Recommend me a seat saver.

PapaverFollis

Visit site
I've lost all my lard padding on my backside! ? I can feel my seat bones in my treed saddle and I do not like it. I still haven't got my lovely treeless saddle to work on MrT so my seat is in need of saving!

Help!

I'm leaning towards the inexpensive Shires Supafleece ones. I don't think I need more than just a soft layer of softness. Of course I'm looking at all kinds and getting myself confused. Do I need real lambskin? Do I need memory foam? No gel, definitely no gel...

I'll probably ignore you all and get the Shires but appreciate input, especially if you have a Shires one and it's awful or anything!

MuddyMonster

Visit site
The Shires Supafleece does me fine :) I probably replace it every year or so as it does wear away, but I do a fair amount of miles & hours in it each year so works out super cost effective.

Sealine

Visit site
In the past I’ve been very happy with a Heather Moffatt seat saver. It was stolen with my saddle and I don’t find I need one on the new saddle.

Meredith

riding reluctantly into the sunset
the sat-nav is wrong, go farther up the hill
Visit site
I have tried quite a few seat savers.
I found sheepskin became matted and then wore away.
The Heather Moffatt developed folds across the suede-y stuff. It was unyielding to sit on too.
The Shires super fleece is fine bit doesn’t have much padding.
The Acavallo gel out was good but seems heavy.
ATM I am not using one at all but I still have an Acavallo and a Shires in the tack cupboard just in case.

GoldenWillow

Visit site
I had a HM and never really got on with it, could never get it so that the fixings didn't dig in somewhere. If it got wet it took ages to dry out and it wasn't the comfiest in cold weather.

I like my acavello gel in but agree it's surprisingly weighty.

I love my Christ Lamfelle pad so if I was looking to buy one now would look at sheepskin.

chaps89

Visit site
There is an acavello gel one that has a fabric covering, not the horrible gel sticky evilness, that’s nice.
But tbh when it comes to comfort, you can’t beat a sheepskin one imo. Toasty warm for winter and nice and squidgy.

nutjob

Visit site
I have an acavallo gel in so you sit on the fabric not the weird gel. I love it but I got it for a different reason in that I have arthritis and the shock absorbing helps, not a problem of lack of padding.

Widgeon

Visit site
I currently have an Accavello Gel Out & it's super comfy.....I also love a sheepskin seat saver, but they are more for winter.

I have one of these too and I really like it. Also it doesn't absorb rain in the same way that a fleecy one (real or synthetic) does. The only thing I'd say is that they are quite chunky (and weighty, as GoldenWillow says, so if your saddle seat is on the small side for you, you may feel a bit squeezed.

Nasicus

Visit site
Another fan of the Acavallo Gel Out. Didn't get on with the HM Seat Saver personally, felt perched on top of the saddle.

Nasicus

Visit site
I'm laughing at the idea of under my backside being a good home... ? But I wouldn't say no... Heather Moffett ones are pricey and a layer of fleece might be enough...
I have a HM Seatsaver for sale, £20. I never got on with it and it's been stored since lol

Reacher

Visit site
The shires one is quite thin - so not as cushioning as real sheepskin - also I found it slipped a bit but if you stitched some of that sticky fabric to the underside that would help.
I stopped using a seat saver as saddle is quite comfortable.

PM me your details if you want it - not sure when am next going to post office.

Fransurrey

Visit site
The fleece ones will soon flatten and I find they move around too much when getting on or off. If you want comfy but not gel, I'd go for the Acavallo gel in, as you get the squidge but not the sticky.

J&S

Visit site
I have had seat savers made out of old beaver lamb (brown dies sheep skin NOT real beavers!) coats. They can be bought very cheaply at auction, my local rug washer/mender made the last one up for me. Very cosy and made to measure. A seat saver is a must for OAP riding!

Ratface

Visit site
I had a HM and never really got on with it, could never get it so that the fixings didn't dig in somewhere. If it got wet it took ages to dry out and it wasn't the comfiest in cold weather.

I like my acavello gel in but agree it's surprisingly weighty.

I love my Christ Lamfelle pad so if I was looking to buy one now would look at sheepskin.
Another one here who loves Christ Lammfelle! Both Old Horse and I are bony creatures and it suits very well.
I checked their current price: now £400+ more than when I bought mine. ?

Widgeon

Visit site
MrPF ordered me a Heather Moffett one while I was still prevarication and swithering. So hopefully that will do the trick!

PF if you find you want to try an Acavallo I have a brown gel out that I need to sell - it turns out my saddle is very much havana, not brown, and the brown seat saver looks a bit daft on it (IMO). Would need to check the size.