Recommend a girth?

charlotte0916

Visit site
Gloria the hippo (aka my lovely 70% blood mare) is finally slimming down now in full work and winter ?

This means however we are currently in the market for a new girth.

We’ve got a few requirements though: - must be super comfy as she’s previously had ulcers and whilst not girthy anymore can still be a bit precious.
- Must have a very low chance of rubbing, this horse currently has a full unclipped winter coat and still has rug rubs I’m trying to minimise!

Ideally research I’ve read suggests closed cell foam is the ideal but I’ve yet to find one marketed this way unhelpfully.

Please send your best suggestions our way!

Sossigpoker

Visit site
Prolite with a fluffy girth sleeve works for my very delicate and pink skinned cob. The Shires Supafleece girth sleeve (the "tube" kind ) goes over the Prolite and is really soft and fluffy.

Cragrat

Visit site
It may seem counter intuitive, but the Stubben cord girths are fanastic for this situation. My daughter has a young, grey, sensitive, reactive-skinned ROR. She loves the Stubben girth. They don't get sweaty, don't rub, are not bulky, and don't bunch.

charlotte0916

Visit site
Prolite with a fluffy girth sleeve works for my very delicate and pink skinned cob. The Shires Supafleece girth sleeve (the "tube" kind ) goes over the Prolite and is really soft and fluffy.

That’s good to hear, thank you! I’ve heard prolite are a bit marmite with rubbing so great that the fleecy option works.

charlotte0916

Visit site
It may seem counter intuitive, but the Stubben cord girths are fanastic for this situation. My daughter has a young, grey, sensitive, reactive-skinned ROR. She loves the Stubben girth. They don't get sweaty, don't rub, are not bulky, and don't bunch.

I actually have one of these currently that she’s now grown out of - might be worth looking for another size down in that case. I didn’t notice a huge difference with her in that either way but she didn’t protest which is always positive!

sbloom

www.stephaniebloomsaddlefitter.co.uk
Foam/neoprene girths tend to have rubbish stretchy elastic, though the fixed ones might be better. Have you asked your fitter? I much prefer elasticated both ends, except for the Stubben cord girth which I recommend highly to many of my customers (wide horses my sole speciality for 12 years), but some fitters seem to find non-elastic is better, so it depends on how your saddle is fitted. And that's not an A or B, it's up to your fitter to explain what would likely work best. But the Stubben is a really good bet - soft, wide and low profile so most causes of rubbing are eliminated. If your horse has a bib belly and a short "pouchy" girth groove it can fold over itself and pinch, but that's rare.

charlotte0916

Visit site
Foam/neoprene girths tend to have rubbish stretchy elastic, though the fixed ones might be better. Have you asked your fitter? I much prefer elasticated both ends, except for the Stubben cord girth which I recommend highly to many of my customers (wide horses my sole speciality for 12 years), but some fitters seem to find non-elastic is better, so it depends on how your saddle is fitted. And that's not an A or B, it's up to your fitter to explain what would likely work best. But the Stubben is a really good bet - soft, wide and low profile so most causes of rubbing are eliminated. If your horse has a bib belly and a short "pouchy" girth groove it can fold over itself and pinch, but that's rare.

The low profile is part of the reason I quite liked the stubben girth and went for it in the first place. The natural slight give seemed positive too. I’m just waiting on my saddle fitter to get back to me with an appointment currently but as it’s looking like it may be the end of Feb I think I’d best look for at least an intermediate option to be sure I don’t end up under her belly one day ?

MuddyMonster

Visit site
It was a Stubben cord girth that gave my native his girth rubs whereas he's been fine in a Prolite- oddly the dressage rubbed him slightly and needed padding but not had any problems with the GP.

We didn't have any problems with the Thorowgood girth either but found pony preferred the anatomical nature of the Prolite.

