Recommend me a winter yard/riding jacket...

WoodfordFox

Visit site
... that will keep out wind, rain and cold, not make me look like a michelin man, and that costs less than than the average horse!

Can it be done? I like the look of the Mountain Horse Winnipeg jacket, but I need some seriously good reviews before I shell out that much.

Over to you...

tigers_eye

Visit site
When I was in the UK I always went to TK Maxx for my jackets and sweaters for riding. Much cheaper than tack shops and often better, particularly if you can get your hands on a good ski jacket.

Mavis007

Visit site
I have started using outdoor clothing websites, they often have good sales on. www.outdoorkit.co.uk, webtogs.co.uk and gaynors.co.uk are worth a look. I have found the proper goretex jackets e.g. berghaus, mountain equipment etc are much more waterproof than a lot of equestrian ones and you can often get them half price. It just depends on how fashionable you want to be with equestrian named clothing ;)

Keenjean

Visit site
Musto combination jacket, they're awesome!! And you can use it all year as the inner gilet zips out! If your feeling flush, Pikeur coats are the absolute best but ££££, love mine to bits

TarrSteps

Visit site
I really like Mountain Horse stuff generally, but I'm another one who haunts bargain outlets and charity shops for yard wear. I just feel a whole lot better about the inevitable destruction of my clothes if I haven't paid full freight for them! If I could I'd wear North Face all the time but can't justify it for the horses and have an issue with "advertising for free" on my clothes. :)

It's worth saying, too, that even the best tech wear is meant to be regularly washed and reproofed. It really makes a huge difference to how jackets look and work if you do them regularly.

robthecob

Visit site
Another vote for musto, I much prefer to layer up even in the depths of winter as I always find once I start shovelling poop I warm up fairly quick.

I have a musto paddock jacket I think, it's warm, waterproof and also nice looking, In winter I normally just layer some thermals a long sleeve top and a body warmer underneath, by the time I come to ride the jacket without the body warmer is perfect.

I do havi a ski jacket for leaving the house/getting to the yard in.. Plus 1 driving glove as my car has a metal gear stick which is painful in the cold :-/

SpottedCat

Visit site
I'm another who uses proper outdoor gear almost exclusively. The stuff made by horsey companies is so behind the times in terms of technical fabrics etc. I pretty much exclusively wear merino wool tops these days (icebreaker if I am feeling super-flush and there is a sale on, decathlon if not!!), and then waterproofs from a proper outdoor shop - none of the cheap nasty brands like Karrimore - I go for mountain hardwear, TNF, Arcteryx etc. I work outside in all weathers and hate being wet/cold. I am yet to find decent waterproof trousers to ride in but do have several pairs of decent overtrousers, so why they can't make them for riding is beyond me!

WoodfordFox

Visit site
Thank you all for the advice! Keep the ideas / recommendations coming!

Will def check out Musto - I have their summer show jacket which is a lovely (dare I say feminine?!) fit and has washed really well ie stayed waterproof! I have a ski jacket, but I find it too warm and a bit on the bulky side for riding, though I might change my mind when the snow comes. I liked my Rambo Perform, but it's no longer waterproof and every zip on it has broken, so won't be buying another.

Re excellent waterproof trousers, I've been meaning to quiz the work riders at the racing stables near me - they all have ace-looking breeches with sticky-bum and knee patches. I'm sure they're not cheap so they wouldn't all be using them if they didn't work! Will let you know when I find out....

stencilface

High upon a hillside
Visit site
I have been searching out for a warm, waterproof pair of overalls for two years now, Dickies do some great ones, but the smallest size they have is a man's medium (who by all accounts is a very tall fat man!). I just want them for doing the stables in the morning and evening during the week in the winter, something I can leave in my wellies so I can just step into them first thing, they don't need to be suitable for riding. Plus it would nice to have something I could leave in the utility so I don't trail stink and straw all the way upstairs :rolleyes:

Then, on another post here I re-engaged my brain and remembered about all in one ski suits (the modern ones, not the 80s fluoro jobs!) - you can get them for £30 - Trespass, and fully waterproof :D

now_loves_mares

Visit site
Another vote for Musto. My first Combination jacket lasted 5 years, in fact it's still fine except the zip went so I'd have to tie it up with bailer twine like an old bag lady :rolleyes:.

