Rearing in general.

Illusion100

Visit site
I've just realised I've never actually owned a horse that hasn't reared on a few occasions, either on the ground, under saddle or both. There is an essay coming, so either get yourself comfy or hit the 'back' button! :D The below is of course just my perspective and please feel free to put your views across. :)

Mine have all done it and the main reason I've found/decided on is frustration, in one form/translation or another. Frustration for not getting on with things, waiting for another horse to catch up on a hack, not being 1st in a group, waiting in the XC start box, excitement being led when other horses are racing around loose in fields so frustrated they can't join in, not being allowed to avoid a situation where they need to answer a question and don't want to etc.

I also find it quite common that it is a learned behaviour horses use when trying to intimidate. Usually an effective way of avoiding getting on the box, being clipped, going over a coloured pole, into water etc. I can't count the number of 'naughty' horses that threaten to rear when they don't want to co-operate, people fairly shift out of their way and put the horse away again, horse learns a neat little trick. Problem is, it's a very dangerous party piece, one considered by the vast majority to be the most dangerous ability a horse can have.

I was once told when I was around 10/11 yrs old by someone who knew their stuff 'If a horse comes at you with the hinds, it wants to hurt you but if it comes at you with the fronts, it wants to kill you.' I can count on my fingers and toes the number of times that horses have deliberately tried to do me some serious damage and to be quite honest the fronts and hinds can be as lethal as each other in my experience, but having a horse come directly at you with the fronts is without doubt much more intimidating.

Anyway, the point he was making is that in general, the hinds are used in defence and the fronts (and teeth) are used to attack. This obviously makes sense as when stallions and most male mammals (afaik) fight each other, they do so head on as they get an optimal view of their opponent and can aim their attack to inflict the most damage, fighting is hard work after all so it is vital to cause maximum injury while using minimal energy. Yet, we are informed that a horse makes itself vunerable by exposing it's belly while rearing. The fleshy belly is a large and easy target, therefore when working with a rearer a well timed strike to the belly will force this 'instinct' to kick in and so prevent further rearing. I don't buy that at all.

Watch how big cats/wolves etc hunt their quarry. They chase it, they don't confront it. The hindquarters and back are targeted to initially slow down the prey due to inflicting damage to 'the engine', the major muscle groups providing their 'food' with forward propulsion, plus the chances of it getting a well aimed kick in at a predator behind them are low due to the preys range of vision combined with the complication of continuing to try and run away. If the prey freely manages to turn and face it's attackers, it completely changes things. The predators back off. Their prey can see them now and strike back with accuracy. The predators know this. To get the kill they must utilise teamwork with some distracting the prey from the front to gradually exhaust it and allow blood loss to do it's thing while the rest attack from behind when the time is right.

Therefore logically a horse would be instinctively far more wary about something behind it, or on top of it, which explains backing preparation etc quite easily. Rarely have I found a horse to be panicked about having it's belly touched in comparison, if at all. It just has no real reason to as that's not/ever has been the initial target of predators.

Take dogs and cats for example, when dogs are being submissive they expose their belly and when cats feel confident with you they do the same. I truly believe most mammals (including us) are 'hard wired' to know that the belly is a vunerable area in general in the same way we instinctively know our eyes are vunerable, so if a trainer manages to slap a horse in the gut when it's rearing, I doubt the horse responds with any ancestoral instinct that the rest wouldn't if we got a slap there too, as in 'Oooof, I didn't see that one coming and I didn't like it!'.

So why would a horse rear if it makes it vunerable? Well, I don't think it does as that makes no sense as rearing is a generally aggressive act BUT not every horse that rears is being aggressive. So then why do horses use a primarily aggressive strategy with no intention to attack but instead are using it as evasion?

Well, most learn to rear because they want to get away from the situation they are in and when they do, it generally works. Although fear, for instance, might drive them to rear in the first place, they quickly click that rearing intimidates, getting us to back off, remove pressure and ultimately give the horse the response it wanted. Let's face it when they are on their back legs they're pretty big and this is a tactic used by thousands of species, when threatened make yourself look larger than you are. Not only can it put off a would be attacker but it can also defeat an opponent/potential rival without a fight. The bigger you can make yourself look the less likely someone is going to challenge you, pretty simple really. To add another string to the rearing bow, some just realise they they can fling puny humans completely off the end of the rope with a well timed manouvere, why obey such a weak creature if I don't have to, I'd rather do something else! There is neither fear nor malice in the horses action, just indifference when it boils down to it.