Sussexbythesea

Visit site
I’ve been through Fairfax- too wide and shape caused rubbing behind shoulders. Prolite - thin rigid edges that rub. Then tried a Stubben string girth. This did not rub and I used it for quite a while but I find it allows too much movement of the saddle and they seem to stretch a lot and I had to keep tightening the girth numerous times during riding.

I’ve now gone back to my plain Shires leather girth elasticated both ends for both of my horses. I bought the Blenheim for the younger one as didn’t have one big enough. It’s soft and hasn’t rubbed at all even though he’s chestnut and fully clipped.

Sprogladite01

Visit site
My connie slimmed down dramatically when he came to me and he's also got one huge left shoulder (confirmation thing, rather than uneven muscle) - as a result of his weird shoulder he's always had his saddle slipping to the right, even though the saddle itself actually fits him. As he's slimmed down, we've started using the Sheldon comfort girth which was recommended to me by my saddler - he finds it really comfy, doesn't rub, and using different girth straps on either side has really helped to keep the saddle in place. I didn't expect to like it as much as I did, but it's definitely a keeper for us :)
It's also not horribly expensive which was a big plus in my book!

Pinkvboots

Visit site
My connie slimmed down dramatically when he came to me and he's also got one huge left shoulder (confirmation thing, rather than uneven muscle) - as a result of his weird shoulder he's always had his saddle slipping to the right, even though the saddle itself actually fits him. As he's slimmed down, we've started using the Sheldon comfort girth which was recommended to me by my saddler - he finds it really comfy, doesn't rub, and using different girth straps on either side has really helped to keep the saddle in place. I didn't expect to like it as much as I did, but it's definitely a keeper for us :)
It's also not horribly expensive which was a big plus in my book!

My Arab has the same big left shoulder and saddle slips right I shim it on the right shoulder and put an extra shim on the back right and it seems to stabilise it, I use the wool nuumed shim numnah but I am sure most would work might be worth a try!

Wheresthehoofpick

Visit site
Her last one was 140cm so looking for 130-135cm. I think that equates to 52-54” roughly.
I have a selection of all these for sale ??. Collected for my previous sensitive horse. But they would be too short (46" ish).

I am currently using beautiful super soft leather anatomical girths from Andrea Hicks. They are elasticated both ends. My girls love them.

sbloom

I have a selection of all these for sale ??. Collected for my previous sensitive horse. But they would be too short (46" ish).

I am currently using beautiful super soft leather anatomical girths from Andrea Hicks. They are elasticated both ends. My girls love them.

They're beautiful and they do really work well, lovely leather, a nice wide shaped centre "band" (hate the older designs of girths that have a narrow band), soft padding and strong elastic. For those that can't afford them the Harry Dabbs waffle with elastic both ends is very good.

charlotte0916

Visit site

Pants, I don’t think I’m going to get her quite that slim!
The AH one looks beautiful, if funds permitted right now or I could find one second hand I’d snap it up!

charlotte0916

Visit site
They're beautiful and they do really work well, lovely leather, a nice wide shaped centre "band" (hate the older designs of girths that have a narrow band), soft padding and strong elastic. For those that can't afford them the Harry Dabbs waffle with elastic both ends is very good.

I think I’m zeroing in on that description as what I’m after - do you know of any others similar in leather which I might find second hand/for slightly less?
I think the Harry dabs is somewhat similar to the thoroughgood chafeless one I’ve had on her previously? I may look for that option in the tack shop.

Northern Hare

Visit site
I tried all sorts of girths for my sensitive skinned TBxWB - expensive and cheaper brands and designs. The only one that was ok for him was the Keiffer Neoprene girth. Excellent. Easy to wash and they last for years.

sbloom

I think I’m zeroing in on that description as what I’m after - do you know of any others similar in leather which I might find second hand/for slightly less?
I think the Harry dabs is somewhat similar to the thoroughgood chafeless one I’ve had on her previously? I may look for that option in the tack shop.

They sometimes come up second hand, otherwise I'm sorry I don't, my customers either buy those or the Harry Dabbs if they want that shape and function.