Recommend me a horsy mini break (I don't have a horse, and I don't want to just hack!)

flat3

Visit site
I'm looking to the HHO HiveMind for recommendations for a long weekend / mid week horsy break. Somewhere that has lovely, safe, confidence building horses, provides accommodation and offers a combination of hacking, flatwork and jumping. Ideally within 2 hours of Birmingham.

I lost my horse in early Dec and since then have had 2 surgeries on my ankle so I've only ridden intermittently. I'll buy a new horse this summer but given I won't be going on any other holidays this year (!) thought a horsy mini break - as soon as restrictions allow - would be fun and might help me get back in the swing of things before starting the purchasing rollercoaster.

Years ago, as a student, I spent my carefully saved pennies on a similar sounding holiday - only to be bitterly disappointed when it was completely rubbish. I don't want to make the same mistake again! Help please?

(I've included the 'I don't have a horse, and I don't want to just hack' in the title as my search through old threads throws up mostly these! I'm looking for a mix of lessons and hacking as I'm not sure my ankle will be up to 4-6 hour stints in the saddle...)

Last edited:

Sir barnaby

Visit site
I took my granddaughter on a 3 day riding holiday with unicorn trails, we did the neon valley near Peterborough, I am an experienced rider but my granddaughter is a novice so i booked a hacking trail so my granddaughter could learn to canter, I rode at her level, but there are several options depending what sort of riding you required teas a lovely experience the horses were mainly welsh cobs but again I’ve looked at different venues to do a different holiday with them in the future, so you can choose what type of horse suits you. We stayed at a small hotel which was 10 mins from the centre which was lovely. Google unicorn trails uk riding holidays. Good luck

Becc

Visit site
I know you say you don’t want to hack, but have a look at the FreeRein website. They do fab short breaks and they are proper multi day trail rides, not just short hacks. The horses are lovely, and there’s plenty of opportunity to trot and canter up the gorgeous Welsh hills. Not too far from Birmingham as they’re based near Hay-on-Wye. In the past I’ve ridden with them for several years and ended up buying one of their horses!

mossycup

Visit site
A trip to Scotland and book a xc lesson and flat lesson at Gleneagles? Stay close by or at the hotel if the budget stretches? What about a few days at Talland for schoolmaster lessons? Cumbria Heavy Horses are doing weekend experiences - they look fun and are for experienced riders only

flat3

Visit site
Replies much appreciated thank you!

I will amend my original post to say I'm looking for a mix of lessons and hacking as I'm not sure my ankle will be up to 4-6 hour stints in the saddle...

Last edited:

Spotherisk

Visit site
Pen Llyn on the Llyn peninsula in north Wales. Had a fab couple of days there a few years back, riding great horses, many Lusos, really good. I think we stayed just a few minutes away in a B&B but I seem to remember there was a pub with rooms too.

Northern Hare

Visit site
How about Talland School of Equitation? I've just looked the distance up, and it's about 80 miles SW of Birmingham. They've got details of the various short breaks on their website, which look great - individual or group lessons and it looks like you could tailor as necessary. ?

ponyparty

Visit site
Bank Farm Equestrian near Bewdley - only an hour or so from Brum!

I’ve been to one of their Camps with my own horse, and was booked to go again last year but it was postponed to this year - they’re now not doing the whole-weekend camp, as the accommodation is a 9 person barn, on the same site as the family home where there are vulnerable family members; but they’re doing mini one-day camps, and a variety of other activities. Hopefully proper camp will be back for next year!
Can mix it up with flatwork/jumping/XC schooling AND excellent hacking in the Wyre Forest. Good mixture of horses and not just standard riding school cob types, they do hunt hirelings too so have a selection of horses with a bit more about them/to suit all abilities. Highly recommend!

jnb

Visit site
Bank Farm Equestrian near Bewdley - only an hour or so from Brum!

I’ve been to one of their Camps with my own horse, and was booked to go again last year but it was postponed to this year - they’re now not doing the whole-weekend camp, as the accommodation is a 9 person barn, on the same site as the family home where there are vulnerable family members; but they’re doing mini one-day camps, and a variety of other activities. Hopefully proper camp will be back for next year!
Can mix it up with flatwork/jumping/XC schooling AND excellent hacking in the Wyre Forest. Good mixture of horses and not just standard riding school cob types, they do hunt hirelings too so have a selection of horses with a bit more about them/to suit all abilities. Highly recommend!
I am fairly local to here, It is apparently excellent however I am told the hacking isn't for the faint hearted just FYI

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
Pen Llyn on the Llyn peninsula in north Wales. Had a fab couple of days there a few years back, riding great horses, many Lusos, really good. I think we stayed just a few minutes away in a B&B but I seem to remember there was a pub with rooms too.

I stayed in the pub which was very pleasant. But not sure it will fit the OPs jumping bit of the brief.

ponyparty

Visit site
I am fairly local to here, It is apparently excellent however I am told the hacking isn't for the faint hearted just FYI

Yeah, it's great :p

They do cater for all different abilities though, with different types of hacks available - so just be honest with them about your capabilities and they should find a ride to meet your requirements :)

Pikachu

Visit site
Outside your 2 hours (but mostly one road from Birmingham) but maybe take a look a Poplar Park in Suffolk. I’ve done a couple of weekends there and I’m sure they do B&B accommodation although not used myself. They do a variety of lessons/hacks, have Sj and xc so will pretty much do what you want.

lamlyn2012

Visit site
Ingestre Stables, Staffordshire. Training by FBHS, BHSI or below. Good selection of horses. Hacking over Cannock Chase. On site accommodation.