Recommend me a hoof boot- Epic Abcsess recovery!

avthechav

Visit site
Poor Ginge has been lame for the last 5 weeks with a proper stubborn abscess right in the whole poor boys heel. After endless pouticing, several vet and farrier visits and 2 eruptions- we had him xrayed on Tues and all is fine, it really is just a nasty oozy abscess.

So Vet opened it all up and finally we seem to be getting somewhere, however vet has reccommended that due to standing in mud not being great for chances of re-infection, ginge stays in for a month. He will go mental!! So I am hoping that after about 10-14 days I can put him out with a hoof boot on to prevent muddy water seeping back in. Does anyone have any reccommendation for which boot would be good. I have tried a Shires Poultice boot in large but it wouldnt go on. So which hoof boots would be best for turn out and using to prevent nasties getting in?

Thanks
:)

avthechav

Visit site
hmmm hadnt thought of that, of course they would have drainage holes. Maybe I will try an extra large poultice boot? He was very happy for ginge to be ridden- think that its just the standing around in muddy water that we need to avoid....

MerrySherryRider

Visit site
I bought the easyboot RX when mine had a hoof abcess.http://www.thesaddleryshop.co.uk/P/Easyboot_RX_Hoof_Therapy_Boot_(Sizes_4_7)-(1080).aspx

Lovely boot, super comfortable but it was so slippery after heavy rain that I had to take it off before she fell over.
I also bought the hoof wrap bandage; http://www.equinepodiatrysupplies.co.uk/Boots/Hoof-Wraps-Hoof-Bandage/

Used it over a poultice well wrapped with tape and it was really good.
Then when the abcess was gone I used Keratex hoof putty. Absolutely great stuff. Despite very wet pasture it stayed in for ages and just needed refilling 3 times in 6 weeks.
If you warm a piece in your hand and then mould and press it fully into the hole it should stay in. Preferably let the horse stand on dry bedding before turning out so it protects the newly applied putty -or put in in and leave in stable while being fed.

My vet had reccomended putting shoes on or hoof boots but the putty enabled her to go out 24/7.

avthechav

Visit site
ahhh now I think that the equiwelli might just work... vet wants shoe back on next week and hole packied with iodine rather than putty just incase any miniscule amount of pus left (it really is a tricky place). He is confident that we are there but with all the standing water just said that keeping ginge stood in muddy water for hours on end isnt a great idea. I think that the welli thing could just do the job and he could go out for a few hours a day with it on......thanks guys!!

avthechav

Visit site
I will get one and report back on how we get on. Ginge is the most destructive horse I have ever met so if the equwelli survives him it will survive anything! :)

Christmas Crumpet

Visit site
I'm in the same boat and decided to get a poultice boot to be able to turn out.

Am trying this today...
http://www.shiresequestrian.co.uk/shop/product.php?productid=978&cat=574&page=2

Not entirely sure its meant to be used for turnout but had to turn horse out after a week as she's very bored and its not raining!!

Will let you know if it stays on all day. She has already tried to kick it off a few times but it didnt budge. Fingers crossed!!

Christmas Crumpet

Visit site
Boot stayed on all day but dressing came off inside it - I did only put it on with vet wrap though so probably why. Will try with silage tape tomorrow.

Can you use the equi welly with shoes on?

mightymammoth

Visit site
I'm not sure if the shoes are on I would think not as the show with the weight of the horse on will just crush it throug, may be ok for a couple of hours tho?

mightymammoth

Visit site
Caroline if you poultice then Vetwrap then nappy on then cut a large corner of a plastic feed bag and cover the whole hoof with that before putting the boot on it may help

mightymammoth

Visit site
Caroline that's that I do and I've got the same boot as you and have never had a problem that's with 24/7 turnout. Needs 2 to get the nappy on and off tho as it makes it very snug to the hoof. I've ordered the equiwelli tho will let you know how i get on

Christmas Crumpet

Visit site
I normally do poultice then nappy then vetwrap then silage tape.

Not sure where my brain was this morning!!

Think it will be quite a tug to get boot on over the top of all that!!!

loulabelle

Visit site
I have a filly who is field kept in boots at the minute, I brought her a few weeks ago as a pretty much unhandled 2 1/2 year old and a few days later she went lame in both front feet, she had an abcess in each and stabling her was not an option as she has never been in a stable (and went absolutely beserk and jumped out when she was put in one).
The ones I brought her are fantastic, keep the poltice clean and dry and stays secure on her hooves, if you would like me to find out the make I can do in the morning...I highly recommend them although they were around £120 for a pair

avthechav

Visit site
Thanks for all this peeps, the Epic Abscess has been getting both me ad Ginge down and so its nice to know that there are others in abscess hell with me!

I tried a shires poultice boot but couldnt get the large on...maybe i should try extra large or maybe his feet are just the wrong shape?

Right off to order an equiwelli now- he will have shoes on but may tape over the shoe to try to stop shoe ruining boot in the same way....

mightymammoth

Visit site
Thanks for all this peeps, the Epic Abscess has been getting both me ad Ginge down and so its nice to know that there are others in abscess hell with me!

I tried a shires poultice boot but couldnt get the large on...maybe i should try extra large or maybe his feet are just the wrong shape?

Right off to order an equiwelli now- he will have shoes on but may tape over the shoe to try to stop shoe ruining boot in the same way....

or duct tape a nappy on the bottom of his hoof before you put the boot on, you can get the value/smart price ones for about £1.50 for 20.