Recommend a bit for my TB x

LansdownK310

Visit site
Hi, I havent had my new horse very long.

He came with a loose ring Spenger KK Training Bit. He'd mainly been used for hacking, I had noticed on occasions that if he messed around his owner took up a fairly strong contact. I hacked him out a few times recently, conscious of having a nice light but consistent contact the whole time, using my leg through his spooks. He was fine initially after about 40 mins of light road work he started to snatch at the reins.

I have lunged him in side reins on a few occasions and noticed the same resistance, as I wanted to ensure that it wasnt my contact causing him discomfort. His back and teeth were checked not that long ago.

My instructor is coming to do some schooling in a few weeks and I want to find him something that he likes before we ask him to step his work up a gear.

The bit he's in is supposed to encourage salivation - however he's hardly salivating. He has a small head (cob size) and mouth and wondered that even though this bit is milder due to its size, whether i should try something not as thick in his mouth and if this would be more comfortable. I also have looked at the sweet irons and wonder if he'd find this a bit warmer.

Would appreciate any suggestions/similar experiences.

Stacey02

Visit site
Know this may sound predictable but generally in my experience tb's have soft mouths whats he crossed with?

I have an xrace when i had her she used to head shake alot and snatch the reins, not to tank off anywhere just seemed to be a habbit of hers.

I always give her the benefit of the doubt and dont have too much of a hold on her mouth as shes pretty quiet and isnt strong.

If your horse doesnt tank off and isnt strong maybe try a snaffle? may make him happy?

im not saying it will work 100% but it worked for me and shes happy in it :)

LansdownK310

Visit site
He's crossed with Irish Draft but only an 1/8th. Yes he doesnt ever feel like he's going to tank off with me. Do you have yours in an eggbutt or a loose ring? How thicker mouthpiece do you have?

Double_choc_lab

Visit site
Pleased to see you've got a new horse hope it goes well. L didn't like contact when we first got her and we used a loose ring snaffle with a lozenge and she's quite happy with this. Tried some others but gone back to this. She really salivates with it even though its not sweet iron. With her we think it was the nutcracker action she didn't like.

MM&PP

Visit site
My TBx wasn't a fan of jointed/french link but popped her in a rubber straight bar loose ring snaffle and she loves it. I have heard that the structure of the TB's mouth often works well with a straight bar.

jm2k

Visit site
i have very recently taken an ex-racer, almost 4. last raced in Oct so very fresh off the track. im hacking him out in a hanging cheek, quite fat, french link and so far so good. not playing or getting agitated with it at all. just plan on keeping him as lightly bitted as possible.

patchandloopy

Visit site
My TB has not much room in his mouth and he has a loose ring french link which he loves, I have found he much prefers loose ringed bits and something without a nutcraker action like a single jonted snaffle. he hated a myler and also poll pressue bits either i.e gags.

LansdownK310

Visit site
I'll try him in a straight bar rubber loose ring and see how he gets on - he does have a very small mouth and a cob sized head.

Never ridden any TB in anything other than a snaffle - yes they can be forward going but in most cases the breaks are there :)

I can always go back to the loose ring french link when he's more accepting of a contact.

Out of interest do you use a flash with yours? I'm debating about changing the bit and loosing the flash and resorting to just a caveson.

LansdownK310

Visit site
Pleased to see you've got a new horse hope it goes well. L didn't like contact when we first got her and we used a loose ring snaffle with a lozenge and she's quite happy with this. Tried some others but gone back to this. She really salivates with it even though its not sweet iron. With her we think it was the nutcracker action she didn't like.

Thanks Double_choc_lab - there's lots of work to do as he's really babyish for his age but has a good attitude, is fine hacking on his own and the most fab temprament in the stable and to handle! Lots of hardwork awaits :D

patchandloopy

Visit site
Never ridden any TB in anything other than a snaffle - yes they can be forward going but in most cases the breaks are there :)

Out of interest do you use a flash with yours? I'm debating about changing the bit and loosing the flash and resorting to just a caveson.

Very true, just a woah or a steady and mine is back listening and slowing down. Also if I say 'forward' to him to create a better bigger striding trot - rather than going faster(whether that is on the lunge or riding) he does! - love my pony!!

I use a flash (not sure about the others) but I have it a lot looser than I would with another horse, he opens his mouth a lot but dislikes feeling 'trapped' in one.