Recommend me a lightweight Hi-Viz Jacket

Procrastination

Visit site
For hacking in...

Want something lightweight and waterproof/windproof that I can wear in the summer on wet days but that is also loose fitting enough that I can layer up fleeces under it during winter.
I already have a thick paddy hi viz bomber jacket but I rarely wear it as I find it too bulky.

Have been looking on cycling websites as their selection seems much better than equestrian sites but as I've never bought a cycling jacket I don't know what's good and what isn't! Budget max £100 for the ultimate jacket but I'd prefer to spend much less than that!
Should also add it doesn't need to be a cycling jacket, just thought that was a good place to start!

Thanks 😀

Mrs G

Visit site
Next time Aldi have running or cycling stuff, get yourself there;last time they had waterproof jackets in fluorescent pink or yellow; flattering, useful and cheap (think it was £20). BARGAIN.

SEL

Visit site
do any of them have zip up pockets for phones? After getting dumped yesterday I realised I need to carry mine with me and its fine in my winter coat but I need something for t-shirt weather (although we seem to fast be heading to winter right now!)

Procrastination

Visit site
Next time Aldi have running or cycling stuff, get yourself there;last time they had waterproof jackets in fluorescent pink or yellow; flattering, useful and cheap (think it was £20). BARGAIN.

Thanks. Am usually head to toe in Aldi gear - jodhs, tshirt, hi-viz gilet! I'm yet to buy a jacket from them but I'll keep my eyes peeled. Was hoping for something ASAP though really, I haven't got any patience lol

cobalobM

Visit site

ameeyal

Visit site
I have a equisafety mercury jacket it stands out a mile, its lightweight, but warm, and in certain light it just glows i paid £80

Procrastination

Visit site
Great to have to real life reviews, I tried to go on the mountain warehouse sit before but it said it was down for maintenance. I'll probably go for one of these, much cheaper than the cycling one I was looking at.

How waterproof are they? I'm planning on being out in all weathers this winter so want something that's going to keep me dry...horse may have other ideas about going out when it's chucking down though haha!

Newlands

Visit site
Is this enough to wear out hacking in normal light without an added tabard or does it only really come to life if it gets caught in headlights? I was eyeing this up last week and couldn't decide? OP, I sometimes pinch my husbands running jacket I bought him, it's very bright and lightweight and perfect for layering or even for warm days and was cheaper than a horsey type, can't remember the brand though.

Rlister89

Visit site
I got a cycling one from go outdoors. Cheap, does the job and has zip up pockets. Also has removeable sleeves so in summer i can wear it as a gilet.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site

NOW :)

I wear Mountain Whorehouse orange cycle jacket. Pockets over your bum are useful.

Last edited:

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
I have a pink mountain warehouse one and its lovely, really really light and has a pocket for my phone, vents for ventilation and elasticated/adjustable hem which I really like for riding. pretty sure its this one
https://www.mountainwarehouse.com/r...e-hi-viz-womens-jacket-p7052.aspx/bright pink
I got a size up so I can wear a jumper under it, but ive also worn it with just a tshirt and still fits well!
i have the yellow one, ok to ride in, wind proof and rain too, i use it in spring and autumn when i want sleeves. Pretty true to size :)

Jo1987

Visit site
I have an Aldi one too, it's great, very lightweight and very waterproof.
Don't ride through trees with the side ventilation zips open though - I managed to get myself hooked on a branch which luckily snapped before I got dragged off 😂

Spilletta

Visit site
Just bought a pink cycling jacket from Aldi tonight as they've just got their cycling Specialbuys in. Bought a large as hoping it will fit over my Racesafe. Will try it in the morning. (Also bought some Merino wool base and mid layers.)

Procrastination

Visit site

JulesRules

Visit site
Have a look at Dare 2 be cycling jackets. Decent quality but very reasonable.

I have a pink one that I wear for running, cycling and riding. It's lasted well and is wind and waterproof as well as breathable.

It's fairly close fitting but you can always go up a size? If has a cycling pocket at the back and a nice phone sized chest zipped pocket.

Coblover63

Visit site
Saw a nice lightweight hi-viz gilet in Ikea of all places yesterday - £4! With a zip front and zipped chest pocket. Nice floppy fabric too, not like the standard stiff cheapie hi-viz.

And yes, Aldi's latest cycle special buys actually started yesterday. Their winter equestrian sale is usually in October so keep your eyes peeled for that too.

Spilletta

Visit site
I tried my £16.99 pink Aldi cycling jacket this morning (from Specialbuys starting 29/9/16) and am very happy with it. Kept the early autumn chill at bay - although I always have an extra layer because of the Racesafe. I also wore my new base layer and then popped back into Aldi's this morning on way home to buy a couple more!

ETA: label on the jacket says it's water resistant but not sure how much of a heavy rain shower it would take.

Last edited:

Mildlander

Visit site
I use an Equisafety waistcoat, it's size adjustable to allow for layers underneath, fits with my air jacket or just a teeshirt as appropriate and has zip up front pockets for my phone. I hack in it year round. Not the cheapest out there but its done the job for at least a couple of years so far.

Procrastination

Visit site
Thanks all, have just been to mountain warehouse this morning. Tried on their jacket, I like it but the arms were really long on me? So I didn't buy it, going to have a look in Aldi and couple of cycling shops and if I can find anything will buy the mountain warehouse one

SuperH

Visit site
Another vote for the Mountain Warehouse Adrenaline jacket that has been mentioned already. I've got two, one in a bigger size for putting a thicker winter coat underneath. I got the pink colour, I've had lots of compliments from drivers saying how visible it is.

The arms are long on me too but they have the velcro fastener that keeps them at my wrist, so never had a problem with them feeling long. I've got short arms too.

TheEngineer

Visit site
For hacking in...

Want something lightweight and waterproof/windproof that I can wear in the summer on wet days but that is also loose fitting enough that I can layer up fleeces under it during winter.
I already have a thick paddy hi viz bomber jacket but I rarely wear it as I find it too bulky.

Have been looking on cycling websites as their selection seems much better than equestrian sites but as I've never bought a cycling jacket I don't know what's good and what isn't! Budget max £100 for the ultimate jacket but I'd prefer to spend much less than that!
Should also add it doesn't need to be a cycling jacket, just thought that was a good place to start!

Thanks 😀

Try these guys, their reflective stuff is awesome and waterproof/warm.

http://www.provizsports.com/en-gb/?gclid=CKeXiML7vM8CFQkq0wodB5cJ4A

poiuytrewq

Visit site
I have the light weight Equisafety. I bought it thinking the same that I could layer in winter. It's no good in warmer weather though, even being light I find it quite warm.
Good secure pockets and a high neck though.

TTK

Visit site
Luna Rider do a good range and are very reasonable. I have 2 weights of jacket and a very useful hi viz zip up gillet which also has zip pockets for phone, keys etc. Going strong after at least 5 years and many washes.

I've got a Luna Rider lightweight jacket which must be at least 7 years old and still going strong. It was a good buy & is very comfortable and has useful zip-up pockets.