth, back, saddle) so that isnt the issue :) also, when she stops she doesnt rear cos im asking her forward, she just stops and goes straight up :/ i dont usually take away my stirrups, only on this occasion as really did think she was going to go over and didnt fancy the big beasty laying on me lol!

she was in a loose ring naffle with just a losenge in the middle but she is very strong so had to put something stronger in her so she actually paid a little attention to me when we were jumping (when she came to us last year she was in a swales ... very strong) have now changed back to snaffle although the other bit did fit properly, and had the same mouth piece she is just a pain in the bum with bits anyway!!

i have lots of lessons with various people depending on what im working on and they usually comment on my v. gd position so dont think its that and my reins r usually a bit long due to a pony i used to have, but this has also got better soooooooooooooooooo i dunno, think it is just napping and cramps, next time i will try to just sit there, other people have also suggested cracking an egg on her head? not really sure how people manage to ride with a raw egg in their hand really! we have inter-nations this weekend so hopefully the three days jumping will put her in a better mood for at home too :)

sorry for the long reply, but thank you for all of yours x