Recommend me a veteran feed please

SillySausage

Visit site
Ok so I want to move my 20 y/o horse on to a veteran feed. Had made my mind up on D&H Veteran Cubes ... but does anywhere near me stock them? Do they hell.... mix only. Jacob and mix do not mix. Pun intended!

The feed merchant had Allen&Pages Veteran cubes ... any good?

Or does anybody have any other recommendations?

SillySausage

Visit site
Is there a reason you want to move him onto a veteran feed?

I've had him on conditioning cubes for the past two years and they've really done their job.

This year he came into winter overweight due to an injury, so I want a feed that will keep his weight on but not over do it. The conditioning cubes are unfortunatly conditioning him just a bit too well despite him working for 30-90 minutes 5/6 days a week.

I was recommended the D&H veteran mix because it is supposed to do just that, and has added glucosamine etc.

MissMistletoe

Visit site
Another vote for 16+.

Put weight on my aged pony and didnt blow her brain either!. I thought that they might have done even thought the cubes are supposed to be less heating than the mix!

pipsqueek

Visit site
My 21 y.o (still hunting etc) is fed on meadowmix, speedi-beet and chop. I used to have her on molassed chop but have her on dengie alfa-a now, (which I bought by mistake when meaning to buy hi-fi lite for my other mare...don't ask!!) she loves it and eats everything with this mixed in (she is a bit of a fuss-pot) She is a tb x connie and looks the best she's looked at this time of year for a while! I only add a joint supplement, so havn't needed to buy a specific 'oldie' mix

Roasted Chestnuts

Visit site
I found the 16+ expensive for the amount you had to feed to make it do anything. I went through a bag in 6 days and at £16+ a bag I wasnt paying that when I can get a months worth of VV for £21.

JennBags

HHOSS Wonder Woman
Visit site
I feed my 29yo on a&p veteran vitality, he looks amazing on it, his coat shines, and he feels like a 5 yo :D

He's also on pink powder & I use alfa-a oil as a chaff.

eggs

Visit site
Got my 28 year old retired polo pony (he's had a hard life) on Allen & Page Veteran Vitality. It is tiny pellets which I feed with Alfa A Oil well soaked to a mash with speedo set. Definitely seems to have made a difference.