recommend me a bit?

digitalangel

Visit site
Can anyone recommend me a bit for my boy?

hes currently in a happy mouth straight bar loose ring.

Hes not strong at all, and is quite a sensitive chap all round. has been known to grind his teeth . can hang onto the inside rein at times.

looking to head away from a loose ring, as i suspect its pinching him. hes happy enough with a metal bit. Has previously been ridden in a plain snaffle with old owner, but when i rode him in it i wasnt totally thrilled with his way of going.

thanks guys!!!

Visit site
If he is hanging on the inside rein, I would have thought a loose ring snaffle would be suitable for him, possibly with a french link in the middle to encourage him to mouth it more. If you are worried about it pinching his mouth, why don't you use bit guards? (biscuit rings)
smile.gif

Paint it Lucky

Visit site
If you don't want a loose ring the next mildest would be an eggbutt cheek. Or you can now get pinchless looserings, or you could try rubber bit guards to stop the pinching.

Have you had his teeth checked lately? As this could be a cause of the grinding, as could other things such as stress, discomfort, not liking that style of bit, heavy-handedness, rider hanging on one rein (not saying that you do), stomach ulcers etc, the list goes on! Some horses just do it out of habit. Might be worth trying him in a jointed bit to see if he is happier? Prehaps one with a lozenge as these are fairly mild or a shaped mouthpiece to give good tongue clearence and avid having a nutcracker effect.

monkeybum13

Visit site
You can now buy pinchless loose rings, these may help
Is it actually the rings that are rubbing or the happy mouth material as in the past I've found the happy mouth to rub, not the actual bit rings.

digitalangel

Visit site
thanks guys!

fyi yes his teeth were done 6 months ago, the dentist is very happy with his mouth. he is due a checkup in march.

i dont want to use bit rings because theyre not legal for dressage and a pain to put on/take off. i havent seen any of these pinchless ones tho - anyone got a link??

he only grinds on occasion, and i think its stress that makes him do it - but hes a stresshead anyway :/