Recommend me a hoof supplement?

floradora09

Visit site
Can anyone recommend me an effective but also cost effective hoof supplement? For a horse's feet which crack. NAF biotin? Farriers formula? Any others? Cheers! xxx

tinkerbell88

Visit site
Newmarket Hoof Supplement is fantastic! I have used it on all different types of feet, tb's, wb's etc and had huge results with all of them and wouldn't use any other now.

When I first got my mare she had huge cracks in her feet which at their worst were about 2cms wide!! This supplement has transformed her feet and they are now strong and grow much faster to help the cracks grow out.

Good luck though! Bad feet are a nightmare!

FanyDuChamp

Visit site
I use Cornecruscine, which apparently is identical to Farrier's Formula (according to my farrier who worked on the tests of them) but is a lot cheaper. I like it as Cappy has poor feet, this helps them grow fast and keeps them in good condition.

floradora09

Visit site
Ok, thank you- will have a look at them! What about Vetvits EquiHoof? Anyone used that?

Also tinkerbell88, how long does a 5KG tub last you? Thanks! xx

loz9

Visit site
i use to use vetvits for my mare & it did nothing, but every hore is different so it may work for yours. I replied to your vet thread recommending Aviform Biodura. My mare went from losing shoes every couple of weeks to now being able to keep them on easily for 8wks.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
naf profeet, have tried formula 4 feet and plain biotin and they were rubbish! been on the profeet since last september and not a crack or crumble in sight.

the liquid is more palatable than the powder.

HammerTong

New User
Visit site

Hi there, I usually recomend Pro Feet to my customers. I have seen significant changes in some horses feet between shoeings, although not all feet respond as well as others.

Hels_Bells

Visit site
I have had really great success with Top Spec Healthy hooves. I don't know many other people who have used it but it worked brilliantly for me. Two tubs and we've never had to use another hoof supplement since.

L

lilym

Topspec no1 - have recommended this to lots of customers - all are pleased with it.

Spyda

Visit site
Formula 4 Feet supplement and Kevin Bacon Hoof Dressing applied 3 times a week. Recommended by my farrier and is working fantastically on terrible cracks and splits in my WBxTB's feet, which developed last summer whilst she was away at stud for several months. The, then, full length cracks are growing out really well and the new hoof growth is strong and pliable. I really recommend the above.

LMuirEDT

www.horsedentistry.org.uk
I use Formula 4 Feet and Kevin Bacon daily in dry months. Been on the F4F since about May 09 and they seem ok. My horse gets v dry, cracked feet in summer and farrier said will need to be on it at least a year to really make any difference.

Farrier recommends Kevin Bacon to our yard.

floradora09

Visit site
Thank you very much everyone, I will have a look about. Horse is question is one we are thinking of buying, he is currently on NAF biotin which owner says he does fine on but it seems that you need to feed rather a lot of it and it doesn't appear to be very cost effective? I'll take a look at the NAF profeet. xx

4leggedfurries

Sunny Somerset - surrounded by bare scorched field
Visit site
I have my boy on biotin and one cube of red jeely a day and he has fab feet now. His were awful when i bought him. I also use effol hoof ointment painted on daily to keep the hoof flexible. With regards to the biotin how much is he on a day?? My boy is on the reccomended 4 15ml scoops a day and a 2kg refil bag (£11.70 i think i pay for it) lasts me two months, so i dont know how you can say it isnt cost effective... Oh and the jelly costs me 7p a packet from morrisons.

TPO

Visit site
Horse First Hoof First; it was simply amazing.

My new farrier recommends applying normal hoof oil at least once a day to the whole hoof wall and have to say I've noticed more of an improvement doing that than using all the million and one other "special" dressings that I've tried over the years.

Gluttonforpunishment

Visit site
I used Keratex Hoof Hardner - worked absolute miracles on my old TB, he regularly threw shoes but within 6 months of using it he kept a full set from one farrier visit to the next.
Have found that GWF Nutrition Farriers aid has really helped my ID/TB, generally much improved horn growth and far fewer cracks.

domane

Visit site
Thinking laterally, the other thing that will help hoof improvement is to reduce the amount of sugar you feed too... no mollassed mixes or chaffs - plain hay rather than haylage and not too many carrots or apples. Can't do anything about the spring grass flush, but that will pass. Also feed a seaweed supplement or BOSS.

The other thing to consider is that the cracked hoof may be incorrectly balanced or have an infection.

(sorry for rambling... I'm 7 months into transitioning to shoeless with my boy and a little knowledge is worse than none at all!!!)

pocket

Visit site
I swear by biotin, Ralphs feet were really bad and have used it tor years and now use the the NAF product.....great

CBFan

Visit site
In tems of 'dressings' I swear by keratex hoof hardner applied as directed on the bottle (twice a week) and the rest of the time I use kevin bacon original dressing applied from the coronet down...

As for supps... one worth trying before you try all the expensive ones is just plain old seaweed... it's cheap and I know many people who have had success with it. good luck!