rearing youngster inhand

GingerTrotter

Visit site
Hi
I have a rising 3 year old warm blood who when lead out of his stable, even if he's only been in it for half an hour, rears, broncs, cow kicks when lead back out.

He does some inhand work without as much nonsense if don't straight away from the field. But usually needs a free canter round the school first so he can concentrate.

He is huge and this behaviour is not much fun. I've tried ignoring it. I've tried telling him off with my voice and body language, backing him up etc but he rears over my head so its a bit scary.
I've tried normal head collars, and a be nice pressure one which is more effective

Any idea how to stop this?
I was due to be backing him this year but of this carries on I'll be leaving him to grow up before I even think about sitting on him.
All other behaviour he is lovely!

Thanks for reading. X

Llanali

Visit site
Afraid I can't offer a solution but I will please ask you to put a bridle on, wear a hat and gloves and lead with a lunge line.

The pressure halter will only work if he has been taught to yield to it correctly. I hope someone else can be of more help :)

Deseado

Visit site
Rather than "leaving him to grow up" I would be planning to get to grips with his rude behaviour without delay and getting him working and backed ASAP. A chain over his nose and some pretty sharp lessons in minding his manners would seem to be in order before he hurts somebody or becomes an ungovernable mess.

Exploding Chestnuts

Visit site
Yep several remedies, it needs to be short sharp shock, when they start it you have to rap them with the lead rope, but he is now beyond this.
The bridle, the chain and the chiffney, but all need experienced handler as the reprimand must be timed well. Is there anyone local who breaks horses, they might come down and spend a few hours with him. Richard Maxwell or others may be local to you. He needs to learn respect, he will not grow out of it.

ossy

Visit site
Yip wouldn't be wanting to leave him longer either, I would bridle break at least straight away instead of considering alternative head collers and then maybe start some gentle long reining.

GingerTrotter

Visit site
Thanks all.
Boot camp required then. Ive not been able to bridle him as he broke his jaw this winter and knocked his teeth out... Not as bad as it sounds I promise!
His mouth has completely healed now and the adult teeth dropped into place bar one, so confident he can take a bit again.
Now the evenings are longer I shall get to grips with the little ****** ��

Kelpie

Visit site
I'm not for one minute suggesting this is behaviour you want to accept but is it worth just first trying to think through why he's doing this, if he is otherwise lovely behaviour-wise?

It would be useful to know what his routine is/ what you do with him.

Is there a specific trigger point that happens when you take him out of his stable (maybe a buddy gets led out first and he has to wait?)?

Does this behaviour really only occur when he comes out of the stable or does it also happen at other times?

I'm not sure I'd go heavy handed with a chiffney/ bridle on a horse that has broken his jaw not so long ago :( But there are plenty of other options along the NH halter type route to look at.

Exploding Chestnuts

Visit site
I would not be letting him off with anything, but I would also expect trouble with breaking, there is not one day he is unbroken, next week he is broken. I would send him to be broken or get a man in to help at this stage. If he gets away from you, and he will try, you are in trouble. If this is the first horse you have backed you will need experienced help, and perhaps man muscle, he is not going to make life easy for you.
The big thing with handling any youngster is to avoid a fight that he may win..
You can do a lot of good stuff, tacking up and so on, but that is pointless if he won't do the basic behaviour.
Do not let him free canter every time he goes in to the arena, he needs to know, when tack is on he is working. So be prepared, this is probably your first battle, and you must win it.
Long reining can be done at almost any age and he is strong enough to back and then turn away to mature, the question is can he cope with being backed rather than phsically, obviously a good light rider is an asset.

Last edited:
Visit site
Unfortunately this is now learned behaviour, so he may have to have a couple of 'naughty step' lessons, but a bridle even with a rubber snaffle, plus a lunge line so you can get out of the way if you have to, would help. Once you've made up your mind you just have to go through with it. Think SuperNanny!
if you can have a little help from an experienced person just to get through this stage, it really would help, but beware of people who don't really know what they're doing as it will only make things worse.
I have a smashed hand, so cannot battle with my youngsters. They go into a bridle as yearlings, straight rubber snaffle, and as soon as it's on they know it's behave time, and touch wood I don't have a lot of problems. (Will be seen water skiing down the field later I expect, having said that!)
Good luck, and wear your hat and gloves, but have help if you can to start.

Joyous70

Visit site
Agree with the other posters who have said get him working ASAP, and get someone in to help you, im speaking from experience. My youngster was like yours although not as big, but im only 5'1" so rearing, broncing cow kicking etc.. and my first youngster was all quite a frightening experience, mainly with her it was just excitement at going out or being unsure about being brought in away from the others in the neighbouring fields. She was backed at home by someone who came twice a week until the job was done, she was actually fairly easy to back, and has been an angel to ride and deal with ever since, she does every now and then have a "moment" when going out, ie will have a little buck, before getting to her paddock, but she no longer crowds me and will wait to have her headcollar off before belting off down the field.

good luck, and in the meantime wear your hat & gloves and possibly a body protector if you feel you need it, in fact i felt more confident when i wore my hat and gloves :)

ljohnsonsj

Visit site
Sounds like he is ready for some work! I have a big baby warmblood and i started bitting and long reining at just 3. It gave her a 'job' and something to focus on and she has been perfect to break :)

GemG

Visit site
Agree totally with above posters about giving him something to think about other than being in charge, which he sounds like he is!

Along with the tips mentioned I would be looking carefully at his behaviour around me. Does he respect my space, move over etc. moving away from me in th school then coming back when my body language indicates. He needs to respect you and look out for your body language, read it and act appropriately. Sounds like he has got away with being a goof too often and now thinks it's fun.

..not much fun for you though. Get some help and keep hard hat on, gloves etc to protect yourself if he is inclined to throw himself about.

Even my old boy needed reminding the other day about his manners pushing forward in the stable!