Recommend a wound cream please!

Spyda

Visit site
Having recently moved yards, I actually cleaned out my equine medicine box at the yard this morning
*shock horror!*

I noticed my old wound creams are out of date (in more ways than one, I expect
smirk.gif
)

Can anyone recommend any of the new wound creams/gels that are on the market? Would want something suitable for small cuts and grazes, and something antibacterial for say, mud fever. I've got Hibiscrub, but want a cream or gel as well.

Also, annoyingly I notice my unopened Animalintex poulice is out of date. Will this really matter?

I buy them to keep for "just-in-case" and then end up with them being out of date before I need them. Shall I keep it or buy yet another?

BigRed

Visit site
I buy a clear gel called Vetalintex, it is a sterile hydrogel which helps small cuts/wounds to heal and keeps the flies off. It comes in small tubes so you can use it and lose it.

LankyDoodle

Visit site
You need some sudocrem or similar in there, but do not use this for anything other than very minor grazes as it will seal in contamination and can also prevent adequate healing by attacking new cells (vet's advice after my own boy got kicked in the head 10 days ago).

I would recommend having a hydrogel such as intrasite in your box. This is good for anything more than a graze. If you apply it to a wound as soon as you find it, it will kill most of the bacteria and preserve the wound long enough that the vet is more likely to be able to stitch and to do so with minimum chance of infection.

You obviously need salt, dettol, hibbiscrub in there. And your usual gamgee, dressings, clean-up pads, bandages, scissors etc, which I am sure you have.

They used to say leave the wound o dry out and use wound powders, but now it's the gels. I have to say that my boy got heavily sedated to properly clean the wound and apply the first lot of gel and, being so big (and the wound on his head), he would not allow me near it to clean or reapply, so the wound was left for about a week and scabbed over on its own. The last few days I have been allowed to quickly swipe some saline solution over it. So technically, in part, it has been allowed to dry out and scab over but because there is a good blood supply to the head, this helps. The scab has now fallen off and a new one forming, but you can clearly see the bright red granulation tissue that has been forming underneath the scab.

Your best weapon is a hydrogel as it will keep the wound moist, clean and bacteria-free (on the whole).

I'd also have camrosa, aloe vera, cornucrescine in there for when the wound has pretty much grown a layer of skin back but needs help to heal neatly and with minimum scarring.

I have arnica in mine as well.

ladyt25

Visit site
Sudocrem is great but a bit of a pig to get off! I like that derma gel but also love fuciderm (although i think this is more for allergy related skin probs) it is like 'magic' gel in my opinion and heals wounds/rashes/sunburn v quickly. Think you can only get it from the vet though and I *think* it is steroidal (but then so is Sudocrem as far as i know!)

We have 2 tubes of it and it last a good long while - also good for putting ion eczema (although i don't think technically it's supposed to be for human use!!! hehe)
grin.gif

Spyda

Visit site
Yes, I've got a few hydrogel tubes. Tis great stuff.

I've got Dermobion Green, Dermisol, Hibiscrub, iodine spray, hydrogel, Cornucrescine, Vasoline, E45 cream, Sudocrem, Zinc-and-Castor oil cream, sulphur powder, Pig-oil, liquid Parafin, Tea-Tree oil wound spray, gamgee, 20+ Vet Wrap bandages, Gel-Eze leg wraps, regular leg bandages, stable bandages, scissors, clean bucket and sponges!

Still think I could do with something to replace the out of date Green Oils and purple-spray, though.

crackersluvrat

Visit site
VETALINTEX is the best for an open wet wound, keeps a moist environment for optimum healing conditions plus its what the vet gives you so must be the best
wink.gif

Toby_Zaphod

Visit site
Forget wound powder it dries the edges of the wound & prevents it healing quickly. You won't find a vet that will recommend that powder anymore. The wound needs to remain moist so use Sudocreme/ Dermoline type creams on it.
wink.gif

LankyDoodle

Visit site
Yup, intrasite all the way
grin.gif
No wound powders for me! And definitely no creams like sudocrem on open wounds - a paradise for infection!

Spyda, you sound like you have an equine pharmacy
grin.gif

I need to update my contents because when we lost our mare we used a lot of the stuff and never topped up. I have sudocrem, dettol, salt, hibbiscrub, animalintex, gamgee, general bandages and dressings, scissors, bute, syringes, intrasite, arnica, aloe vera gel, need to replace the cornucrescine, wipes (for me), buckets and sponges, knife, tape.