Reasonable or not? Staying in touch with former owners

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
I was browsing the horse ads for fun (as you do :)) and came across this ad https://www.preloved.co.uk/adverts/...eyword=arab&sectionId=2188&orderBy=mostRecent

The essential info is that the horse is being sold on sales livery by a former owner and it is stated that a '10* home a must for this super little horse where I and current owner must stay in touch with him.'

I don't know why, but this made me feel uncomfortable and I have had my gelding's breeder over to visit him in the past, so I'm not against staying in touch if it feels right. Maybe I just don't like it being demanded?

RoR_nut

Visit site
I agree the "Must stay in touch" is a little too forceful for my liking.
I have my mares breeders on facebook and they have been to visit so I'm not against the idea of old owners staying in touch, I would hope I would be able to stay in touch if I ever had to sell..........but I wouldn't insist on it!

LaurenBay

Visit site
It depends but how much involvement they wanted. If they simply wanted some pics emailed to them every now and then it wouldn't bother me at all. If they where non stop contacting me though I would not be happy. If you choose to sell a Horse then you give up the right to have anything to do with the Horse.

I have my Horses old owners on FB, they like the odd post and that's about it. I am happy with that.

skint1

Visit site
I have my horse's old owner on Facebook, in the first year that I had him she came up and rode him out with her friend (who is a fellow livery of mine and how I got the horse) and she does like photos etc but she doesn't ask after him that I know of, I guess she can see from Facebook that he's ok. I wouldn't mind if she did visit him, but I don't think I'd be comfortable with someone who was clingy about it

Goldenstar

Visit site
No I would not it’s just too complicated and also indicates that the owner might be difficult to deal with in terms of sale .
There many horses in the world for one to come to you with irritating baggage it needs to be exceptional .
I am in touch with G’s former owner but only in a fun way .

Denbob

Visit site
I'd feel very watched if both the first owner and the current owner who was selling asked to provide regular updates, and it does sort of suggest they maybe don't trust anyone with him? But I suppose it depends what they define as 'in contact' and I'm reading too much.

if they wanted a weekly newsletter with pictures (bit exaggerated but there are some oddballs out there) then absolutely not, but I'm Facebook friends with Denzel's last owner and she likes all my posts about him and that's as far as it goes - although I did update her when I was moving to a new county and if I was the type to send Christmas cards she'd probably get one with a nice picture of him as he's grown up so much. But I certainly wouldn't feel obligated to do any more than that and would be quite annoyed if she started asking any more of me.

SadKen

Visit site
Sounds high maintenance. From the wording of the ad, I would expect the current owners to want to exercise some level of control over my management of the horse "OMG what are you THINKING he has a 200g rug on in this weather NOT a 100g!" and general bitching to others about how you don't love the horse the way they did, because you treat it like... a horse.

I have absolutely no objection to the previous owners taking an interest in how a creature they love is doing. But insisting is wrong, and you give up all control when you sell. If you want to insist... put it on loan!

SEL

Visit site
I've got the mare's first owner (who bred her and hand reared her when dam died) on FB. There is obvious a strong emotional connection there after what they went through, but she's never ever interfered. I do wonder how she will react though if I have to call time due to these ongoing lameness issues and that is the main reason I would be cautious about someone insisting on wanting to stay in touch. I saw a friend get a huge amount of grief when she PTS due to arthritis because the old owner didn't see why the horse couldn't be a field pet.

Sussexbythesea

Visit site
It’s a silly thing to say really as you can’t make people stay in touch if they don’t want to.

I’m in touch with my new horse’s previous owner on FB and messenger but although she is lovely there I’m a little bit more circumspect about what I post. For example I changed his stable name as I didn’t like the one he had and when I posted using it she commented on had I changed it which was awkward. Also his teeth needed doing; he came with thrush and the saddle he came with didn’t fit. She messaged me to see how he was getting on and I said I’d mostly hacked as both and I needed a different saddle so we’re not doing hard work. He’s now in a wider fitting one that gives him much more room to move and the teeth have been done and foot balance is improving but I had to be quite tactful when she said that his saddle was checked every year and I made out the main reason was that’s it didn’t fit me which was only partly true.

ApolloStorm

Visit site
I've had nothing much good coming from previous owners! One was overbearing and wouldn't let me just enjoy my new horse- as she was still on the same yard- I ended up moving off to get away! Eventually he had to be PTS, I only informed her after the fact and out of courtesy so she didn't find out via facebook. I still got an earful.
Second horse previous owner seemed lovely, as was bought through the yard owner I never met her at the time of purchase, she contacted me a few months after and she was in the mares passport, She filled me in with all the information, and came and had a little ride of her on the leadrein ( she had had her up until 3yo and was not able to ride much). Later on she turned out to be a TOTAL NUTCASE, threatened me, saying I had stolen the horse and had never given permission for her to be sold, and that she was going to come and collect her. Etc, my YO was warned, and the yard luckily was secure and she never ended up showing. I then found out the horse was seized by YO whom id bought her off in lieu of livery, there was a signed paper trail of all of this and I was told that the old owner was a bit nuts. I just blocked the woman and moved on! With this mare I had to sell eventually :( and While I am in contact with new owners, I haven't been to see her since, but I have texted them once or twice to see how they are getting on and all is well so I am happy for them!
Current horse I have known in various homes for the past 5 years, the most recent who i got him off is lovely, she likes little updates, the second couldn't give a tiny rats rear, and the third is quite bitter that I never bought him off her, and how I'm doing things with the horse they couldn't do, so I get the odd snarky facebook comment but I just ignore them.
In this case, being told I "must" stay in touch would put me right off! If I really liked the horse I would go look and see what they mean and if they're going to be interfering Id buy it and then only keep as much contact as *I* wanted, odd text etc. if it really wa the horse I wanted!

