Reassure me fellow commuters...

Sophstar

Visit site
I am currently in the process of saving for a new horse having lost my pony at Christmas and have just received my posting through for a new job.

I shall for the first time be becoming a commuter with an hour's commute to London and a 20 min walk to and from the station and then another into the office everyday. To have a horse at any local yard will mean driving there and home again before walking to the train station...

It wasn't the posting I wanted at all but the location offers a lot of promotion opportunities which is exciting, however I'm now facing how on earth I would ever fit a horse in before and then again after a very long day of working!

How on earth do fellow commuters keep their horses? My initial excitement of the job offer is being lost to 'oh god I can't manage a horse as well!'

Luci07

Visit site
Its doable (and I have done it) and you just "get into" the zone but I would seriously look at part or 5 day livery. This way you can fit the work in for your horse, not kill yourself and have a day off in the week. If it is making things a little tight you could look at a sharer once you are settled with the job and horse. Of course as we are shortly (!) heading into summer, you could have a much easier life anyway and then have the rest of the year to get ready for winter. There is absolutely nothing fun about not being able to get upto a yard after 7 to ride a horse when you are the only one left there but if you have a goal its fine. Even better if you have some other like minded suckers to see when you get there!

catembi

Visit site
Mine live at home. I commute 4 days a week and ride every day. You just have to get into the habit of it and resist being lazy!

T x

sw4

Visit site
I get up at 5..muck out and turn out at 6-6- 6-30 and on the train by 7-45..pay someone to bring in pm and im ususlly home by 6-30 to 7..blooming long day but ive done it for years..i figure if i want to spend it i have to earn it!!..good luck..i did have 2 horsez for 25 years but just the one now..dont think i could go back to 2 again!!

SallyBatty

Visit site
Join the club. That's why I have my 2 on part livery. I have an hour and a half commute each way from door to door using 2 underground trains, a mainline train and my car. And that is if the public transport is all on time. Any slight delay to one part of that journey can put that commuting time right out of the window. And then, of course, there are the times I have to work late. I really couldn't do it if I was on DIY. I also have to be somewhere that has a floodlit school so that I can ride in the evenings when its dark which by the time I get there is for at least 6 months of the year.

Bernster

Visit site
Do able but like others have said far easier if you have a full or 5 day livery arrangement. Not cheap but I couldn't manage it otherwise. If your hours are ok it's manageable. Long days and a bit grim in the winter so a school with lights also v important. Plenty of people do it and there's lots of yards in the surrounding area.

I'd try and get something that's on the way or close to either home or work rather than another long commute.

FinkleyAlex

Visit site
It's doable but you have to be willing to compromise on the rest of your life. I'm a trainee solicitor and work long hours in the city. I have a 50/60 minute commute both ways (luckily my home and office are a quick walk from each station). For example today I will be home at 7.45pm, I then get to my yard (a ten minute drive) and sort my DIY horse out (I pay someone to turn him out and bring him in everyday - I leave him a big haynet). I usually get home between 6.30-7.30pm and theoretically do have time to exercise him but I'm usually too knackered so I save that for weekends (in winter anyway). I also have a second horse but he is on full livery and retired so I see him at weekends only! If you can afford it I'd go for part livery so you get more riding time. I can't afford two on livery at the moment but as soon as I can then my DIY horse will be going straight onto livery so I can ride more!

junglefairy

Visit site
I have a similar commute to the one you describe, tbh it's pretty grim... My horse is on full grass livery which means checked in the morning but I need to feed most nights (they'll feed for an extra charge). The most difficult thing for me is managing the horse and my workload (c.50 - 60 hour weeks).

Something which makes a massive difference is if you can work from home one or two days a week, and/or do flexi hours on those days meaning you have more time to ride.

Leo Walker

Visit site
Mines on full livery. When I worked out what it cost for me for DIY and services I was actually better off on full livery. But I would never ever consider trying to cope on DIY with a commute like that. I'm just not that dedicated :lol:

electric_circus

Visit site
Do-able. But grim. I had mine on my own land for 2 years doing this and it was pretty excruciating. In the winter, 5.30am turning out, then going to bring in and muck out in the dark at 7/8pm after getting home. Put them on livery for this winter and it has been a total game changer. If I'm having a busy/long day I can just go and ride under the floodlights and know that they have been well looked-after; I have enjoyed having my horses this winter instead of just enduring it! I think assisted DIY would be the minimum to commute so far and get any pleasure out of it.

Ceriann

Visit site
I used to work serious hours and had mine in full livery initially and then at home. I only rode one but it was v hard work when I had them at home and it was riding time that suffered the most. If you can afford it go for full livery, at least during the week. It will take the pressure off you as you'll know the basic needs are covered. I'm in a different job now (and a different home) but I'm still working 5 full days a week and have a 45 minute commute each way. With such terrible weather I've put mine in full livery for 2/3 months - new home means we currently have no facilities so was getting grim - i go up twice in the week and then at weekends. They're both happy, well cared for which means I'm happy.

Stockers

Visit site
I worked in the City then Mayfair for 15 years and had to have my horses in full livery. I couldn't have done it on DIY. I often entertained clients and travelled for work though. I have a one hour each way road commute these days and have still opted for Full livery otherwise I wouldn't ride this time of year. I wear cords to work on riding days, chuck ion a blouson jacket, Half chaps and paddock boots and can be up on pony ten minutes after riding. It's a compromise and you need to decide what you are prepared to compromise on IME. Money, time, riding

Last edited:

Puddleduck

Visit site
As others said already, it's doable but you have to really want the horse and be prepared to make compromises to achieve it
I have a 60 mile drive to and from work which takes around an hour and 10 mins each way. My horse is on part livery so he's taken care of meaning I can ride after work. I try to ride 4 days a week after work and do more at weekends however winter makes it difficult even with a well drained floodlit school. Most weekdays I get home around 9.30pm after riding and skipping out.
I have to be disciplined at the weekend to get my washing done, wardrobe for the week planned and food shop in as I don't have time to do it after work.

Last edited:

Micropony

Visit site
It can work. I have an hour's commute from home to work, including drive to tube station and walk at the other end. Change into riding gear at work, and yard is 30 minutes drive from the tube station, so on the nights I am planning to ride I run out of work at 5 and can be at the yard by 6.30. By the time I have groomed, ridden, skipped out, done feeds, cleaned turnout boots, cuddled horse etc. I am usually home by 9/9.30pm.

The reason it works for me is the horse is in livery, so all the mucking out and turning in and out is done for me. Would not be physically possible for me to get there twice a day as the yard doesn't open until 7.30am. Also careful planning of which nights I plan to ride and when I might need to stay a bit later at work for whatever reason. And having an indoor school means if I have planned to ride then a bit of weather doesn't get in the way.

It's important to choose the right yard though. If horse is on livery, you have to be happy with the quality of care. Opening hours are important, some yards near me close stupidly early for people who don't work locally, and it's nice to be somewhere with a few other people with similar routines, but not so many you can't get in the school!

MS123

Visit site
But I would never ever consider trying to cope on DIY with a commute like that. I'm just not that dedicated :lol:

This!! I work 8am-4pm in the city with a 1 hour and 10 minute commute each way door to door. When I had T I'd usually be to the yard by 6pm in the evening to ride, groom, cuddle, skip out, and I'd be home by 8pm. I was on part livery mon-fri, weekends were total DIY (which I thoroughly enjoyed as I actually quite enjoyed mucking out, turning out, etc). There's no way I could've or would've done DIY even with my good working hours; sometimes I would work late, trains would be cancelled, and some evenings I'd see friends or I'd go straight home to spend time with the family. Might sound harsh but I wouldn't have had horses if I didn't have this option, horses were a huge part of my life but I refused to compromise on other things in my life that were just as important and needed just as much attention.

chestnut cob

community.webshots.com
I have a 45 min to 1 hour commute each end of the day when I work in the office, which is 4-5 days per week unless I'm seeing a customer or away (in Europe). Horse is on full livery mon-fri but yard is in the opposite direction to work and home so currently I'm lucky to ride 3 days a week. Moving yards in a couple of weeks to somewhere that is on one of my possible routes home from work which will mean in addition to my usual 3 days per week, I will probably go via the yard on way home another 2-3 nights after work. It's going to be amazing and I can't wait. With a commute like that and all of the European travel I do (so far this year I've been somewhere in Europe for 4 weeks out of the 7 we've been back at work), I couldn't cope on DIY. Once I'm at the new yard I could probably manage my mucking out when I do go to ride but TBH my working day is so long that I just don't want to m/o as well!

Full livery is your friend :)

Kezzabell2

Visit site
I don't commute but I know I could earn a good £20k+ on top of what I currently get if I moved to london!! even £12k if I went to Reading, which is only half an hour on the train! but for me its just not worth the extra money!! I get to spend time with my horses morning and evening and even lunch times if I want!

If I run out of feed I can get to the tack shops at lunch time or even straight after work, if I leave on time!

where as if you're commuiting you can't do these things, so your weekend will be taken up with extra shopping trips etc, but thats when you want to spend time with your horses!

CBFan

Visit site
I commute an hour each way each day, starting work at 9.30 and finishing work at 5.30 and keep my horse(s) on my doorstep on Grass livery. If it weren't for the fact they are on my doorstep and on grass livery, I think I'd really struggle. As it is I get up at 5.30 mon - Fri to feed and sort them (which in the winter usually consists of a bit of a fuss and a groom) in the summer I can generally squeeze a ride in first thing but it's all a bit tight as I need to leave for work by 8.30 latest.

I won't lie, it is hard. I get to about weds / thurs and I'm knackered and have so much to do at the weekends that I don't often get time to just relax. but I do it because If I didn't have my horses, I wouldn't have m sanity. In your shoes I'd consider either grass livery (not tied so much with regards to times you visit) or part / full livery or indeed getting a sharer (which is something I may do with one of mine next year, once he is up and running. (NB. I have one on field rest and my new one is currently unbroken so no riding at the mo)

stilltrying

Visit site
I've been doing it for 8 years, and currently have 2 on DIY! It can work.

However I only go up once a day, which in winter is mornings for the daylight and in summer i go after work instead. So in winter I do everything for mine in the mornings including make up feeds etc, and have a friend bring them in that evening. Literally all my friend has to do is catch, change rugs if needed and put feed in, everything else is done. It works really well, as said friend is a police officer and works shifts, and invariably is around in the afternoons not first thing in the mornings.

I am lucky that i can flex my working day slightly, so in winter i work 10 - 6 and in summer i work 8 - 4. If i was doing a set 9-5 it would be harder.

It is a long day, but its certainly do-able and i never thought i'd be able to manage 2 but i do. My house / car are a permenant mess but i can live with that : )

anuvb

Visit site
I've done this in the name or work for about 10 years and I think it depends on a number of factors.

(1) How much work you have to do. Not all jobs are equal and any with great promotion prospects also may mean that you will be expected to put in the work during your working hours, and possibly beyond too.
(2) How much you want to ride versus looking after your horses.
(3) The arrangements you can put in place for when the 'wheels fall off' eg the train is late, you're ill, etc etc.
(4) How much you are prepared to sacrifice from the rest of your life. You can earn all the money in the world and still not have enough time to do everything you want to do.

I have tried various livery arrangements in the past, and regardless of whether or not I have had back up support the truth is it is great in the summer, and grim in the winter. There is nothing like standing on a train platform or being stuck on the M25 when the weather is grim, knowing you have to get back to see your horse.

It is do-able, and we can all pat ourselves on the back for managing it, but I don't want to tell you that it is easy. Also what feels easy in the first few months, can start to add strain over time. I always have a grim cold/flu bug in the winter, and end up feeling run down by the time spring comes along. I get to February and am about ready to to jack it all in... every year. And then the sun pops out and it is fine again.

The big factors which have made it easier for me over the years is having a yard close to home (it's awful having to commute for miles and then travel again to the yard); knowing I have someone on hand to pick up the chores if I can't make it; and having a horse which can cope with being picked up and put down again if I can't ride that evening. When I have had horses that need constant work that has been very hard. And a very understanding OH. I can also work from home a couple of days a week I need to, and my work is pretty understanding around fitting in vets appointments etc as long as I get my work done. Without all this it would be incredibly tough.

Good luck.

godfreyy

Visit site
I think the long and short of it all is that generally it is difficult. I have my three on Assisted DIY in winter (DIY in summer) but if I had to go down twice a day on weekdays during the winter I'm honestly not sure how I would manage. So my tip to you to make your life easier is to opt for the easier of whatever solutions are available to you, and seek help when you need it. If you can find a yard that is on your way to/from work I have found this to be a big help as it saves a lot of time.

One thing I've noticed is how much you (and potentially your partner/family in some situations) have to sacrifice. For example, my social life has to fit around work and the horses. So if my OH wants to arrange for both of us to go out with friends either he'll have to fit it around what little time I have left in the evening, or he'll have to arrange it without me (that is of course unless he is feeling mighty generous and wants to go muck out and feed etc. the horses for me as he finishes work before I do!). Luckily he's very understanding and is happy to fit around this, but there are some people it could possibly put a strain on.

BUT! If you can make it through winter, then you'll more than likely find the summer months a doddle!

FestiveFuzz

Visit site
Haven't read other replies and possibly not what you want to hear but I have an 1-1.5hr commute each way per day and the only way I manage to have a horse is by having him on full livery, if I couldn't afford full livery I honestly don't think I'd have a horse as I often end up working longer hours than expected and would hate for him not to have a set routine.

Wheels

Visit site
so you're talking 1 hour 40 mins each way door to door? so 3 hours 10 mins each day? that's a long commute and I don't think I would be able to fit everything in TBH.

In the summer I'm up at 5.30 - out to feed, check over, quick groom - back in the house for cereal & shower and leave for work at 6.30. Then I get home for 5pm, straight out to ride, poo pick, groom, feed etc. and in the house for about 7.30 to 8pm then hour of tv and hugs with the dogs & then to bed

In winter I'm up at 6 - out to muck out, ride, feed, hay then in for breakfast and shower, leaving for work at 8.45 - back at 7pm and out to feed, muck out if they've been in, ride if I didn't manage to in the morning - back in the house for 8 - 9pm depending then hour of tv and hugs with the dogs and then to bed.

That's every day mon to fri without fail - the horses are at home luckily, I don't think I could do that without. If they weren't at home they would be on part livery mon-fri.

It's made possible by husband being very self sufficient & walking & taking care of the dogs. My horses live out as much as is possible. My job is stressful but I made a point from my very first day that I work only my allotted hours of 8-4 in the summer and 10-6 in the winter unless for urgent situations, some jobs that culture would be frowned upon so this is something you will have to work out when you start your new job.

If this were me I would hold off on buying another horse until you're settled into your new job. Work out just how much time & money you can spare and take it from there.

It is doable but it's hard - I have no social life as even at the weekends I'm catching up on jobs that I haven't got done during the week.

nato

Visit site
I have a 45min commute each way, and work 9 to 6. I leave the house at 8am and I'm usually home by just after 7 each evening, and then I get changed and head onto the yard which is a 20min drive away.

On the yard for 7.30 and am home usually by 9.30pm. My horse is on full livery and I couldn't do it without that. I travel a lot with work and there are days when I need to stay late so I wouldn't be able to rely on a consistent routine for my horse.

If my commute was 1 hour 40mins each way I think I'd struggle on full livery - there is no way I'd consider DIY. If you live near the yard then it's doable on full I would say.

As others have said, it gets pretty grim in winter but I persevere safe in the knowledge that it will all be worth it come summer when we are in tip top shape for competition season :)

HufflyPuffly

Visit site
I have an hour to an hour and a half commute each way, with three on DIY.

This only works as one is mum's and we help each other out, and I do two days at home. I go up twice a day when I'm in the office and three times when I'm at home. It's a bit tricky if I need to ride more than one a day and it means I'm generally last at the yard on my own. We have to move yards in the near future and I'm going to look for a livery yard I think, as extra help would be welcome!

sunnyone

Visit site
I think there are more horse owners than you realise who do an hour's commute on public transport, often on the buses which never go straight where you want, and then they too have to add walking and waiting time.
As for going to London I had a 3 hour commute each way for twice for 2 years at a time. My choice as I wanted to do jobs that I enjoyed and which were not available locally.
My OH did a lot to help in those 4 years but I managed without him when necessary. The culture of the place where you work can have a lot to do with it. I couldn't do breakfast meetings as the first train of the day did not arrive in time for those but I regularly did late night coverage on Fridays when others wanted to get away early, so I demonstrated my willingness to do the job and lead my teams.

Ways to help manage your time:
1. Leave horse out as much as possible; plan to ride two or three weekdays only. You can ride at the weekends too.

2. Get up earlier than you need and then pay for car parking at the station. That would probably reduce your commuting time by half an hour a day.

3. Treat your commute as me time, in particular get on a train when going home where you can find a seat and sleep for some of the journey. Best if you can find a buddy wanting to do the same, so you can be each other's security.

dibbin

Visit site
Until we moved our horses to my house last month, I was driving to the yard and back (10-15 mins each way), followed by a 10 minute walk to the station, a 50 minute train journey, and then a 15 minute walk to the office. They were on DIY livery, stabled at night all year round, and I did that for about 14 months.

I was lucky that my mum and sister bring them in in the afternoons, as I don't get home until about 8 pm most nights. It's a LONG day!

For about 18 months before that I was in Edinburgh, I went to the yard in the morning (5 minute drive) then had a 5 minute walk - 20 minute train - 10 minute walk commute to work. I then went back up in the evenings as although he was caught in for me (I turned the YM's horse out in the morning, she brought Jazz in in the afternoon) I still needed to do hay and water.