Recommend me a casual riding jacket

AthenesOwl

Visit site
Riding today and it really felt like spring had sprung. Or rather, I was overheating in my winter jacket. The very elderly fleecy jacket I usually ride in when it’s warmer is dying, so it’s probably time to get something riding specific.

What do people wear these days? Ideally showerproof and light weight. It’s been years since I bought a new outer layer for riding in spring/autumn.

Thanks!

ThreeFurs

Visit site
I like the BVertigo Abigail rain jacket.

It covers tops of thighs, is quite light, shower-rather than rainproof, but has nice outline, so you can wear it to the shops and not feel like a dag. And, the back flap fastens with concealed magnetic snaps, and these open to make room for the cantle. 1708576810013.jpeg

AthenesOwl

Visit site
Great idea to use a hi viz running jacket. I don’t do a lot of hacking (I mostly have lessons) but I have one stashed away from the days when I used to run which could be put to good use for hacking.

I had wondered about a soft shell. They werent around last time I bought a jacket for spring riding, which shows how infrequently I buy such things!

Annagain

Visit site
Softshell - Regatta are cheap and look as good as the more expensive ones. The best thing about them is as they're soft inside, you can wear them over a t-shirt if it's wet but too warm for another layer and they don't get sticky and sweaty.

Last edited:

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site

vhf

Visit site
Riding today and it really felt like spring had sprung. Or rather, I was overheating in my winter jacket. The very elderly fleecy jacket I usually ride in when it’s warmer is dying, so it’s probably time to get something riding specific.

What do people wear these days? Ideally showerproof and light weight. It’s been years since I bought a new outer layer for riding in spring/autumn.

Thanks!
Ooh yes. But I also want one that will cover my behind at training/low key stuff where I don't want to channel my usual dragged-through-the-hedge-backwards look... Even my formal competition jackets are genuinely last century, I think I need a major review!

AthenesOwl

Visit site
Ooh yes. But I also want one that will cover my behind at training/low key stuff where I don't want to channel my usual dragged-through-the-hedge-backwards look... Even my formal competition jackets are genuinely last century, I think I need a major review!
I am glad I'm not the only one with last century riding gear! Mine may be vintage, but not of the stylish kind.

Looks like there are lots of good options to check out. I do love a spot of online window shopping before taking the plunge.

Reactions: vhf

vhf

Visit site
I am glad I'm not the only one with last century riding gear! Mine may be vintage, but not of the stylish kind.

Looks like there are lots of good options to check out. I do love a spot of online window shopping before taking the plunge.
Good to find a like-minded collector of vintage... (cheapskate borderline hoarder in my case, but...) Got cross with a horse for breaking my best new bridle the other day, then remembered I bought it in 2000...
I hate shopping, even window-shopping, so please report back! 😂

Annagain

Visit site
Good to find a like-minded collector of vintage... (cheapskate borderline hoarder in my case, but...) Got cross with a horse for breaking my best new bridle the other day, then remembered I bought it in 2000...
I hate shopping, even window-shopping, so please report back! 😂
I still have (and wear) my university riding club top. I bought it in my first year at uni in 1996. I'm sure some of my other clothes are as old but I can't accurately date those.

Squeak

Visit site
I've suddenly realised how old and worn out most of my riding clothes and horse gear is. I don't mind if it's good quality and still going but I got to a competition the other day and realised I just looked a mess 😅

AthenesOwl

Visit site
If anyone is interested, I ended up getting a Le Mieux Torrent jacket, in a smart dark blue. Ita short, waterproof and has a light fleece lining, with room to add layers under on chilly days without looking too bulky. I’ve worn it a few times now and I’m very happy with my choice.

Mfh999

Visit site
For anyone interested, I'm having a clear out of my Musto jackets and there are a couple of lightweight ones suitable. I'll put them in the for sale section when I get back later this afternoon to keep within T&Cs.

poiuytrewq

Visit site
I just bought myself a Le Mieux Softshell after seeing them recommended here. I really like it. Its light, comfortable, has good zipped pockets and i did get stuck out in a fairly heavy shower last week and stayed dry under neath.
Its also washed and dried really quickly.