Recommend Bit - For Low Palate + Large Tongue

laurenn1010

Visit site
Hi there, can anyone recommend a bit for a horse with large tongue and low palate.

Currently riding in a mullen happy mouth 3 ring dutch gag on the large main ring, however would like a to change to snaffle type.

She will not tolerate nut-cracker action at all with egg-butts.

would like something to help her to relax and not lean on the bit (currently schooling to help with this also) - she is quite strong on xc and hacking.

madlady

Visit site
Have you tried a mouthpiece with a low port - they can be very good and comfortable for horses with a thick tongue.

My girl won't tolerate any form of single or double jointed bit but goes really nicely in a kimblewick or anything with a ported mouthpiece. I can just about get away with a hanging cheek french link if it isn't a narrow mouthpiece - she will tolerate it but doesn't respond as well as she does with a ported mouthpiece.

Annagain

Visit site
You could be describing my horse. He has a Myler mullen mouth hanging cheek for flat work, a Waterford hanging cheek for more exciting stuff and a Waterford gag for really exciting stuff. He hates anything jointed. I only got the Myler as I couldn't find a normal mullen mouth in a 6" but I think the curved mouthpiece really helps him. When he needs something stronger, he seems to likes the flexibility of the Waterford.

Makemineacob

Visit site
I've had great success with Myler bits, using the ported mouthpieces. My mare has a very big tongue and hated the nutcracker action so stopped onto a Myler on recommendation and I'd never use any other bits now.

Sugar_and_Spice

Visit site
happy mouth bits make an eggbutt and a full cheek version of the bit with the same mouthpiece you currently have. But I'd choose a loose ring cambridge mouth snaffle (I've also seen it called a Magic Snaffle) instead because I don't like how happy mouth bits get sharp when chewed. In case you've not seen one, it's like a snaffle version of an ordinary kimblewick.

Micky

Visit site
Same mouth and leaning as mine...Pelham for out and about as he can get head strong so I only have to ask gently with hand and body to stop, Mullen mouth for schooling..I have tried waterfords, filet baucher and neue scheule, the last two work well for schooling too but not pleasure *jog all the way* rides!

applecart14

Visit site
Neue Schule do a thinner mouthpiece with their Salox bits which have a warming affect when in the horses mouth. They have a patented design called tranz angled lozenge -I have their Pelham and its really very comfortable for my horse compared to his last one which was a normal stainless steel straight bar Pelham. He is dutch bred so has a large tongue.

Hepsibah

Visit site
Myler comfort snaffle worked for my large tongued fleshy cheeked mare too. A thinner mouthpiece without the nutcracker action of a standard jointed bit is better for some horses than a fat single jointed snaffle which is commonly felt to be kinder to the horse.

nato

Visit site
I had a Myler on my mare and it cut her pink fleshy lips :( I am not heavy handed and she does not lean more than in any other bit, I was super disappointed.

She went very well in a Neue Schule Turtle Top

Kylara

Visit site
Little pony I school has fat tongue and low palate. Tried a NS pony double jointed snaffle and he went great. Trial over it went back and now trying a couple of other thinner double jointed but he's not going so well. One more to try and then I'm going to have to suggest the NS even though very expensive! Not entirely sure what the exact difference is other than a mild curve to the side, and I may try him in a straight bar first (and a mullen mouth vesion) but finding small ones is super difficult!

I think it's a case of trial and error. Try a double joint in a few different typer, a straight bar in a few types, and a hanging cheek may help if horse likes stability of bit in the mouth, if not, then have a play with different cheek pieces and hopefully you'll find the right combo! Borrowing and trialling is the way forward rather than buying as you'll end up with a bunch of money in unused bits!

GoldenWillow

Visit site
My mare had a low palate, large tongue and fleshy bars and cheeks. She went best in a Myler comfort snaffle but also went well in a JP jointed snaffle (curved bars). She much preferred loose rings over eggbutt cheeks as I think it allowed her to move the bit in her mouth to where it was most comfortable.

lelly

Visit site
Cotswold sport tongue saver bits are great for horses with a fat tongue and low palate. I got the Boucher with a lozenge and my youngster is much happier in this one. They are similar to neue schule but much cheaper.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Neue Schule do a thinner mouthpiece with their Salox bits which have a warming affect when in the horses mouth. They have a patented design called tranz angled lozenge -I have their Pelham and its really very comfortable for my horse compared to his last one which was a normal stainless steel straight bar Pelham. He is dutch bred so has a large tongue.

My Westphalian Kaltblut likes NS bits.

Pocketr@cket

Visit site
I really rate bomber bits. They have a happy mouth which is ported. They also have a snaffle which is a single joint but called lock up as its unable make the nutcracker action due to a little bump that stops it. We preferred the lock up which I was very surprised by.