Recommend me a top/baselayer for riding in

Kat

Visit site
I need some new tops for riding in, during autumn, winter and spring. I have plenty of t-shorts and polos for summer. I know what I like but I am struggling to find it so hoped someone could recommend something.

My current favourite tops for riding in are from Aldi during their running/skiing/hiking special buys. They have a high neck and a three quarter zip with long sleeves. The shape of a fleece top but they aren't fleece, they are a smooth lycra outer with a brushed inner. I would like something similar but I am struggling to find it.

I have tried the Le Mieux baselayers, and they are fine for warm weather but I want something thicker, and not quite so tight/clingy. I like the look of the Holland Cooper Loose Fit Base Layer but I don't like the massive logos or the price!

I'm trying to avoid fleece, partly because horse hair and hay sticks to it, and partly because of the environmental issues around microplastics being released when you wash them. I don't like hooded tops at all so no hoodies.

Can anyone recommend something that fits the bill?

Thanks in advance :)

HappyHollyDays

Slave to 2 cats and 2 ponies
Visit site
I was going to suggest the Aldi ones as they are great quality for a very good price. Anything similar which is both breathable and wickable such as merino from anywhere else will be around the £70+ mark other than maybe Decathlon who do excellent base layers.

Kat

Visit site
Nothing specific but I'd try some outdoor gear shops rather than horsey brands. They're usually much cheaper for pretty much the same things. Mountain Warehouse is usually pretty reasonable.

I generally prefer non-horsey brands as they are better technically and less money. So much of it is fleece though.

I have looked in a few hiking/outdoors places recently, and decathlon with no joy.

Kat

Visit site
I was going to suggest the Aldi ones as they are great quality for a very good price. Anything similar which is both breathable and wickable such as merino from anywhere else will be around the £70+ mark other than maybe Decathlon who do excellent base layers.

I have been scouring aldi weekly for ages, they haven't had this type of top in for ages.

My friend has the perfect top from decathlon but when I went in I couldn't find anything that wasn't either fleece, cotton or very thin (designed to be worn under a fleece I guess).

Kat

Visit site

MuddyMonster

Visit site
I wear a lot of Karrimor running tops which I really like.

I do like Aubrion & Noble Outfitters base layers too :) Oh, I have a great one from Dublin too.

criso

Coming over here & taking your jobs since 1900
Visit site
I've got an Ariat polartec one that's smooth outer but brushed lining, picked up in a sale. I believe their new stuff meets environment standards. Must be over 10 years old and looks new so lasted well.

Reactions: Kat

flat3

Visit site
Last edited:

Kat

Visit site
I knew I could count on HHO!!! Great suggestions thanks!

The Kramer and Karrimor ones look just the job and reasonably priced too.

I will keep looking at all suggestions though, thank you :)

rextherobber

Visit site
I also recommend Decathalon stuff, the ones I get are running ones, have reflective bits on, were under £10,. Can't remember the name of them, but they're the ones with the bit in the sleeve you put your thumb through. They are thin, but toasty.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
I have some Dark horse equestrian ones that are quite nice they seem heavy material than some of the others I have, I sometimes wear a thin thermal long sleeve top under the base layer if its particularly cold.

little_critter

Visit site
I have a Dare 2 Be base layer (bought from Mole Valley) that sounds similar. Stretchy, shiny outer but slightly brushed inside. It’s also fairly similar to the Hy Sport Active base layer I have.