To complicate things further, rearing can be caused by pain. Although we have numerous reasons why any horse can rear, even just sheer exuberance (!), pain is always a potential factor. Even if pain is ruled out/eliminated or managed effectively there is always the possibility of learned pain response/memory to contend with thereafter.

All in all there are lots of reasons why a horse can rear just on the ground and under saddle isn't really any different. Again they can quickly learn that rearing gets them the response they want, whether it be the rider getting off, being returned to the field, being allowed to go first etc.

So this is the problem, if a horse rears where do you start? What is the reason or is a combination of a few or many of them? What if it was a complete one off? What if the Vet misses something or follows a course of action/treatment that may not be effective? What if the Pro trainer needs (costly) months to work on the horse or worse is out of their depth? What if they horse knows who it can push it's luck with, returns home and rears again the very next day? What if that's the rear that kills someone?

Herein lays the complexity of dealing with rearers. Is it really worth it, the time, money, patience? There are worse fates for a horse that displays a potentially lethal trait than a bullet after all. Yet on the other hand, all it may take is for a handler/rider to actually listen to the horse, or simply some physio subsequently allowing it to go on to enjoy a happy life in a loving home? Is each case unique or is there always an inevitable pattern?

I believe there is no easy answer. I also appreciate your thoughts on the matter? :)

EQUIDAE

Visit site
Horseriding is supposed to be fun - why waste time on a horse that makes it a miserable experience. I would also never have a biter/kicker or rude horse for the same reason

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
I have dealt with a few rearers professionally and at home.

TBH I can have the bejesus scared out of me by horses who "do" very little wrong at all, there is a certain "feel" to a horse in pain. I have been to a few "confidence clients" and when I get there I have a sit, and realised that the horse is in pain, and is doing its very best. I had one horse where I was happy to ride the horse on the right rein, but on the left rein the poor horse was doing its utmost not to tip me off in a spectacular fashion due to pain. Vet referral confirmed an issue.

One horse was a sweet cob, and he was FAB until a new saddle arrived, and then he outwardly just seemed a bit cross and choppy, but when I had a sit he was screaming for me to get off. The saddle was swapped for the old one, and all was well. He would not have reared or bucked, but that pain feeling is so offputting, it actually scares me.

The ones that rear from pain are IMO the ones who are most dangerous, and of course should not be ridden in that state. Bucking from pain is equally as dangerous IMO, as they will do it to your destruction!

One horse I rode for someone else was what a poster on another thread called a "professional rearer." It had a history, and went wayyyyy up, but was very balanced. I was really stupid one time with that one, it had been up there for 20 minutes, putting down only rarely, and I was fed up of being taken "hostage" so leaned back and to the side, and pulled, to unbalance the horse, not to pull it over backwards, but to encourage him back down, whilst being prepared to bail out to the other side. I don't know what I was thinking, other than I was fed up of being up high there. Poor horse was astonished, whipped round to land on its feet, and although it did rear with other people, it never did it with me again. It was 20 odd years ago, I have learned better and would not do THAT again. The ignorance of youth!

Jay Man reared before and when I first got him, but I liked him and bought him. He reared a lot, he was a shut down horse, and when not allowed to shut down he would "bounce" up and down with his front legs, higher and higher bounces. For that I just held the neck strap and left him to it. He soon realised that I was not going to react at all, and whenever he stopped I would draw breath (as a reward for stopping!) then quietly repeat the request. He did a fit once on the school, once out hacking, when excited in the open, a few times when excited in the collecting ring, and really more or less quit it. He had had a few excitement re-emergences, but nothing like his previous behaviour.

Some horses have indeed learned rearing when they would just "rather not" usually through a rider backing off through not being confident to say "YES you will." In those cases I think the bending round to keep feet going forward can help.

My view is that with bucking, bolting (not just being strong) and rearing, if it is through pain it is very dangerous, and I would not ride (obviously). I would never recommend anyone ride these horses, as I would not forgive myself if they were hurt. The vet should be called, and if seat of pain cannot be found then rest, retire or PTS is the order of the day.

For training issues, if the owner is not able to distinguish if it is high spirits, lack of education, or pain, then they should not ride the horse. Most young horses will have a buck, a pop up if held too tightly when excited, or be strong, hence young horses are not for inexperienced riders.

