recommend me a budget friendly bridle

Botters

Visit site
Have you had a look on ebay?

There is a J Barclay comfort grackle on there for £40.

I don't know what they are like though.

If you find something good let me know, I am after something similar in brown!

amy_b

Visit site
had a browse on eBay, problem is they are either out of my budget or I dont trust them because they are cheap - catch 22!! whcih is why Im looking for recommendation ;)
I need something comfy over the headpice as my boy is hating his jumping bridle :( not sure if its worse because he has a devoucoux dressage bridle that had a really wide flat headpiece so he really feels it in a normal headpiece...
otherwise I will just have to get used to changing bits between phases :(

Leg_end

Visit site
A touch more expensive at around £60 (i think) but Evision Equine may be worth a look. I ordered some reins from them and was so impressed with the quality of the leather - same as albion, english, beautifully soft and no need to oil before use like some other cheaper leather. Definitely worth the extra money IMO.

Botters

Visit site
Or how about just getting a padded headpiece poll guard thing? Then you can keep your bridle

Think you can get padded ones to attach to bridle, or leather to slip under headpiece.

Again I don't have any recommendations! Sorry I'm useless, I will be quiet now! :eek:

amy_b

Visit site
Actually padding is a really good idea, hadn't thought of that!!
The evision (sp?!) ones are £69 - too far out of my price range :(

georgiegirl

Visit site
Ive had a heritage bridle before and to be honest the leather quality was rubbish!

Might be worth keeping an eye on derby house - as much as there customer service can be pants they do very good bridles in the sales and the derby house own brand ones are suprisingly good quality.

If you can hang on and save a bit more money I would thoroughly recommend evison - I have a breastplate by them which is beautiful english leather - Im after a dressage bridle by them - might have to ask father christmas!

Fourlegsgood

Visit site
Ummmn. Well I've had about 6 heritage bridles off eBay over the last 4 years and I thought they were a fine everyday bridle for the money. I do treat them with a high quality leather balm though when they arrive.

esselle

Visit site

Blitzen

Visit site
How about a Shires Sailsbury grackle? Barnstormers have them for £40. I've got one and its actually pretty nice! I got it 3 years ago and its had a hard life but is holding up well :)

vam

Visit site
The shires one are actually quite nice i have one for a everyday bridle, might need a bit of an oil but not bad for the price. I have a HKM breastplate as well which is nice quality for the price so i think the bridles wouldnt be to bad but i cant seem to find a padded one in your budget.
I had one of these in a flash and i didnt look after it very well at all but its lasted years. Always came up well when cleaned and i still have it now as a spare/lunge bridle. really not bad leather.
http://www.inter-equine.com/horse/b...her-comfort-bridle-with-grackle-noseband.html

wench

Visit site
I got a normal shires bridle couple of years ago, had a padded headband, excluding reins it was about £40

amy_b

Visit site
I like the FSS on eBay but never had one before but tempted to buy one.

What about John Whittaker one? Might find a cheap second hand one.

I have JW one which is awesome, nicest bridle Iv owned but I dont have £75 :( I think I can get the FSS padded headpiece and browband quite cheap which will transform my bridle....

Potato!

Visit site
The leather was not supple even after oiling, and very red which ran down my horses face when wet. It didn’t smell like English leather which it was suppost to be. Also the keepers were too small and so couldn’t use them. I couldn’t complain though as when my horse decided to b***** off across the field with it on I went round picking up pieces of bridle.

I paid £70 for it and was not that impressed. I went out and bought a cheap £35.00 HY bridle from the local feed merchants and am more impressed with that one for an everyday bridle.

amy_b

Visit site
hmmph...think I might have to just scour table top tack sales :( :rolleyes:
Sooner rather than later, three times Iv stopped myself commenting on posts on here to ask what make thier bridle is!!! :eek::eek:

georgiegirl

Visit site
The FFS ones look awful quality even from the pictures! Its quite telling there is even an 'advert' for a FSS bridle on ebay from a very disgruntled customer saying how shoddy they are. This company also traded under a different name on ebay a few years back and then started up a whole new username - (I imagine because of lots of bad feedback although cant say for certain)

I would be tempted to take a punt on the J barclay one (they appear to have very good feedback) and if it isnt up to scratch send it back! With the budget Im afraid your pretty limited but if you could save a bit more money and stretch to the evison I know you will be impressed - a lot of people liken them to albion etc in terms of quality and the headpieces on the evison ones are a direct copy of the Jeffries IR bridles (padded and cut away behind the ears)

ihatework

Visit site
I bought a cheap J Barclay one for a little sell-on horse I had (and sold it with the horse).

For the money it was very good and did the job well, I'd buy another J Barclay if ever looking for a budget bridle.

That does come with the caveat that you need to tailor your expectations of what you can get for £40 accordingly!!!