HappyHollyDays

Slave to 2 cats and 2 ponies
Visit site
I bought B from a lovely family, he was their sons PC pony and it was a sad sale so I said I would stay in touch just to let them know how he was getting on. I have done so and it's usually a photo and a few lines but as time goes on I do it less and less. They didn't ask me to do it but there were lots of tears and I wanted them to know he was being well cared for. If they did contact me at any time it wouldn't worry me at all.

Alibear

Visit site
Different scenario entirely but I purchased mine from a stud and training barn, I kept her there for a year whilst we got to know each others and the agreement was, if you get into trouble put her on the trailer and bring her back. She's currently gone back once every 6 months for some minor help and we're there evert 2 weeks over the show season for shows clinics and lessons. They're stuck with us!! This is all working out really well, best way I've purchased so far.

SOS

Visit site
I recently bought a horse and got asked by the seller (a dealer) whether the owner could have my number or FB to keep in touch. I declined the Facebook but said they were free to contact me on my mobile by text. Haven’t heard from them yet.

I was going to say no, but realised it can’t really cause any harm as if they bombarded me I would block them. Also someone pointed out them wanting to stay in touch means they obviously trust/like the horse and were hopefully genuine!

That ad however would worry me a little.

pansymouse

Visit site
If I really liked the horse I would agree and then not do it; once you've paid for it the horse is yours and you can do as you see fit with it. They can't enforce an agreement stay in contact.

Vodkagirly

Visit site
If I was interested in the horse, I wouldn't let the owners wanting to stay in touch put me off. I would hope that it is more likely to be an honest sale.
I think I would be more concerned if they didn't care where the horse was going.

Rosiejazzandpia

Visit site
It would put me off, I wouldn't want to be watched by the old owner whole trying to enjoy a new horse.
I have my horses old owner on Facebook. I messaged her a few times when I first got her to update her and I post photos most days which she likes and occasionally comments on. She never bombards me with messages or anything thankfully, though if she did I would block and move on as buying a horse and getting to know it is hard enough without nutty old owners

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
Seems to me like the "previous owners" needed to have searched their hearts BEFORE offering this horse for sale!

If they'd wanted to "keep in touch", then why on earth didn't they loan the horse out so that they could do so?

But perhaps (my cynical little brain thinks this anyway) the prospect of a bit of cash in someone's pocket from selling the horse far outweighed any perceived benefits from putting it out on loan where they could have continued access to it and be able to visit it and hug it and kiss it whenever they wanted?

Legally, once something is sold, it is sold! End of. Previous owners would have absolutely no legal rights whatsoever to have any access to the horse. New owner would have every right to tell them to trot on if they felt so disposed ........

sport horse

Visit site
If you don't want to keep in touch with the old owners then don't go and see the horse! They have been open in their advert, you do not like what they are asking - leave it alone. You would be very wrong to buy the horse and then say you did not want them to keep in touch.

Berpisc

Visit site
Seems to me like the "previous owners" needed to have searched their hearts BEFORE offering this horse for sale!

If they'd wanted to "keep in touch", then why on earth didn't they loan the horse out so that they could do so?

But perhaps (my cynical little brain thinks this anyway) the prospect of a bit of cash in someone's pocket from selling the horse far outweighed any perceived benefits from putting it out on loan where they could have continued access to it and be able to visit it and hug it and kiss it whenever they wanted?

Legally, once something is sold, it is sold! End of. Previous owners would have absolutely no legal rights whatsoever to have any access to the horse. New owner would have every right to tell them to trot on if they felt so disposed ........
You beat me to it!

FrecklesTheCat

Visit site
He's 6 and he's been sold for once for "personal circumstances" and once for "current circumstances" so far. Thats a lot of bad luck for a youngster. I'd be worried if I bought him my circumstances would change!

TheresaW

www.justgiving.com
I’m still in touch with Ollie’s previous owner, keep hoping she’ll have him back, but no such luck 😂

I’ve never sold a horse, but I think if I did, I’d like to see pics on fb or something, and if I knew Doll and Mac’s previous owners, I’d have been happy to send them updates now and then.

tatty_v

Visit site
I’m of a similar mind to Vodkagirly - when I bought my boy the sellers asked to stay in touch via Facebook and also mentioned that his previous owner would like to as well if I didn’t mind. We’ve actually managed to track down all but one of his previous owners now and it’s been great finding out his history. They have all been really supportive and helpful - for example, I was able to ask them what he was like out hunting/on a sponsored ride before finding out for myself! In turn I think they are happy seeing how well he is doing. So no complaints here, but perhaps that’s because I wasn’t forced into it and they are all genuinely lovely people.

Annagain

Visit site
M's breeder tracked us down when he was 19. She'd been forced to sell him when he was 3, lost track of him as a 5 year old and had been trying to find him ever since. I was a bit wary as it sounded a bit bunny boiler-ish that she'd never given up but it's been fine. She came to visit us when she first found us and we've let her know when we've been to the odd competition that's local to her and she's come along - which now that he's doing veteran showing has a nice completeness to it. It's been really nice and not too demanding at all. She's just thrilled he's with people who adore him and is happy to know, mostly from afar, how he's doing.