Reasons to use a Pelham and opinions please -

oxo

Visit site
Hi there,

We are on the lookout for a steed for my 16 yr old daughter and have been asking about a few horse that are ridden in a pelham when out and about, in order to have that bit more control rather than just a snaffle. As we are looking at horses/ ponies - what is your opinion on the need/ use of them? It would seem to be a bit of a hassle to have to change out the bit depending on what you are doing? but opinions on this would be welcome:)
thanks!

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
I think it says as much about the riders' preference as it does about the horse.

If I were trying one I would school in a snaffle, and also prefer to take the horse for a canter in an open space to see how much control there was. If the rider preferred the pelham out ond about then that would not bother me, as long as when I hacked out I felt OK.

A Pelham can be used to cover schooling issues (as in horse does not truly accept the bit and carry it forwards, softly), and many horses go very happily in one. They do tend to round the horse, so many times the horse is over bent and evading the contact by dropping it.

oxo

Visit site
I think it says as much about the riders' preference as it does about the horse.

If I were trying one I would school in a snaffle, and also prefer to take the horse for a canter in an open space to see how much control there was. If the rider preferred the pelham out ond about then that would not bother me, as long as when I hacked out I felt OK.

A Pelham can be used to cover schooling issues (as in horse does not truly accept the bit and carry it forwards, softly), and many horses go very happily in one. They do tend to round the horse, so many times the horse is over bent and evading the contact by dropping it.

Thank Red-1,

so are you saying if you felt Okay out in the snaffle it would not be an issue if another rider just preferred to use a pelham, but if it couldn't be ridden out in open spaces without one that would be a different matter?

My daughter has tried a few horses that didn't seem to have any brakes when jumping in arena and said horse also had to have a pelham when out on hacks etc. One we are looking at right now is said to ride in a snaffle but they either need it for jumping in areaa or hacking ( can't remember now!) but it gets fast when jumping in arena... I guess for me if I hear a horse needs a pelham it may not be what we are looking for as a next horse for my daughter who has ridden 3 years, but still a lot to learn, definitely not a beginner but still more to learn. hence my question when asking about a horse if it has to be ridden in a pelham is that sometimes an idicator that it is strong? thanks!

iconique

Visit site
A bit is only as strong as the hands it is in!
A Pelham with a low port can sometimes suit a horses mouth better than a snaffle, but we are conditioned that a single jointed snaffle is the softest bit? Then we are told about the nutcracker action?
I also see Dutch gags as standard with one rein, particularly in riding schools.
Anyway my point is, it's about whether the horse goes well where and when it needs to, whether the bit used meets the rules if competing and whether the rider can use it properly! And some horses IMO will know when a bit means a different job?
Anyway it's each to their own and schooling in the right way can influence a lot! Only you will know your daughters capabilities and I would say if this matches the horse and where you really need it, that the horse can use a snaffle, then it might be worth not writing off!

serena2005

Visit site
It is only my personal opinion, but I ride all my horses in snaffles with lozenge.
I know my horses and am confident I can control them well enough in the tack I put them in.

People have their reasons for putting horses in stronger bits which is fair enough but don't rule out a horse because of the bit it's in, with the right schooling a softer bit could be used.

Sometimes it's nice knowing you have a bit of extra control if you need it.

At the moment I ride a very big Irish draught, who's in a snaffle with a copper peanut, and is fine in that, but occasionally he needs a bit of a lift as he tends to plough in the ground, so it's just not a case of a strong horse but also to correct carriage, it difficult mid xc course to lift with a snaffle

Mooseontheloose

Visit site
Some horses go very happily in a pelham, for more busy work, eg hunting or cross country. I would prefer a pelham to a three ring gag, which I think is a very strong bit and fixes the horse at the poll. It certainly wouldn't put me off going to look at a horse if it was ridden in a pelham at times.

Enfys

Visit site
Wouldn't bother me at all.

I have a policy of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it"

If the horse goes as you like in a Pelham, and he seems happy in it, then go for it.

I would simply ride in double reins on top rein only until the curb rein was needed.

If you buy then you have time to try other bits as you require until you find something that works for you all.

Ella19

Visit site
No wouldn't bother me. If the horse is schooled in a pelham I would have concerns not only for control and schooling reasons but also because the likelihood if being able to do dressage is slim. Jumping and hacking in a pelham in my eyes is fine.

Orca

Visit site
One of my teen horses arrived in an American gag (severe gag action) and was soon in a happy mouth snaffle for every discipline and team chasing too. So, just because it arrived in a strong bit, doesn't necessarily mean it can't be schooled into a softer one. My first cob was in a Pelham (I was eight) and as bits go, I don't think they are too bad, although roundings meant that it was fairly mild in action. Essentially, a current Pelham mouth wouldn't put me off at all ��.

Emby

Visit site
I ride my sec D mare in a snaffle in the school and a Pelham to hack out. She is the sort of horse that gets her confidence from her rider.
I have confidence issues on occasions. Whether the Pelham gives me better brakes or not is open to question, but I definitely feel more confident when using it.
If something upsets her whilst we are out and she is not feeling that I am relaxed and happy about the situation - she will take charge. If I am ok she definitely listens better to me. Just 'knowing' I have brakes if If I need them, makes all the difference to me sometimes.

LouisCat

Visit site
Our TB can be hacked out in a snaffle. Mum always rides him in this and is happy. I always ride him in a pelham. I tend to do a lot of fast work and I hate having to haul a horse around to pull up hence having a slightly stronger bit that I only have to tweak at and he stops. Horses for courses!