Other than a young horse (or indeed older one) showing excitement, then, once a horse has a "habit" then IMO they are never going to be true "everyone's ride" type horses. Once they have had a habit then I, for one, would always declare it. Jay is highly unlikely to ever leave my care, even though I did not find him dangerous. I would just not forgive myself if someone got hurt.

ETA- I am older and wiser now, and agree with EQUIDAE - it is supposed to be fun, and I would not intentionally take on an issue any more!!!!!

Last edited:

FlyingCircus

Visit site
Mine has gone up with me under saddle twice since I've owned him. First 1 being my fault entirely, he was scared and I pressured him too forcefully (gave him a kick, he's very sensitive!) and up he went. Second was him being impatient/anxious waiting behind other people to cross a small bridge.

Both of these times were within a year or so of owning him, when I was still getting to know him. He hasn't gone up since, because I've learnt that is his reaction to anxiety and being forced. Because I know this, I'm able to difuse the situation before it ever gets to that stage.

For example, he doesn't like going into water initially and the first time needs to be coaxed. If I aim him straight at it and kick when he baulks, he'd go up. Instead, I work next to the water for a bit and then steadily get closer to it, give him chance to have a look and reassure him. By doing this, I've taken away the reason he went up - excessive pressure. As for the impatience/anxiety, he still has to go behind on hacks, I don't care if he doesn't like it. However, instead of just sitting and waiting for my friends to go first, I make sure I keep him engaged asking him lots of different questions so he doesn't get chance to act silly and impatient.

Llanali

Visit site
I don't feel too uncomfortable with something that bounces and gets light in front. Proper standing up is threatening and a big no from me.

I have always said, and I stand by, that if a horse intentionally flips itself, it is never to be ridden again and will meet its maker. If they don't have self preservation, they certainly don't have rider preservation. Similarly, if a horse tipped over accidentally, and then did it a second time, I would never see it ridden again. If he horse hasn't sufficiently frightened itself the first time, and does it again, that's a no from me I'm afraid.

I agree, most bunny hopping is done from frustration, either lack of understanding the question or stroppy because the question isn't what he wanted to be asked.

The threatening version is terrifying and not genuine, so I'm not interested in that. It's my hobby, I'm not getting into a fight over it!

FfionWinnie

Visit site
Really depends. I've rehabbed a lot of napping rearers and once the napping was cured the rearing went too. A without warning/reason rearer there's no point in my opinion.

paddi22

Visit site
i've had to ride a few rearers in the last few years. i suppose it's a case of drilling down to figure out what the issue is and what best reaction is?

I have a few:
• One was pain based (would flip) - vet in to sort, was kissing spine
• One couldn't handle stress and would just go up - retrained with a super NH guy to teach it a new behaviour (in his case bending his head round to my knee) which he does in stressful situation
• little chancy cob, would just go up cause it learnt it would get its way, would just bunny hop off ground and was very balanced - smack between ears whenever it went to go up
• rear and plunger tantrum ISH - does it in start boxes etc. Only goes up half way so I just put up with it as its a talented horse and just wants to go.

All are completely different and all managed in different ways. Rearing (apart from the unbalanced ones) don't really bother me a huge amount. To be honest I prefer it to some of the sneaky horses you see dropping a shoulder and slamming riders into jumps etc!

Kylara

Visit site
I tend to prefer broncos to rearers but have dealt with both. Most recently rebacked a "kids" pony that hated kids and had learned that a small rear would get small child to get off. Stopped being ridden but drives beautifully and needed work under saddle so rebacked it. Super intelligent pony and took about a week to crack. Just had to sit there while it went up and down (not very high) and got off as soon as we walked forwards a few strides. Quickly learned that I, unlike a small child (though similar in size ;) ), would not get off. She does it very very occasionally in harness but it is nearly always when she is tired and frustrated and finds it difficult, but I could count those times on one hand. Her sister however perfected the levade in harness last year as a pair for no reason other than impatience when stood and is the sort of mare that loses the plot a bit when wound up and does similar - but only a foot off the ground and easily explained.

I had a micro rearer in the xc start box and quite a few of our mounted games ponies over the years used to rear and launch out of the box. All due to excitement.

Anything that goes fully up is not enjoyable and whilst I don't mind on a pony as not far to bail or big enough to pull down I don't really like reschooling rearers. I'm small and generally unless there are obvious underlying problems (back, saddle, naps) I will turn down the work. Small rears don't really bother me as most are frustration, excitement or mild evasions. I've always had good results with ignore and kick on (with the occasional tip forward and pull tiny pony down as can reach the head easily if goes up too high - more because I don't want my weight to tip them over!).

I much prefer broncing but my first pony loved doing that (learned behaviour after poor saddle fit and intense dislike of multiple riders who would not get back on) so had lots of practice. Incidentally he once spent a week rearing in hand with our chief instructor who insisted on manhandling him across a road at start of one camp which tipped pony's dislike over to hatred and up he went. Chief instructor insisted upon leading him over every day with the same result. Not a problem when I led him back and never done it since, so put it down to an intense dislike/fear of instructor and being manhandled.

Kezzabell2

Visit site
SO I consider my horse to be a rearer

I bought him as an 18 month old, I got talked into using a rope halter and soon after using that I was leading him and my old girl in and their buddy was galloping around the field, the next thing I knew, he'd gone up and caught my back on the way back down. We then spent the next year where he would rear every time I got him in! got so bad at one point that he smacked me in the face with his front foot! had to get the farrier to trim in the field!

I then moved yards and he almost 100% stopped rearing! until he was almost 4 and I started working him! he reared up and then had a paddy and tried to chuck himself on the floor!

so I sent him away to be backed, in march 14, convinced he'd rear, he didn't, not even in had! had a great summer, then he started planting! I was having a lesson in sept 14 and he reared with me on him, for the first time, almost vertical. my instructor made me carry on, he did it twice more, in the same place! I decided to get rid of him! but then felt guilty and got the vet to check him over. Turned out he was lame, front right, back left! I had 3 riding instructors over the summer and not one of them had noticed, I didn't notice!

So he went off and had a work up at the vets and was treated with steroids! was on box rest for 2 weeks, then had to start walking in hand, plus another 4 weeks box rest! walking in hand was getting dangerous, I had to get all of the horses in and then I was lucky if he only reared once in the 10 mins! started letting him graze in hand, more rearing! ended up having to move yards to one with a walked.

by the time he'd finished box rest, it was Jan 15, and needless to say I wasn't keen to ride him! got him lunging, lots of rearing! then in Feb 15 the guy that backed him came to ride him! he didn't rear, yay! so after a few sessions I started riding! was going well! one day I was hacking trotting and bang, up he went! with no warning! got a new instructor who started riding him and he went well until July 15. then he went lame again! so off he went to have his hocks fused, shoes on his front feet were changed, then we had more lameness issues until Sept 15, so off came the shoes! he's been much better, much less rear-ey but now he knows if he rears he gets away with not being made to work! I started school again toward xmas 15 and he started rearing, so I stopped schooling and focused on hacking! he's been hacking well since!

and about 2 months ago, I started school again, only once a week, with spurs this time! as soon as he ignored my leg I put the spurs on, bang, up he went, my friend made me us them again, up he went again, both big! so 3rd time with the spurs he gave him and went on! he still doesn't like the spurs but his reactions are getting much smaller, more like face pulling! it tends to take him 10 mins to get over himself, then he will start work really nicely!

He's not reared out hacking for ages until last night, and even then it wasn't big! we were hacking with a friend, having a trot behind and he decided he wanted to canter, on the road (he's never done this) so I tried to slow him down as he was getting up his friends ar se and at that point he sprung off his front feet! I must admit I thought I was coming off as I lost my stirrup, but managed to recover it quickly1

So as you can see he doesn't it for the following reasons

* pain
* bad attitude - wanting to get his own way
* competition

I do feel however, that he isn't doing it to get me off, he's always just done it to try and warn me!

JDee

Visit site
Mostly rearing is a form of evasion, resistance, napping. You'll hear people say to keep the horse moving forwards because a moving horse can't rear but when the rearing is a result of the horse refusing to move forwards as in napping then its nigh on impossible to get it to do that
When I've had horses that reared because they didn't want to go from A to B I usually found that bringing their head around towards my leg and making them go round and round in tight circles before they got a chance to get 'light' in front was the best way to defuse the situation.
Figuring out why they don't want to work is the best long term solution

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
My chestnut mare will rear. I would put it in the 'napping rearing' category (good phrase FW :)) as she only does it if there is something ahead that she doesn't like and she's ridden on strongly and/or whacked with a whip behind the leg. It's almost as if the route forwards is blocked off (in her mind), but she's told that she has to go, so she goes up as she feels it's the only option. If you deal with her napping in a less forceful way, she won't rear. I wouldn't swap or sell that horse for anything, so having a horse that *has* reared (even several times) under saddle doesn't automatically write if off as a riding horse or make riding them 'not fun', it really does depend on the individual circumstances.

Then we get to my grey. Now she was a terrible evasive rearer for a bit when she was a yearling. Leading her anywhere was nigh on impossible until the 'rearing in-hand isn't acceptable' training sank in. So far no rearing under saddle and she hasn't reared in-hand for years.

My lovely TB that I was given as a nanny for youngstock loved rearing. It's one of the main reasons that she was retired from ridden work before I had her. I was told that as a foal she would often walk on her hind legs, loose, following her dam and could do a lap of the yard like that (I get the impression that they tested how long she could keep it up). Even in her twenties her balance was amazing, she could stand right up and walk and turn, but then she practiced a lot. I don't believe that she ever went over backwards when she was ridden (she raced) but she wore herself out before the races started, so she never performed to her full potential. She was a wonderful horse who I miss like crazy, the only miserable moment I had with her was when she had to be PTS due to colic.

Boulty

Visit site
Mine will rear if what he feels is too much pressure is put on him to do something he does not want to do / would rather not do / is scared or anxious about doing. He used to refuse to hack on his own and would rear at the yard gate or if something scared him and he didn't want to walk past and he'd been prevented from spinning around or going backwards. I used to do a lot of jumping on and off to avoid triggering planting and rearing. He very rarely does it as a nappy thing now apart from occasional mini-rears. I have also on a couple of occasions had him do it when he is of the opinion he is being blocked from going forwards (he's normally correct).

On the ground he rears when trying to take bloods or give IV sedation and he did used to do it when being clipped but this is a work in progress right now and also if I try to mess about with his ears (he can be quite ear shy in certain situations, mainly when I want to go near the inside of them when the midges have had their way with him.

He is always very balanced and controlled when he does it and generally doesn't go very high (he's only 14.3...) and there is always a very obvious trigger and the instant you take the pressure off he stops threatening. (On the ground is a tad more tricky as we do NEED to do things like take bloods for his own good) I wouldn't really class him as dangerousas things stand as tbh it's something that happens ridden maybe a few times a year now I've worked out how to ride in a way he finds more acceptable and he always gives warning that he's getting unhappy with the way things are going. If someone really really pushed him and tried to have a fight with him rather than finding a different way of getting him to do what he's been asked to then I do think he would have the potential to be dangerous though.

Ahrena

Visit site
My old pony was a rearer. She always had it in her (I.e first sponsored ride I did on her she went up and Overbackwards in excitement). As a over confident teenager it didn't scare me to start with. Later on it became a form of napping and also if she was excited and couldn't be kept moving.

Once the napping started, we started investigating and it took about 2 years before we found the source despite loads of work ups ect. Once the problem was gone she was reschooled.

It never went though. The last time I sat on her she reared 3 times in a row, I jumped off and said enough. She was retired and when my circumstances changed a couple of years ago, I had her out to sleep.

I'm a freelance groom/rider now and I won't ride anything that rears.

pennyturner

Visit site
I've had 3 rearers. Only one bothered me a bit, as he went vertical quite regularly, and I never did get to the bottom of it. Not difficult to ride, and he was immensely balanced, so I didn't worry about him going over - but I sold him to a driving home in the end, as he obviously had 'issues' with being ridden.

One was a straightforward napper, which a bit of strong riding sorted out (with a bit of help from a standing martingale).

The other was a 6yo with confidence issues we had just broken. He was prone to panic when held back or asked to go forwards into water. Whilst a complete novice could sit his rears - he went up slowly like he was on hydraulics, and never more than 3/4 up - I'm happy that he's now confident and happy, so no longer feels the need.

I don't mind a rear, so long as the pony in question has a sense of self-preservation. A bit like the difference between strong horse and a bolter, I suppose.

LadyGascoyne

Visit site
In my opinion there are 'rearers' and rearers, just like there are 'bolters' and bolters.

You get the ones who rear/bolt out of fright. There are the ones who nap and evade where they don't want to play ball or the hot, tricky sorts who might be over-fed and under worked. Some who run on or go up out of discomfort or weakness and the inability to balance themselves. Some do it it avoid pressure if they are green and overwhelmed.

All of those things can probably be worked with, should you have the time and inclination, because all of those things have a cause that can be addressed. In all cases, the horse acts in its own interest, it may just be that our interests differ.