Also agree about Icebreaker - my standard birthday and christmas present now - their (bank busting) thermal leggings are out of this world.

WoodfordFox

Visit site
Then, on another post here I re-engaged my brain and remembered about all in one ski suits (the modern ones, not the 80s fluoro jobs!) - you can get them for £30 - Trespass, and fully waterproof :D[/QUOTE]

I was bidding for ski all-in-ones on ebay last year! Thought everyone in the yard would think I was mad....

kerilli

Visit site
Musto are good and very snuggly (the fleece lined ones) but not truly waterproof ime.
TKMaxx for ski jackets is a great tip, the good ones really do stay waterproof.
As above, I go for outdoor gear rather than horsey gear. A long sleeved base, good fleece, really good down-filled bodywarmer (North Face or Berghaus) + thin waterproof jacket + ski neckwarmer (turtlefur are the best imho) = proof against all weathers!

charlimouse

Visit site
Musto are good and very snuggly (the fleece lined ones) but not truly waterproof ime.
TKMaxx for ski jackets is a great tip, the good ones really do stay waterproof.
As above, I go for outdoor gear rather than horsey gear. A long sleeved base, good fleece, really good down-filled bodywarmer (North Face or Berghaus) + thin waterproof jacket + ski neckwarmer (turtlefur are the best imho) = proof against all weathers!

Turtlefur, now that brings back memories :rolleyes:!!!! I've been using turtlefurs ever since I first started skiing as a 5yo, and I remember asking my mum one day where on the turtle did the fur come from :eek: (yes I thought it was made from fur from a turtle). I was probably about 7 or 8 at the time :rolleyes:!!!

Still use the turtlefur on the yard in winter (I do now know it is fleece not fur from a turtle!) and they are very good.

Sorry nothing particularly useful to add, but got all excited when I saw the word turtlefur! (please blame the amout of painkillers I am currently on :rolleyes::eek:!)

Fairy Dust

Visit site
I love the Pikeur jackets as they are one of the only brands that fit me on arm length!

Other than that, as mentioned the Ski jackets are great and often warmer than the equestrian wear! :)

Wolfie

Visit site
I have a Mountain Horse Grace jacket. Bought it about 6 years ago, and it has been one of the best purchases I ever made. I hate the cold, and it keeps me pretty warm - shame they don't make them for hands!!

Kat

Visit site
Like Spotted Cat I wouldn't bother with the horsey brands they are well behind the times on technology. Mountain Horse and Musto are probably the best of them but they lag woefully behind the hiking/climbing/cycling/fell running kit. Who knows why.... often the stuff is just as expensive.

I wrote a long post on another thread this morning, have a look here: http://www.horseandhound.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=484008

Kat

Visit site
Oh yes, I second the recommendation of Icebreaker, although there are a few cheaper alternatives, Helly Hansen now do merino wool base layers, and Smart Wool are very good too, I have a lovely smart wool base layer with a zip up turtle neck, nice enough to wear on its own but lovely and warm if you layer up.

I like a buff to keep my neck sung.

Baggybreeches

www.photobucket.com
The best yard jacket I ever had was a Mountain Horse, but it was donated by a wealthy livery when she bought a new one. I wore it until it fell off me ;)
Now I tend to use outdoor gear in particular anything made for motorbikes or skiing. For layers I go to Lidl and Aldi their ski/bike stuff is absolutely top notch, and so much cheaper than Pikeur!
Disclaimer: Aldi and Lidl do not understand the matchy matchy concept so may look like something the dog puked up but you will be warm!
And if you suffer from cold, UnderArmour are expensive but so very worth it!

Last edited: