Reckless, a brave little war horse.

Saucisson

Visit site
Good grief! Going to firing zones - ON HER OWN :eek::eek::eek:

I have trouble getting mine past strange shaped sticks :eek:

What a super story and nice that she was obviously appreciated and not sold back in Korea for profit.

Thanks for sharing :)

Boxers

Visit site
That's a nice story. Recently in the paper there was a story about war horses and they told the story of one particular horse - sorry I can't remember the name and can't find the paper. Anyway, the horse was retired after the war and the MoD (or whoever) paid for it's keep. When it was 33 the MoD decided it couldn't afford to pay anymore and so the horse was sent to the slaughterhouse. Now the additional awful thing about this is that the General who rode the horse was too cut up to accompanying the horse to the slaughterhouse, and although he was retired too he had a very good lifestyle, but apparently could not spare any of his wealth to pay for the horse's keep - a sad end to another brave horse I think.

Vindaloo

Visit site
That's a nice story. Recently in the paper there was a story about war horses and they told the story of one particular horse - sorry I can't remember the name and can't find the paper. Anyway, the horse was retired after the war and the MoD (or whoever) paid for it's keep. When it was 33 the MoD decided it couldn't afford to pay anymore and so the horse was sent to the slaughterhouse. Now the additional awful thing about this is that the General who rode the horse was too cut up to accompanying the horse to the slaughterhouse, and although he was retired too he had a very good lifestyle, but apparently could not spare any of his wealth to pay for the horse's keep - a sad end to another brave horse I think.

Oh god, that's horrendous. Fancy not putting your hand in your pocket for the horses final years. At the very least, you'd have thought he could have paid for PTS in familiar surroundings. What a sad ending.

unbalanced

Visit site
Oh god, that's horrendous. Fancy not putting your hand in your pocket for the horses final years. At the very least, you'd have thought he could have paid for PTS in familiar surroundings. What a sad ending.

I understood that the horse was shot because it was the second world war and owing to rationing and the fact that the horse was retired and unable to do any war work it was felt that the grain would be better used feeding people or other (working) animals. The general was still very upset about it and not present when the deed was done. But it was about rationing rather than money, sad though it is.