Then you get the ones who are sound, sweet and simple 99% and then something just flips them- when they just go vacant in the eye. Those are the really scary ones because you never see it coming. They lull you into a false sense of security and then, when they do snap, they act blindly and with absolutely no regard for their lives. If that happens even once, I will not get back on it.

Wimbles

Visit site
One of mine is a 'napping rearer'. He is basically a brat, it's usually just little hops in front but sometimes he does go right up but thankfully he is balanced and is very keen to look after himself and I do not feel in any imminent danger. He apparently learnt this behaviour in racing where he would go hardheartedly up the gallops, stop, rear, spin and go back home without his lad at a slow trot. He was not a popular ride on the yard and was always ridden in eye shields.

Last year he had improved dramatically but after some time off with his feet it's started to creep back in and when we were out hacking this week he was behind some of the other horses who happily went over a small metal grate across the path but Brian said no and started hopping. We had a growled conversation and he went over but I could feel that he was still resistant and when I went to turn to ask him to go back over it we had a rearing no! He would back over the grate but refused to actually turn so there were more conversations and eventually he was going over it both ways without a fuss. I'm sure everyone was a bit bored but this was what needed to happen. We had no other problems on the ride although I think that camp next week might be interesting!!

only_me

Visit site
not every horse rears out of baddness - the first time Billy reared was as a 4 year old (was actually quite small, just feels big because he is big!) because he wanted to continue and follow the rest of the hunt as he was having too much fun! Too much being the key word :p

He has never reared out of baddness or out of refusal to do something. Occasionally he will do some mini rears in the xc start box, but they are purely because he wants to get going & is excited. He's not a difficult horse to feel - happiness rolls off him in waves lol

He had his first proper canter/gallop in a year on monday this week - he knew from the get go even though we school regularly in the field and he's always relaxed. He read my excitement and he started to get excited, and once we were going he was incredibly happy & enjoying himself. Never bucked/reared etc. He was just having so much fun! People don't understand how I can "feel" him or read him, but with billy it really is easy to read/feel him.
But I've never been able to feel a horse so easily when riding/handling before, but he is probably the first horse I've really clicked with.

Damnation

Visit site
My last mare reared in hand out of fustration/temper and she was dominant. She learned very quickly that I was boss and it wasn't acceptable.

On the ground I am brave and will deal with almost any horse. In the saddle I am nervous so I would never entertain a rearer, its not my idea of fun. Current mare doesn't buck, rear, nap or spin ever. At all. Under saddle or in hand, and never has!

Last edited:

Annagain

Visit site
There are rearers and rearers. My old boy would rear frequently and it never bothered me. He never did it maliciously, never went too far and it never ever felt like he was going to go over it was always perfectly controlled. He only did it if he was being made to wait to do some thing he really wanted to do (jumping or games). He was sooooo excited he just couldn't contain himself. If he couldn't go forward he'd have to let the energy out and that meant going up. I would just laugh at him and try to keep him walking in a circle until he could GO!

My current boy has reared with me once and that felt very different. He's the most confident horse ever at home and will hack alone with no problems, but as soon as he goes anywhere in the trailer he turns into the world's most nappy horse and won't leave his mates. (this can be the horse at the trailer next door if he's alone - any port in a storm!) A friend and I were doing a Trec competition and after doing the orienteering phase as a pair, I then had to go off to do the obstacles alone. He didn't want to leave his mate at the start and what would normally be spinning and generally trying to get back to his mate developed into quite a big rear. It was pure petulance and "No, I don't want to". It felt nasty and uncontrolled and I knew I had to deal with it there and then or he'd do it again. I don't know where it came from but I gave him such an almighty couple of cracks with the whip accompanied by huge pony club kicks and a massive growl. I don't know who was more surprised at my inner b***h, him, me or the (generally fairly fluffy) other competitors! He shot off, completed the course perfectly and has never reared again. That one rear scared me more than 100 put together with my old boy. Hopefully my reaction made him realise he was never going to win by doing that.

Last edited:

Neversaydie

Undecided
Visit site
Being honest rearers I dont have a problem with, I've found that you can work through it with most horses. I've had those who have learned that rearing gets them or of the activity they don't want to do, so I just sit tight and eventually they do it, no options. A horse reading Inhand well I've always chased from the side, never from the front, I have given a few who have surprised me a rap on the muzzle then sidestepped and chased but confronting them from the front I've always known to be a lesson in how to get stomped.

I find a bolter needs a bullet more then a rearer but that's only IME not an all inclusive statement. Good Thread.